Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes, They generally pay back into acct being claimed from, but if its closed you should get a cheque.
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • ow85
    Options
    I am getting fed up with my bank and I am thinking of switching to a different bank. If I close my account with my current bank can i still reclaim bank charges if the banks loose the test case when it finishes.
  • debs81
    debs81 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    yes you can. you can claim off any account you've had in the past 6 years open or closed. all my four claims are for closed bank accounts or paid credit cards.
  • Tragent
    Options
    Does anybody know if it is possible to reclaim charges from bank accounts which have been closed or can this only be done with active accounts?
    Thanks.
  • hughie278
    hughie278 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, you can claim from all closed bank/credit card accounts. Dated back 6 years max though.
  • Tragent
    Options
    Thanks Hughie - appreciate your help.
  • claireyb_3
    Options
    morning all!

i have had several different credit cards over the past five years but now dont have any account numbers for them as they are all long since closed. is there anyway to get hold of my old account numbers so that i could claim back the old charges?
    should i write to the companys with name and address? would that be enough?

please help?!?!?!
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Name, address and date of birth should be enough for them to find your records.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • karyn_p
    karyn_p Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I used to have a bank account with Barclays but I don't have the account number anymore. I wrote to them with all my details, full name, addresses, dob, etc. But they have come back after a long period of time to say they cannot find my details :( they have said they have searched 2 systems but to no avail. I explained to them that by law they have to keep records on file for at least 6 years and that although i know they are not related- Barclaycard didn't seem to have a problem finding my old account details. But they said, without my Account number, there isn't much they can do.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone can suggest anything else I can try to find this out???? (When I closed the account, I shreaded all my old bank statements etc)
    Served Court Notice with Abbey :confused:
    Barclaycard have paid up :T
    Capital One have paid up :T

Written a letter of complaint to Barclays, as apparantly they can't find my Account details :mad:
  • Pixiegirl_2
    Options
    my old bank account had lots of charges on it but i closed it a couple of years ago.

can i still claim this money back?

i still bank with them (hsbc) with a joint account now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family