Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• SRT
    SRT Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    The T&C dont seem to include anything explicit to my grant though.

"If going NWNF though you may as well hand over now - assuming they will accept"
    I did a check on the one linked to mse (flight delayed.) and it said I am entitled to £960.00
    So that seems reasonable but deduct £20.50 for premium accnt.
    If thats correct then I will give it a go if I dont anywhere with United.
    Thanks for the pointers. :)
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After going backwards and forwards with Delta and not getting anywhere I've decided to go to a no win no fee company.
  • doirecormac
    Options
    Hi hope someone can advise. In june 2013 we flew with United from Belfast to Newark to Orlando (booked as one through ticket). The flight from Belfast to Newark left and arrived on time but the connecting flight from Newark to Orlando (MCO) was delayed by about 5 hours. Our flight was delayed as our plane was late coming in from another airport (possibly bad weather at that airport). Regardless it was our flight that did not leave on time. Does this fall within the remit of the EU compensation? thanks in advance and apologies if I have not posted in the correct place/thread - newbie!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will get mixed opinions on this one as the delay was fully outside the EU on a non-EU airline. It has been debated many times over within some threads. Some will say EU compensation does not apply because of this and others will say it does as your first flight departed from the EU
    I have not seen anyone being successful in compensation and don't believe that the NWNF companies will take this one
    You can try one of the sites like EU claim which allows you to enter your flight details and it will give a response on whether they believe you have a claim or not

correct thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4445417
  • chadders1966
    chadders1966 Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm reposting my question below to see if anyone more knowledgable than me has a view on whether or not I have the basis a claim. Thanks

Hi,
    I was on a United flight from Manchester to Newark when it was announced that the pilot had been taken ill. We all trooped of the plane, waited for a couple of hours, and were then told the flight was cancelled. I was re-routed through London and landed about 9 hours late.
    I have been reading the guides provided, which took me to the linked EC Draft of extraordinary circumstances which does mention about a crew member becoming seriously ill on board or during the flight. Bearing in mind that the pilot wasn't seriously ill (he had a dodgy stomach, and walked off the plane) do you think it is worth me claiming? I realise that even if I did I would be likely to run into difficulties, but I don't want to put in an a claim if I'm not entitled to. Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chadders the EU list (guide/draft whatever it is called this week!) is basically dead now as Judges are not listening to cases due to Huzar and by the time they do the result of this complaint to the Ombudsman >
    http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/en/cases/caseopened.faces/en/51767/html.bookmark should be resolved.
    I definitely think it worth claiming as this costs nothing and I believe you have a good case. You may well get a refusal to pay but at least you will (hopefully) receive an explanation and you can then decide whether to pursue further.
  • chadders1966
    chadders1966 Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the response,
    111KAB wrote: »
    Chadders the EU list (guide/draft whatever it is called this week!) is basically dead now as Judges are not listening to cases due to Huzar and by the time they do the result of this complaint to the Ombudsman >
    http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/en/cases/caseopened.faces/en/51767/html.bookmark should be resolved.
    I definitely think it worth claiming as this costs nothing and I believe you have a good case. You may well get a refusal to pay but at least you will (hopefully) receive an explanation and you can then decide whether to pursue further.
  • doirecormac
    Options
    Caz, many thanks for the swift and helpful reply. I'll try that...
  • Lynneb
    Options
    Hi my return United Chicago to Edinburgh flight was cancelled, due to mechanical error. Eventually rebooked via Newark 24 hours later. I was given overnight hotel accom plus 3x$7 meal vouchers . On return home, we were given $200 per person flight vouchers. This may seem reasonable, however, a days work was missed as well as sessions at prebooked Commonwealth Games event. I have been told by United that there is no cash alternative. My main issue is the vouchers are worthless, as I can not afford to visit the USA every year (last visit was 6 years ago) and the vouchers are only valid for 12 months. Has anyone used them with United's European partner airlines?
  • shell69_2
    shell69_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Just completed my forms to start court proceedings against United following a 7.5 hour delay in April. Desperately hoping they will settle before going to court - maybe looking for some advice if not!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback