Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes: give up. For you are indeed out of time.

(And I know that the MSE article says that you can claim back to 2005, but your agility to initiate a legal claim falls away after six years, so that's the period of limitation observed by the airlines.)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any ideas what I should do next!!

If you did not commence court action in the UK within the 6 years there is nothing you can do.... unless you can find that the court system in France will allow you to raise a case after the 6 years - but you are unlikely to get a NWNF company so I would expect it to be an expensive (an probably futile) job
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    If you did not commence court action in the UK within the 6 years there is nothing you can do.... unless you can find that the court system in France will allow you to raise a case after the 6 years - but you are unlikely to get a NWNF company so I would expect it to be an expensive (an probably futile) job

I think the statute of limitation in France is now five years - so it is a dead duck for definite. If it weren't, the prospect of steering a claim through the French courts would still likely to be very difficult indeed (unless you could use the European Small Claims Procedure?).
  • timbers
    timbers Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    nu2forums wrote: »
    Thai claim that because their plane was damaged on the ground by an airport vehicle before take-off this was an extraordinary circumstance and are refusing to pay for 13 hour delay - is this legal?

See the posts above yours, I had the same issue with Thai. If it was July 2013, it was the same flight!
  • lpklpklpk
    Options
    Ill try and cut a very long story short, been having a letter / email battle with Emirates for over a year regarding a flight from UK to OZ. Entire flight (2 passengers) was booked as 1 journey with a change of planes in Dubai. Flight was late leaving UK so arrived at changeover point late but there was still time to make connection. For some reason (i suspect overselling) we were not allowed to make the connection with luggage transfer being stated as the reason and so we arrived very late into OZ as had to wait on the next flight.

I was sent an internal email intended for another Emirates employee in error (think the Muppet pressed reply to all) and it shows just how much Emirates don't care about customer complaints.

CAA have been involved for ages and despite advising Emirates they should be paying compensation Emirates are still refusing. CAA are now saying they can do no more as they can't make Emirates pay, seems a bit pointless in them existing really is they have no power.

Anyway all exact details can be provided to anyone that can help.

What do i do now ?????

Pleased help.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lpklpklpk wrote: »
    What do i do now ?????

Small claims court by yourself or use a no win no fee.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read the FAQ thread?
    Read the taking the airlines to court thread?
    Or take your case to a NWNF company
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • lpklpklpk
    lpklpklpk Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 16 July 2014 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Cheers for that.

Ok ill read the court thread, Any recommendations for a no win no fee company.
  • jair101
    Options
    The case looks pretty simple on the outside. Airline (Bulgaria Air) cancelled the flight 7 days before its scheduled time. The flight was planned from 7pm till 10 pm. Instead they offered a morning flight on the same day from 7am till 10am, with which I agreed.

Do I have a right to claim compensation in this case?

The airline says that compensation is owed only when there are delays and since the flight arrived earlier and I agreed to that, then the rules say they don't have to pay. The exact wording in the rules is that the airline does not have to pay compensation in case:

The airline notifies the passengers between one and two weeks prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
    • depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
    • arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled

I arrived no more then 4 hours late (12 hours earlier in fact), but I departed more then two hours earlier so it seems to me they have to pay.

Also, I think the airline logic is flawed, because I was still inconvenienced by the change, I had to skip some meetings, because I had to return earlier. Also, if I had agreed to fly on the next day, then they would have to pay me hotel, food AND compensation, but refuse to pay when I flew earlier?

Can some of the local experts help? Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback