Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have interpreted the regulation correctly. You are due compensation because they cancelled the flight less than 7 days and your reroute is considerably earlier.
    Write back seeking the comensation & quoting the regualtion exactly and also make it your NBA letter.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jair101
    Options
    Thanks, thats what I thought.
  • lpklpklpk
    Options
    Cheers for link
  • smitharajesh
    Options
    Hi, Many thanks for help in this matter. My flight was delayed last week. It was a Qatar Airways/BA connecting flight. Initial Qatar Airways flight from India (Kochi) was delayed due to late incoming flight. I do not know what was the reason for this delay.Therefore we missed our connecting Qatar Airways flight from Doha. We were given seat on the next flight to LHR. (left Doha at12.50 PM instead of 7.55am). Reached London at 17.55 instead of 13.15, a delay of 4 hours 40 minutes. Due to this we missed our connecting BA flight to Belfast City. Reached Belfast at 21.15 instead of 17.50, a delay of 3 hours 25 minutes.
    Am I eligible for compensation? if so do i complain to Qatar airways or BA?
    Many thanks
    Smitha
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no claim for EU compensation. The airline was a non-EU airline and the journey started outside the EU. There is no claim from BA as I assume their flight left on time but you failed to show up for it.
    You can see if your travel insurance will cover anything but many of them only kick in after a much longer delay
  • smitharajesh
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    There is no claim for EU compensation. The airline was a non-EU airline and the journey started outside the EU. There is no claim from BA as I assume their flight left on time but you failed to show up for it.
    You can see if your travel insurance will cover anything but many of them only kick in after a much longer delay

Thanks for reply. I thought in this situation Qatar airways is a EU airline as it landed in a EU airport(Heathrow). Could anyone tell me what a EU airline means.
  • Caz3121
    Options
    Thanks for reply. I thought in this situation Qatar airways is a EU airline as it landed in a EU airport(Heathrow). Could anyone tell me what a EU airline means.

An EU airline is an airline that is registered in the EU, Qatar is not.
    For non EU airlines, compensation only applies to the legs of the journey where the flight is departing from the EU (the fact that it is arriving in the EU does not make it qualify)
  • golfingmadman
    Options
    I recently was flying back to manchester from west Palm beach via Chicago. The flight to Chicago was operated by American airways and the connecting flight was with Finnair.The American airways flight developed a mechanical fault after we boarded and the flight had to be cancelled so we missed the Finnair flight back to manchester.We were put onto a later flight from Miami operated by American airways and taken back to manchester via Heathrow which arrived 7 hrs later than the scheduled Finnair flight can we claim compensation via the European ruling from Finnair ?
  • Caz3121
    Options
    I recently was flying back to manchester from west Palm beach via Chicago. The flight to Chicago was operated by American airways and the connecting flight was with Finnair.The American airways flight developed a mechanical fault after we boarded and the flight had to be cancelled so we missed the Finnair flight back to manchester.We were put onto a later flight from Miami operated by American airways and taken back to manchester via Heathrow which arrived 7 hrs later than the scheduled Finnair flight can we claim compensation via the European ruling from Finnair ?

AA cancelled their flight so are the airline at fault, As a non-EU airline on a flight commencing outside the EU, EU261 does not apply

Finnair have done nothing wrong so there is no claim against them. I assume that the flight you were booked on took off without you as you failed to turn up the airport to board to the flight (due to the AA cancellation)

You could see if your travel insurance covers anything but it will depend on the policy...eg some give £20 for 12 hour delay
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback