We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eh?

Options

Comments

• totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The little Internet friend just gets better and better doesn't she. Not only does she not want her kids and has a drug dealing mother but now we find out she can't even pay her own rent and buy her own food, has a child with what is probably an illegal immigrant from Mexico and another with god knows who. Spends hers days playing on the Internet as she's unable to work and drive and then feels she this life of her doing nothing is too hard to cope with. The alarm bells shouldn't just be ringing, they should have rang so much that they've broke.
  • Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2013 at 5:27PM
    Options
    jaqui59 wrote: »

This bit of information I only learnt this morning .... Apparently the girls ex and father to one of the children is in Mexico, and has been trying to get a Visa to enter the States for the last 2 years so that he can start proceedings to take both the children back there. Apparently he comes from a very large family, and he has told her that everyone will welcome the two youngsters with open arms ... Im not sure whether to believe this, but wouldn't it be a wonderful outcome if it were true!

Obviously we dont know the whole story , whats gone on, how day to day life is etc....but the thought of two children being removed to another country from a country they know away from the Mother and family they love and schools they attend ,tears me up.

They may well have a better life , may even want to go but...
    Is it only me , this doesnt sit right with?
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

They both play the same PC game, and my son approached her, and he was also the one who suggest they meet. This can be her manipulating him into moving first. It's always better to make someone think it's their idea.

From what he has said, it sounds as though she lives in a very quiet area where there is nothing to do, and she views her computer as her entertainment. She doesn't drive and obviously has to be around Monday to Fridays to take her children to school and pick them up. Sorry, this simply doesn't ring true at all. Damned nearly everyone in the US drives. If she lives in a rural area, she would have been taking lessons at 16, and on the road shortly after. No one in the sticks over there doesn't drive. Food stores can be 10 miles apart. If she isn't in a quiet area, or has public transport, she would be more likely to have a job and still have access to a vehicle.

It now transpires, that even though her mother sounds far from desirable, it does seem that she has her daughter's interests at heart and her grandchildrens', and pays her daughters rent (yes she doesnt live in the family home) and buys her food ... That sounds like a pretty decent woman. She has gone from driving to the airport, to a drug addict, to a supportive person who foots most of the bills, considering the daughter is 27 years old and old enough to fend for herself.

The rest of the girls money comes from benefits. I seriously doubt this. Look up the US welfare system. It is incredibly hard to access and they are time limited in most states.

The mother also looks after the children when her daughter is feeling she cant cope. Damn that drug addict, being all nice again.

Apparently the girls ex and father to one of the children is in Mexico, and has been trying to get a Visa to enter the States for the last 2 years so that he can start proceedings to take both the children back there. Visitors visas do NOT take 2 years to obtain. He could start the proceedings with a US based attorney and travel on tourist access visas. Plus, he would need to legally adopt the child that isn't his before that, and he would not be allowed to do it if he didn't have some measure of custody. This is just cobblers.
    Apparently he comes from a very large family, and he has told her that everyone will welcome the two youngsters with open arms ... Im not sure whether to believe this, but wouldn't it be a wonderful outcome if it were true! I'm not sure how this is wonderful. A child would know his biological mother gave him to a stranger rather than raise him herself.

I'm sorry, I have a friend who met someone on World of Warcraft online, went to North America to meet him and he is now married to her and living in London. However, it took two years and a lot of webcams before they phoned/flew/met. I'm not saying it won't happen, but so much of what he is being told sounds like utter bilgewater it is getting scary.

See what happens with the webcam. If there is even the slightest hint of it 'not working' or 'broken when I took it out of the box' or 'not compatible software etc' tell the lad to run a country mile.

I truly wish him, and you, all the luck in the world. I'm just a cynic.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options
    None of it sits right Rebecca. It's bloody laughable.

If everything the OP has stated about this 'woman' is true - WHY ON EARTH would she want her son ANYWHERE NEAR HIM.

This is absolutely ridiculous. The OP needs to think long and hard about whether she wants her son caught up in this womans life before she continues to cheer her son on in 'taking precautions and buying a webcam'.

Because the best case scenario here, if we are all to stop being cynical for a moment, is that this woman IS the real deal and therefore everything the OP has said about her is true. If that was the case and I had a son, or indeed anyone I was close to and cared about, who was about to embark upon a relationship with this person....I would be doing my nut!!!!!!

It's got to be made up. It's just got to be. I am waiting for the punchline. If it's not made up on the OP's part, then it most certainly is made up by this 'woman from Wisconsin' - i.e. create a sob story to get a nice little holiday abroad all-expenses-paid. She might even have several guys on the go and has had several holidays over the last year using the same sob story.

Trying to make some sort of sense of this whole thread is giving me a headache so I am going to go lie down in a darkened room now and make myself a mental note, if/when I have children, to never ever let them near the internet.....lol
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options
    I'm sorry, I have a friend who met someone on World of Warcraft online, went to North America to meet him and he is now married to her and living in London. However, it took two years and a lot of webcams before they phoned/flew/met. I'm not saying it won't happen, but so much of what he is being told sounds like utter bilgewater it is getting scary.

See what happens with the webcam. If there is even the slightest hint of it 'not working' or 'broken when I took it out of the box' or 'not compatible software etc' tell the lad to run a country mile.

I truly wish him, and you, all the luck in the world. I'm just a cynic.

Bargain Betty....I completely 100% echo everything you have said in your comments.
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Seems to me that the OP's relationship with her Son isn't entirely all She thought it was.

Also the responses being given by her Son are getting more and more far fetched.
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options

This bit of information I only learnt this morning .... Apparently the girls ex and father to one of the children is in Mexico, and has been trying to get a Visa to enter the States for the last 2 years so that he can start proceedings to take both the children back there. Apparently he comes from a very large family, and he has told her that everyone will welcome the two youngsters with open arms ... Im not sure whether to believe this, but wouldn't it be a wonderful outcome if it were true!

Really? You think it would be 'wonderful' for 2 kids to be taken to another country by a man they haven't seen for 2 years, one of whom isn't even related to them so live with an extended family whom they do not know??? From this alone I would say your judgement is fairly skewed!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    Really? You think it would be 'wonderful' for 2 kids to be taken to another country by a man they haven't seen for 2 years, one of whom isn't even related to them so live with an extended family whom they do not know??? From this alone I would say your judgement is fairly skewed!

I can't imagine he would get permission to take an unrelated child from the USA to Mexico without going through the legal adoption channels!

When the story keeps changing and growing in complexity, it's usually made up.
  • londonlydia
    Options
    I had a friend who met a girl online from the US playing a game, no webcam, at 20 too. Almost the same scenario, except they took it one step further and got engaged before meeting!

When they finally did meet, the girl was as described bit was totally full on. The parents were desperate to marry her off so was shoving money to get married asap. Anyway, he changed his mind as she wa stoo overbearing, and 3 days later he broke it off. Anyway, at this point she annouced that she a string of men set up like him, and she planned to move along the chain of them whilst in the UK till she found one willing to marry her. (She had already tried in the US.)
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    I had a friend who met a girl online from the US playing a game, no webcam, at 20 too. Almost the same scenario, except they took it one step further and got engaged before meeting!

When they finally did meet, the girl was as described bit was totally full on. The parents were desperate to marry her off so was shoving money to get married asap. Anyway, he changed his mind as she wa stoo overbearing, and 3 days later he broke it off. Anyway, at this point she annouced that she a string of men set up like him, and she planned to move along the chain of them whilst in the UK till she found one willing to marry her. (She had already tried in the US.)

Presumably both agreed to get engaged so I think that'd be full on from both parties imo...and mental of course! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport