We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Posting Messages saying' Don't bump the thread' when it wasnt bumped

Options

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    when people reply to a thread with extra information what exactly is the problem with a thread being bumped with that extra info? For example the fur one, it is relevant.

The way this is going I can see all new posts will be locked then nobody can reply :mad:

The fur one did not add extra information it was an opinion based on the original post, later found to be incorrect as it appears not to be real fur.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rolybear wrote: »

The bump was posted only 4 minutes after the comp was posted; the competition would still have been on the first page and therefore I don't see an issue with this.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • mjm3346
    Options
    Rolybear wrote: »
    That's what is frustrating about it there is no way that post #2 inconvenienced anyone yet they are still reprimanded for it

It means there is another post to be looked at in the thread in case it adds something useful, that is an inconvenience/waste of time for anyone not interested in the "chat" also if it is left unchecked as it slides down the board it is more likely to encourage someone to add another "thanks" etc post to it.

(None of this really bothers me since the cross/tick system came in it is easy to spot what you have seen or not and I don't enter a high volume of comps but I can see the point of not bumping.)
  • Luckyone
    Luckyone Posts: 23,016 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wow,

So many people talking about little me :j

I am growing a rhino skin as I type :D
    This Post Has Been Sponsored By
    Chocolate
  • merdoom
    merdoom Posts: 815 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2013 at 2:00PM
    Options
    A

I would be more concerned about the very irritating habit some have of saying "this is a dupe, hang on I'll go check" and then come back to say "edit, its here" or "edit, its ok its not". Can't people please check if its a dupe first before posting lol There thats my whine for the day :)

Imo, the first wasn't worthy of the bump police, its just getting petty.

And I think regarding the quote above, its usually to warn people it may be a dupe asap so others hold off entering (and possibly disqualifying themselves) while the poster searches, we all know the search function can be iffy at best!
  • mjm3346
    Options
    If I find a dupe (rare) I post on it and say something like "dupe merge details to be added" then edit it once I've sent the merge request.
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2013 at 2:14PM
    Options
    The problem with bumping while it's on the first page is that other people then bump too "because it's on the first page" and we end up losing new posts in a load of waffle that has no relevance to the actual comps.

If there's a valid reason to post, no problem at all.

Another one is if a comp isn't working, you find that 6, 7, sometimes more people post the exact same thing, It's not working, yes we know it isn't so why not bump when it is?

With newbies they should all have to read the comping guide and confirm that they have before being able to post on the comps forum itself. (Not chat thread etc)
    This would save problems with not posting comps in the correct format etc too and in turn give the bgs less work.
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• mjm3346
    Options
    Daphne01 wrote: »
    With newbies they should all have to read the comping guide and confirm that they have before being able to post on the comps forum itself. (Not chat thread etc)
    This would save problems with not posting comp in the correct format etc too and it turn give the bgs less work.

What annoys me more than self promotion is they don't make the effort to at least post it right.
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 April 2013 at 2:07PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=serenity2012;60412775
    I would be more concerned about the very irritating habit some have of saying "this is a dupe, hang on I'll go check" and then come back to say "edit, its here" or "edit, its ok its not". Can't people please check if its a dupe first before posting lol There thats my whine for the day :)[/QUOTE]

I'm guilty of such conduct.There it is I confess:D

I can often recall a comp mentally & will post such whilst I get the link.If it is not a dupe I usually delete my post.

It just serves as a warning to others to hold off entering in the interim.I cannot see how it could cause offence to anyone but nothing on here will fail to make me wonder.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 April 2013 at 2:10PM
    Options
    I would be more concerned about the very irritating habit some have of saying "this is a dupe, hang on I'll go check" and then come back to say "edit, its here" or "edit, its ok its not". Can't people please check if its a dupe first before posting lol There thats my whine for the day :)

I too am also guilty of this ... I only do it when i'm 99.9999999% certain that it is a duplicate posting and do it merely to prevent others entering and voiding their previous entry.

You can please some of the people some of the time
    All of the people some of the time
    Some of the people all of the time
    But you can never please all of the people all of the time
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport