🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Posting Messages saying' Don't bump the thread' when it wasnt bumped

Options

Comments

• Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Moneybot wrote: »
    Bumping can be annoying if for example you have subscribed to a thread to get notifications of a new post.

As per my post earlier, I simply cannot understand why anyone would be subscribed to the threads posted in some of the examples on this post? These are simple competition posts, one offs, no further answers needed etc, so why would you need to be subscribed? Being subscribed would be the only way I can think of that bumping would really annoy you unless I am really missing something here?
    The best things in life are free.....
  • kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Brethren, Rules is rules. and they should be respected, but not adhered to like the letter of the law.
    Out of interest, is it posted in the 'rules' anywhere on here that people are not to bump posts, or is it just forum etiquette? I've been here a long time and thus I've not read the rules for a while so not sure myself?
    Bumping can be annoying if for example you have subscribed to a thread to get notifications of a new post. For example when the next day answer is posted or in the case of the car comp when a new portal or a gold car is reported. If the thread is then bumped with chat you end up getting emails when you don't need to.

It is also annoying if there is a mix of good and bad bumps and you have to read through to check what you might need to know.

I still can't fathom out what all the 'hoohah' is about though. It all seems a bit of an overreaction to a relatively minor problem. Comping is supposed to be a fun enjoyable hobby and I really don't see that it's worth getting your knickers in a twist over a bumped post!

IMO, Receiving an email because a thread has been bumped is not a huge inconvenience. Particularly as the majority of the time the bumps are useful.
    Besides, comping in itself generates a huge amount of emails as it is anyway - I get at least 300+ a day..... that's just a by product of my very enjoyable hobby that I can tolerate if it means I win a TV/holiday/cash etc
    Also reading through posts is just a normal part of comping. I spend a significant amount of time skim and scanning T&C's, entry conditions etc, so if I have to spend 3 seconds (max) scrolling past one irrelevant post it's not going to impact on my day in the slightest.

I think a lot of people should consider the way they comp and if they have 'gripes', rather than take it out on people here they should adjust the way they comp to avoid the issues.
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Luckyone wrote: »
    Please do not use the phrase "Bumping Police" as it is offensive

Thank You xxx

Sometimes if a comp is "bumped" by loads of ppl to say it's not working or it is working, for example, this can be annoying but in general it does not bother me, if I have hit the entered button then I more than likely wouldn't even bother to see why it has been bumped!! I come here, do my comps end of....

What I do notice is when I bother to look is you Luckyone telling ppl not to bump, you do seem to be a tad over zealous in "telling ppl" off:o Maybe lighten up a little? It's not the end of the world if someone "bumps" a comp.
  • kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As per my post earlier, I simply cannot understand why anyone would be subscibed to the threads posted in some of the examples on this post? These are simple competition posts, one offs, no further answers needed etc, so why would you need to be subscribed? Being subscribed would be the only way I can think of that bumping would really annoy you unless I am really missing something here?

Plus you don't have to receive email notification when you subscribe - you select this when you subscribe.

Here's how I use subscriptions
    I've only got 4 or 5 out of all posts that I subscribe to, that I receive email notifications for.
    1) The Daily Mail Barratt home one (to remind me to add the code each day)
    2) The Citreon Seeker one so that I get updates on any new finds
    3) The Win a trip to NZ - for when new codes are found
    4) The Conti4x4Trophy so I get notified of the new answers
    Any other posts that are of a similar nature I will also subscribe to in this way. There's not much point me subscribing to any other comps (unless they are ongoing/regularly updated)

Furthermore I'm also subscribed to a number of 'daily' competitions but I don't have these set to receive email notification. I subscribe to these for two reason:
    1) Mainly because it adds the 'subscription icon' next to the thread, this means as I scroll through the pages of the forum, although I see a green tick which tells me I've entered, because it's also got the subscription icon I know that it's a comp I want to enter again/daily. That way I can easily identify it as I work my way through the boards.

2) I've created a folder in my subscriptions called 'daily' competitions - I browse through that folder to check I've entered all the dailies I want to (if I've missed them on my travels through the board).
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 April 2013 at 4:34PM
    Options
    kisto wrote: »
    Out of interest, is it posted in the 'rules' anywhere on here that people are not to bump posts, or is it just forum etiquette? I've been here a long time and thus I've not read the rules for a while so not sure myself?
    8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=24817

From the comping guide..
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121
    Examples of the gentle smilies:

URL%5Dpleasedontbumpso7.png Useful when perhaps a newer comper decides they have to post a personal thank you message for each comp, as well as hitting the 'Thanks' button

dontbump.png
    The above, I think could be used more often!!
  • Luckyone
    Luckyone Posts: 23,016 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    mclarkie wrote: »

I did use the stick but it got taken off :p
    This Post Has Been Sponsored By
    Chocolate
  • Luckyone
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    aaroncaz wrote: »
    Sometimes if a comp is "bumped" by loads of ppl to say it's not working or it is working, for example, this can be annoying but in general it does not bother me, if I have hit the entered button then I more than likely wouldn't even bother to see why it has been bumped!! I come here, do my comps end of....

What I do notice is when I bother to look is you Luckyone telling ppl not to bump, you do seem to be a tad over zealous in "telling ppl" off:o Maybe lighten up a little? It's not the end of the world if someone "bumps" a comp.

Thank You for using my name :T

I choose to try & keep the main comp board free from unnecessary bumping according to the forum rule as it messes up the board
    Chocolate
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Luckyone wrote: »
    I did use the stick but it got taken off :p

I told you why; not enough braid ;)
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • Luckyone
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I told you why; not enough braid ;)

:rotfl: :T
    Chocolate
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,790 Forumite