Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LynneB, the United vouchers will only be accepted by United itself. They were under no obligation to offer you any compensation at all, could you find someone else who could use them?
  • blueraven
    blueraven Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help.

Hi
    I've read the guide, still am confused as to whether I can make a claim as our flight was cancelled when we were in transit, we left San Diego on a connecting flight through Toronto with air canada (and air canada rouge), who cancelled the flight with three hours to go, we had waited four hours in the airport by then...! :mad:
    Because we were in transit, they put us up in a hotel, but it was absolute chaos and we ended waiting another three hours until we got sorted out and got a shuttle to the airport... Are we able to claim compensation for the delay, they have said we can have a discount in our next flight with them (generous...???!)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2014 at 9:13AM
    Options
    blueraven wrote: »
    Hi
    I've read the guide, still am confused as to whether I can make a claim as our flight was cancelled when we were in transit, we left San Diego on a connecting flight through Toronto with air canada (and air canada rouge), who cancelled the flight with three hours to go, we had waited four hours in the airport by then...! :mad:
    Because we were in transit, they put us up in a hotel, but it was absolute chaos and we ended waiting another three hours until we got sorted out and got a shuttle to the airport... Are we able to claim compensation for the delay, they have said we can have a discount in our next flight with them (generous...???!)

Air Canada are not an EU airline so EU compensation would only apply to their operated flights that are delayed or cancelled departing from the EU
    No EU compensation although you can check if your travel insurance will pay you anything (although may be minimal eg £20 for each 12 hour delay)
    The airline do not have to pay you compensation, give you vouchers or discounts off the next flight

Always worth considering EU airlines for protection if you have a choice of carriers on a route

Point #1 in your link is the one that clarifies
    It's only for EU regulated flights

An EU flight is where the flight departed from an EU airport, regardless of the airline, OR where an EU airline landed at an EU airport. Under this law, EU airports also include those in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

So a delayed Manchester to Miami flight qualifies, regardless of the airline. Yet for Miami to Manchester, you are entitled to compensation flying Virgin or KLM, but not on Air India.
  • nickbeee
    nickbeee Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    LynneB, the United vouchers will only be accepted by United itself. They were under no obligation to offer you any compensation at all, could you find someone else who could use them?

IMO the best way to use them would be to find United code-share flights, that would be with Star Alliance airlines such as Lufthansa, then book with United under their code.

HTH,
    Just broke, even.
  • mr_noy_noyed
    Options
    Can anyone help clarify our position please?

We bought our return tickets from United Airlines to fly from Heathrow to New York. But, were delayed by 10 hours on the return flight home because after the plane was airborne for an hour, it could not rectify a fault with the flaps that it had already developed before take-off! and had to turn back. the flight was then subsequently cancelled. United did find an alternative flight 10 hours later, but we had to wait a further 3 hours for our luggage to turn up on a later flight.

My question is..Are we covered by EU compensation rules if the carrier was American and the return flight started in New York but landed in London?

If not, is there any other form of compensation?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Options

My question is..Are we covered by EU compensation rules if the carrier was American and the return flight started in New York but landed in London?

If not, is there any other form of compensation?

EU261/2004 will not apply as the flight departed outside EU (on non-EU airline)
    You can try your travel insurance
  • mr_noy_noyed
    Options
    Thanks Caz. That so leaves me feeling anoy noyed!!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Caz. That so leaves me feeling anoy noyed!!

Yet another reason not to use US-based airlines.
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Back in 2011 I paid for myself, then husband and five children to fly from gatwick to Winnipeg, Canada. The flights were with Iceland express and involved a change of plane in Iceland.
    On the way back we were told our Canada to Iceland flight was delayed by 11 hours as the crew had gone over their hours.
    Hotels were arranged but due to two of the kids being disabled we chose to go and stay with family and finally got on the flight 11 plus late, it was still the same flight.

When we got to Iceland, it was horrible and very confusing, we had to get new boarding passes, very unorganised and confusing. As we had missed our connecting flight we were put on another flight with a different carrier but all arranged by Iceland express. Because of the new flight our pre booked seats were invalid which caused a lit if stress as we were the last people on the plane.

I'm just giving all the back ground as I'm not quite sure how to claim etc. will the two flights be seen as one or two? So because of a 11 hour delay to Iceland we then missed out booked flight from Iceland etc.. Slightly confused and all help appreciated :-)
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Non EU Airline from non EU country so 261/2004 does not apply.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback