Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Sabahsgran
    Options
    I booked a return flight from Belfast UK to Miami via Newark airport with united airlines and everything was fine on the outward journey. However after we booked and paid for the flight the time of our return flight from Miami was changed so that we only had 1 hour connection time in Newark instead of 1hr 30 mins. I was assured this would be enough time to make our connection but when we were awaiting departure in Miami we were delayed almost 1 hr due to an electrical fault and we missed the connection in Newark to Belfast. United gave us no option other than waiting 24 hrs to fly to Belfast the next day. They gave us a hotel and meal voucher- 7 dollars for each of 3 meals which was no where near to paying what it cost us for meals. We also had to lose wages etc because the extra day meant we missed a day in work. I am confused regarding our right to any compensation under eu rules. Looking at the rules I am unsure if it applies to us because reading the legislation it appears if we were delayed on the outward flight leaving from an eu country we would meet rules to get 600 euros each in compensation. However because the return journey did not begin in a eu country but began in the USA are we then not entitled to compensation. United is not based in Europe but in USA
    Which also seems to be relevant. Can anyone advise me please. Thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sabahsgran wrote: »
    I booked a return flight from Belfast UK to Miami via Newark airport with united airlines and everything was fine on the outward journey. However after we booked and paid for the flight the time of our return flight from Miami was changed so that we only had 1 hour connection time in Newark instead of 1hr 30 mins. I was assured this would be enough time to make our connection but when we were awaiting departure in Miami we were delayed almost 1 hr due to an electrical fault and we missed the connection in Newark to Belfast. United gave us no option other than waiting 24 hrs to fly to Belfast the next day. They gave us a hotel and meal voucher- 7 dollars for each of 3 meals which was no where near to paying what it cost us for meals. We also had to lose wages etc because the extra day meant we missed a day in work. I am confused regarding our right to any compensation under eu rules. Looking at the rules I am unsure if it applies to us because reading the legislation it appears if we were delayed on the outward flight leaving from an eu country we would meet rules to get 600 euros each in compensation. However because the return journey did not begin in a eu country but began in the USA are we then not entitled to compensation. United is not based in Europe but in USA
    Which also seems to be relevant. Can anyone advise me please. Thank you

There is no EU compensation due for the reasons you list - non EU airline, flight commencinf outside EU
    You would have been entitled ro reimbursement of hotel/meals had they not been provided
    You can check your travel insurance policy to se e if it pays anything for delays

your post should have been on this thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4445417
  • SPMR
    SPMR Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I have only just come across the flight delay compensation page on MSE. I travelled to New York from Heathrow in January 2010. The outbound flight and inbound flight with Kuwait Airways was delayed by more than 3 hours. I know I can claim for the outbound flight, however, can someone confirm if I can claim for the inbound flight too?

I appreciate your help!

Sat.
  • Caz3121
    Options
    This is all covered in the FAQs. EU compensation does not apply for flights with non-EU carriers unless the affected flight was departing from the EU

Delay on flight departing LHR - claim...depending on reason for delay
    Delay of flight departing JFK - no claim
  • SPMR
    SPMR Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Caz. I was a little confused after reading the FAQS hence the reason for my post. Can you please provide an exact link to the section of the FAQS which applies to me?
  • rubbish_at_usernames
    Options
    Does anyone know anything about BA/Qantas codesharing flights?

We endured a 4 hour + delay at Bangkok waiting to board our homeward LHR flight. We paid BA for our tickets, and BA printed and provided our tickets.

The flight was actually operated by Qantas under their codesharing agreement. BA have said we're not eligible for any compensation because the flight wasn't operated by them. True, but we paid our money to them. Our contract was with them, surely? Any help with this would be great as I've not found any info about codesharing. TIA
  • Caz3121
    Options
    Does anyone know anything about BA/Qantas codesharing flights?

We endured a 4 hour + delay at Bangkok waiting to board our homeward LHR flight. We paid BA for our tickets, and BA printed and provided our tickets.

The flight was actually operated by Qantas under their codesharing agreement. BA have said we're not eligible for any compensation because the flight wasn't operated by them. True, but we paid our money to them. Our contract was with them, surely? Any help with this would be great as I've not found any info about codesharing. TIA

Operating airline is that one that matters. In this case any claim would be against Qantas and since the flight was not departing EU. EU261 does not apply
  • tljk
    tljk Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hey,

I have had a quick look but this is my first time using so sorry if I've got it wrong.

When travelling to Nashville, USA I have had to go on 2 separate flights as there are no direct flights. I booked these together. If the second flight (Toronto to Nashville) is delayed or cancelled, can I claim?

Many thanks.
  • leicsmarkyr
    leicsmarkyr Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    I had a flight from Birmingham to Kuwait with a connection in Dubai last year. We was about an hour late getting into Dubai meaning missed connection to Kuwait and was over 3+ hours late arriving into Kuwait in the end.

Put claim in with Emirates who say not covered as Dubai to Kuwait not covered under regulations. Put claim to CAA and they say it is their understanding am covered.

I put a claim in with MCOL and paid my £60 for it.

Got letter from Emirates legal team today saying they acknowledge the request but before further costs re incurred by Emirates they are writing to me to request that I discontinue the claim on the basis Emirates have successfully defended a number of similar claims and that 261/2004 does not apply in respect of the relevant missed connection which departed from Dubai.

They enclosed copies of cases of two people who they say is a similar case and was dismissed in court. James Thomson v Emirates and O'Reilly v Emirates was what referred to

What are people thought's here? Should I continue the claim in the hope I win? Do I have a good case to continue or could it be a matter I could have a good chance of losing and having to incur their costs?
  • bat2
    bat2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I was delayed for 24 hours with qatar airways - sent letter to quatar but was wondering if anyone has an address in this country since no reply after 6 months.Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback