Forum Home» Special Occasions & Other Celebrations

Real-life MMD: Hen do, or hen don't? - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Real-life MMD: Hen do, or hen don't?

93 replies 23.3K views
14567810»

Replies

• Teacher2Teacher2 Forumite
    546 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I think it is very cheeky of the bride's family even to have asked for an extra contribution. Nevertheless, you can take the moral high ground by being polite in return. Just say that.while you have budgeted and are happy to attend the celebration yourself, any extra is beyond your means.

Personally, I think the whole 'wedding industry' has got beyond a joke. The commercialized expectations of the 'special day' (often now a week!), fanned by those who stand to profit by it, are compromising the financial security of the happy couple before they even start life together. The wedding (which, after all, is only a show-off party) should be less important than the life-long relationship.

My view is that the couple should have a cheap and enjoyable day with their friends and relatives and put their capital towards a house deposit.
  • What a cheek.
    Different brides feel differently about their Mums coming - I know full well my Mum will not come on mine next year - her choice as she sees it very much for my friends - that's an individual's choice.
    But absolutely no way to covering someone else's costs. I have covered many a bride's costs without complaining but someone else? Hell to the no!
    :rotfl:
  • i can't even believe i am reading this. cheeky cow!