We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eh?

Options
My 20 year old son very much surprised me this morning by telling me he is going to America for a week this month to meet a girl he has been chatting to on the internet for a year, and im saying to myself "good for him"

I sent a text to my partner telling him, and he replied "does he have that £60 he owes me" ..... Eh???

OH knows it will be quite a big deal for me, as DS has been a stay at home lad for years, quite happy to go to work and spend the rest of the day PC gaming, so he is very naive about travel, and admits he is a little nervous about the adventure that lies ahead.

OH has made me feel cross with his reply, as I was feeling a little emotional anyway, and he has made it a lot worse :mad:

Spose in a way, this has been a bit of rant ... Its good to have a rant!!
Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.

Comments

• The_Hurricane
    Options
    It's a humourous response in a way, I wouldn't read much else into it.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Has he spoke to the girl on the phone and everything?

It reminds me of the T'eo story in the American press these last few weeks. Conducting a relationship with a girl who never existed!

I hope it all goes well for him, just make sure he stays safe and has his mobile set up for roaming and calls home. In theory he could be meeting anyone!
  • jaqui59
    jaqui59 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    From the brief chat we both had this morning whilst I was taking him to work, I did get the impression it was all genuine, but I will encourage him to talk more about it when he comes home from work today ... I might even ask to speak on the phone to this girl's mother who will be picking DS up from the Airport, but I don't want to seem too overbearing, but I guess in this situation things are a little different.

Im going to be feeling really anxious until he calls me to say he has arrived safely, and that the girl does indeed exist .. Its gonna be a long day for me.

Thankyou for the information about the T'eo story, I will read up on it.
    Some days I wake up Grumpy ... Other days I let him lie in.
  • pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He's twenty! I think asking to speak to the mother is a bit much, I would have been mortified if you had done that to me! I was living away from home at twenty, my mum had no idea where I was or what I was doing, as regards your OH's text I think it was probably a joke.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who is paying for the tcket?

And does your son have the £60 he owes? He should pay that back before he uses money to swan off the to States to meet a girl.

Your OH has a point.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe your OH was miffed that he could afford to go to America when he still owed him money.
  • Lozzy88
    Lozzy88 Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope they have skyped so he knows she is real, amd it won't be'a wasted journey, don't ring the lasses mother tho its for younger kids IMO
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    pukkamum wrote: »
    He's twenty! I think asking to speak to the mother is a bit much, I would have been mortified if you had done that to me! I was living away from home at twenty, my mum had no idea where I was or what I was doing, as regards your OH's text I think it was probably a joke.

I agree, I'd be mortified as well :o
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming it's genuine and she's a girl and not a 40 year old gamer bloke.

If he's naive about travel then this is probably the safest way for him to be introduced to it. Being picked up at the airport by her mum takes away the hardest/riskiest/most vulnerable to being ripped of aspect, and the girl will know the area so he wont get lost when he's out and about sightseeing.

The only word of caution I have is to look up the rules for the state he's going to. He's not old enough to drink in the US so he needs to know not to do that, and some states she might be too young for sex, depending on her age obviously.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Does the show "Catfish" spring to anyone elses mind?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport