We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Competitions with real fur as a prize & comments in comp posts

Options

Comments

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've only just seen all of these comments and would like to apologise to everyone for posting the comp with the fur stole. I didn't read it properly in the first place when the email popped into my in-box and had I realised that it was real fur I would have deleted it.
    Very sorry for the offence x

I think it's still fair to post it, as much as I personally hate it there are probably plenty who would like to enter. I wouldn't take offence at it being posted as such (I am disappointed that companies offer it as a prize but that's another matter!).

But as long as someone who does notice states it in the thread then people can be free to enter or not.
  • Luckyone
    Luckyone Posts: 23,016 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    weeowens wrote: »
    Please don't feel that you have anything to apologise for.

In my view the comp is perfectly valid.We all have views on issues eg meat eating.Will we ban comps for meat prizes next :D

I totally agree. Personal opinions to certain comps should not be put onto you to make you feel bad about posting the comp.

You posted a comp & that I am greatfull for
    This Post Has Been Sponsored By
    Chocolate
  • angiesandhu
    angiesandhu Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am also glad of the "bump" on that thread as it made me not enter and I didnt waste my time.
  • EMMAP
    EMMAP Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't apologise for posting bossladysal.

As for the follow ups.....of course it should have been pointed out it was real fur. In the same way I wouldn't hesitate to point out that a prize was gluten free, organic, with or without flights. Then people can decide if they want to enter.

It's HELPFUL. I agree that any discussion following on from that shouldn't be on the main comp page but pointing it out in the first place?

Thanks purple.
    Debt free 6th December 2014 :)

'Kindness is a simple act to show someone that you see them and that they're worth it'
  • Kirri
    Options
    Luckyone wrote: »
    Ok then,

If it was classed as ok to bump a competition because some people on the forum do not like real fur products as prizes (I am not giving my opinion either way if I think it is right or wrong to have a real fur product as a prize because I don't think it's something that has relevance to this debate) then should we have warnings on the comp posts that are giving fishing rods as prizes as this could cause hard to fish?

Or should we have written on every chocolate Easter comp that the prize may contain nuts because I am allergic to nuts?

Every comp is posted, it is up to each person to enter it or not. If you did enter the comp & won it & you found out it was made of real fur & you don't want this then refuse the prize or send it back, un like them if entering on FF & un follow them if on twitter

It just needs to state what it is then people can make a choice.

The issue here is that people are being 'told off' for alerting others to what it is, as it wasn't clear.
  • Luckyone
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Kirri wrote: »
    It just needs to state what it is then people can make a choice.

The issue here is that people are being 'told off' for alerting others to what it is, as it wasn't clear.

No the issue is that the main comp board is for comps, the bump was a personal dislike to what the comp was made of.

This converastion needs to be in the chat corner not the main board,that;s the only debate for me as I have said my views on fur are not important on a comping forum
    Chocolate
  • Juzza12
    Juzza12 Posts: 810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It wasn't a conversation it was a case of pointing something out to alert other compers who may have entered on auto pilot and not paid much attention to the details.

If you feel people are bumping threads then perhaps PM'ing them would serve better as they may not even visit the thread again to understand their 'wrong doing'.

The thread in question here has been bumped due to you having a conversation.

I agree a PM would be better to tell people not to bump for the reason you've given as well as the fact that the post telling them obviously just bumps it again.
  • Luckyone
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I don't think please don't bump the thread is a conversation

The person who bumped my bump had the conversation

I have had rude reply's to PM's so I stick to making a plain post on the thread bumped, this also stops other people from saying what they think usually & bumping further
    Chocolate
  • Kirri
    Options
    No the issue is that the main comp board is for comps, the bump was a personal dislike to what the comp was made of.

This converastion needs to be in the chat corner not the main board,that;s the only debate for me as I have said my views on fur are not important on a comping forum

If it wasn't in the original post then it's valid to correct it by adding to the thread - there are very many people who would not enter if they realised what it was.

Same as with any comp without a clear indication of what the prize is.
  • Juzza12
    Juzza12 Posts: 810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It wasn't just stating a personal dislike, Purple_X was also pointing out that it was real fur and they have also said that was the case in this thread also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport