Competitions with real fur as a prize & comments in comp posts

Options
OneYorkshireLass
OneYorkshireLass Posts: 3,166 Forumite
First Post
edited 3 April 2013 at 9:57PM in Compers chat corner
Following on from the discussion here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=60405619&highlight=real+fur#post60405619

I didn't want to add to that thread, but just wanted to say there was another one recently where people kept saying that they weren't entering because they didn't agree with it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4492307&highlight=real+fur

If MSE-rs want to complain to the company involved then that's fine too of course, but can we restrict the comp posts to comp posts and the moral posts to CCC?

And all comments about how much 'nattering' should be done in the competition threads on the main board are welcome ... this seems to be a bone of contention at the moment. So let's [STRIKE]argue[/STRIKE] discuss it in a mature manner here :p

Comments

• purple_x
    purple_x Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry everyone.
    That was me who posted on todays comp thread....it wasn't just to say I wasn't entering, it was to point out part of the prize was real fur so I thought my comment had something to do with the prize/post.
    Was just letting people know in case they missed it.
  • Luckyone
    Luckyone Posts: 23,016 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It's Ok Purple, it's obviously something you feel strongly about. It's just not the right place to put the conversation.

the main comp board is just for that, comps. Any other type of conversation is for this section the compers chat corner.

xxx
    This Post Has Been Sponsored By
    Chocolate
  • Juzza12
    Juzza12 Posts: 809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    purple_x wrote: »
    Sorry everyone.
    That was me who posted on todays comp thread....it wasn't just to say I wasn't entering, it was to point out part of the prize was real fur so I thought my comment had something to do with the prize/post.

You posted to point out it was real fur, I think you were right to post it in the thread.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    purple_x wrote: »
    Sorry everyone.

Very valid point.

I'd rather it was pointed out in the thread so I don't enter for something so disgusting.

If it was posted in chat, I'd probably miss it so I personally think this is one case it should be in the thread.
  • OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    Options
    Luckyone wrote: »
    It's Ok Purple, it's obviously something you feel strongly about. It's just not the right place to put the conversation.

the main comp board is just for that, comps. Any other type of conversation is for this section the compers chat corner.

xxx

It wasn't a conversation it was a case of pointing something out to alert other compers who may have entered on auto pilot and not paid much attention to the details.

If you feel people are bumping threads then perhaps PM'ing them would serve better as they may not even visit the thread again to understand their 'wrong doing'.

The thread in question here has been bumped due to you having a conversation.
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah the bump or not to bump question!

I must admit in general I don't like bumping of comp posts probably because it annoys my ocd side and because I'm nosy I find myself returning to comps have entered to find out why they have been bumped.

On the other hand some bumps are good but where to draw the line?

First bump to say it's not working good; second bump unnecessary.
    First bump to say it's working again good; second bump different browser?
    Pointing out something in the terms and conditions that might be important when deciding when to enter? Depends on what you think is important.

Posting all the passwords in the house comp to date when they are all not only already in the thread but in the first two posts. I would have said unnecessary bumping or rather I did say that and got shot down in flames for it.

And why is there now more chat on the Citroen win a car comp thread and locations to hunt on the chat thread? Are people just trying to mess with my head or what?????
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • renegadia
    renegadia Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Normally my bumps are for expired comps so you can disregard the thread if I'm the last poster ;)
    Golly, I've got the newt pregnant...

**Gulp**
  • bossladysal
    bossladysal Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've only just seen all of these comments and would like to apologise to everyone for posting the comp with the fur stole. I didn't read it properly in the first place when the email popped into my in-box and had I realised that it was real fur I would have deleted it.
    Very sorry for the offence x
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've only just seen all of these comments and would like to apologise to everyone for posting the comp with the fur stole. I didn't read it properly in the first place when the email popped into my in-box and had I realised that it was real fur I would have deleted it.
    Very sorry for the offence x

Please don't feel that you have anything to apologise for.

In my view the comp is perfectly valid.We all have views on issues eg meat eating.Will we ban comps for meat prizes next :D
  • Luckyone
    Luckyone Posts: 23,016 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ok then,

If it was classed as ok to bump a competition because some people on the forum do not like real fur products as prizes (I am not giving my opinion either way if I think it is right or wrong to have a real fur product as a prize because I don't think it's something that has relevance to this debate) then should we have warnings on the comp posts that are giving fishing rods as prizes as this could cause hard to fish?

Or should we have written on every chocolate Easter comp that the prize may contain nuts because I am allergic to nuts?

Every comp is posted, it is up to each person to enter it or not. If you did enter the comp & won it & you found out it was made of real fur & you don't want this then refuse the prize or send it back, un like them if entering on FF & un follow them if on twitter
    This Post Has Been Sponsored By
    Chocolate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family