Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• GadgetsDS
    GadgetsDS Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    yes u can still claim up to 6 years back weather the account it closed or not
  • Pixiegirl_2
    Options
    how do i find out what i've paid? do i need old statements? must have them in the loft i guess!
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to send off for the statements. Read Martin's article on details.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • GadgetsDS
    GadgetsDS Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Pixiegirl wrote: »
    how do i find out what i've paid? do i need old statements? must have them in the loft i guess!

Read this and download the templates

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    I did the same with Braclays, and got my statements.

Did you include the branch?

I would phone the FOS, and information commissioner, and get advice from them.

Did you have any direct debits set up? Maybe the company you were paying could help. Or any money going into your account. They may still have your old account on record.
  • karyn_p
    karyn_p Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    yep, gave them the branch at which it was opened

phoned them this morning and they were the ones who told me bout them having to keep info for 6years. i think its just very coincidental that they're stringing me along at the same time that this new court case is waiting to be heard and at the same time, where the 6year statement starts is gettin further along the year so i'm missing loads of charges.

i think i may need to file an official complaint
    Served Court Notice with Abbey :confused:
    Barclaycard have paid up :T
    Capital One have paid up :T

Written a letter of complaint to Barclays, as apparantly they can't find my Account details :mad:
  • SarahLiz1981
    Options
    Hello,
    During a niave & stupid phase a couple of years ago i didnt pay two credit cards & a bank account and subsequently had them both closed by the associated parties who then passed the debt to a recovery agency. I have now paid all debts off in full but wondered if (Providing things go our way MSE's in court!!!!!!) i could still claim back charges? If so, how do i go about gaining mu account details as i have no idea what they were? Can i just contact the companies involved (Barclays bank, Bacrclaycard & Halifax credit card? and ask them to send me six year statemens? I am currently waiting to hear from Barclays but they have written to me instructing that they will wait till a desicion has been made by the FSA (or who ever it is).
    Thank you for any help anyone can provide & thanks for all the help and advise on this fantastic website. Its been a constant help and source of encouragment when i thought i was all on my own with no money & loads of debt!!!
  • baron777red
    Options
    I had a halifax account that i closed 2 years ago, but when i got m elast 6 years statements, i had over £600 of charges, can i still claim these even if the account is now closed?

it might be worth mentioning that i have already successfully claimied for £210 from another live halifax account i have.

thanks

colin
    its only a bargain, if you need it or will use it.

:beer:
  • kerhlkk
    kerhlkk Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you have all the account details i.e. account number and list of charges then you can claim back charges upto 6years ago from any bank account, doesnt matter if the account is now closed or not they are still unlawfull charges get them back its your money !

so far a "goodwill gesture" from abbey but told them thanks for part payment will still want the rest, and still putting charges on now even though i think that if they dont have to deal with complaints then customes shouldnt incur charges until the test case is dealt with !:mad:
  • lissa1511
    Options
    Hi, I too closed my HSBC account about 3 years ago, whilst I probably have the old bank details, I certainly do not have the list of charges. Do they still have to supply me with them if I request them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure