Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• IZZY01
    IZZY01 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    SJTOWNLEY wrote: »
    Is it possible to try and reclaim Bank Charges when the account was passed to a Debt Management company,but was paid off in full before they took legal action.
    The reason I got in Debt in the first place was due to Bank Charges on my overdraft which I couldn.t afford to pay.

Regards
    Sean
    Simple answer --YES I was in exactly the same position. My claim is now with the Ombudsman
  • JanNyk
    Options
    :confused: My niece closed her account with Nat West 4.5 years ago.She has no record of her old account number. NatWest have told her they can't trace her account without the number. She was charged quite a large amount, some charges were caused by charges taking her overdrawn. I presume they have to keep records under the Data Protection Act, surely there must be a way to find her account?
  • skeggygal85
    Options
    They have to keep all records of accouints and paper work for a period of 5yrs. They should be able to find ur records through an address and the usual security checks .eg. B.O.B etc.
    Good Luck as im trying to sort out my charges with them aswell xxx
  • JanNyk
    JanNyk Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I phoned NatWest about closed accounts but they told me that they can't do anything without the account number. Does anyone know if this is correct
  • JanNyk
    JanNyk Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I said this to them but they still say can't find without account number.I would have thought that her profile would be on a computer file somewhere! my niece has been into her NatWest branch with all her details & ID but they say the same thing . Good Luck with getting your charges back.
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they say they cannot find you I would involve the FO. That should concentrate their minds. They are obliged to keep records for 6 years, and your name, address and DOB should do the trick.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Kmfry
    Kmfry Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I was wondering if I can claim for unfair charges on credit cards whihc have been canceled in the past, also how do i go about getting the account number? Do i just ring customer services and go through security questions and request my account number
    Pay Off 20K by 12/08 - Total so Far £500 / £19,500 left to go
    Sealed Pot - Opening pot on 01/12- # 117 - Target £300
    Lunch Log 08 - Started 07/01/08 - Spent £0 as of 02/02/08
    £10 a Day Feb - # 14 £261 /£290
  • glenbuck
    Options
    i have recieved an offer from nat west for my charges,they closed the account because i owed them money,which is now being repaid to them via a 3rd party,can they insist on having the money they are going to pay me,paid off the debt i have with them,even though i do not have a bank account with them,or am i entitled to recieve payment by cheque?
  • Frankandann
    Frankandann Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I have little doubt this has been mentioned before but I can't find it so apologies. I had several credit/store cards which I paid off in full a couple of years ago though I know charges were incurred previously. Simple question. When claiming does the six year period date back from today or from the date the account was paid off and closed?
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Date would be from now... not when the cards where closed I'm afraid :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport