We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eh?

Options

Comments

• make_me_wise
    make_me_wise Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 8:07PM
    Options
    I reckon your son is about to get a massive wake up call. This woman he has been in contact with, is most likely the drug addict mother with a violent husband and two kids she doesn't want, looking for a mug to pay for her to get to the UK. I dont think a 27 year old exists. Anyone can send still images of a pretty young girl and alter their voice so as to sound younger than they are.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Is there really no prospect of your son getting involved with a girl a little closer to home? It's all very well being in contact with someone abroad that hasn't seen him; but come on, if he can't read the warning signs now - he needs to get out there and learn some life skills.

Druggie mother, 2 kids to different fathers, no money, on the social, Mexican ex-boyfriend wanting to take the kids. You couldn't make it up...or could you?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rebecca01 wrote: »
    jaqui59 wrote: »

This bit of information I only learnt this morning .... Apparently the girls ex and father to one of the children is in Mexico, and has been trying to get a Visa to enter the States for the last 2 years so that he can start proceedings to take both the children back there. Apparently he comes from a very large family, and he has told her that everyone will welcome the two youngsters with open arms ... Im not sure whether to believe this, but wouldn't it be a wonderful outcome if it were true!

Obviously we dont know the whole story , whats gone on, how day to day life is etc....but the thought of two children being removed to another country from a country they know away from the Mother and family they love and schools they attend ,tears me up.

They may well have a better life , may even want to go but...
    Is it only me , this doesnt sit right with?

Not to mention that IF this is true, its likely he comes from a complete dump in Mexico, he's hardly going to be living it up in Cancun in a 5 star hotel. Why on earth anyone would send their kids there I do not know! Let alone if they are the MOTHER.

This just gets more and more ridiculous.

Just like that 'model' on catfish, who lied about having 5 sisters who all died in a dramatic car crash. There's always some kind of sob story.

The OPs son could talk to any girl in the UK, yet he's choosing to spend £500 on someone who would do that to their kids?

And Im sorry I just dont believe she cant drive.
  • ruby-roo_2
    Options
    You couldn't make it up...or could you?

Precisely. I dont believe a word of this thread. There are so many things that dont add up. If a woman like the one described were coming over to meet my son, the last thing I would be pondering and worrying over on a public forum is the future of two kids I dont know. My focus would be on talking some sense into my own son. No matter if he was 20.

It has however been slightly more believable than the current storyline in Eastenders and not quite so gloomy ;)
    If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants ~ Isaac Newton
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    ruby-roo wrote: »
    It has however been slightly more believable than the current storyline in Eastenders and not quite so gloomy ;)

I don't watch TV - is Eastenders still going on?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    they have not had sight of each other in a year? what about facebook?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• glitter03
    glitter03 Posts: 871 Forumite
    Options
    they have not had sight of each other in a year? what about facebook?

Exactly. One of the first things many people do these days after striking up a friendship is add each other on facebook.

I am thoroughly enthralled by this thread tho.
    :coffee:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, I have to say but I think you're completely mad and haven't taken anything anyone has said on board. You seem to be !!!!!footing around your son, feeling bad about trying to get information from him and sticking your head in the sand 'hoping the meeting goes well'. By your own admission your son is naive, he still lives at home and is only barely past being a teenager. I think you need to 'man up' about this and stop him from spending any money on this woman. He may be 20 but he lives in your house and you're the most influential person in his life. By all means encourage her to visit if she pays for her own tickets. We might all be surprised if she does but I somehow doubt she will.

You're bring a bit harsh on the Op there, her Son isn't planning on spending the earth on this woman it's only £500 and he has 'known' her for over a year.
    During that year how many of her Sons mates have been going out into town of a Saturday night and buying drinks; meals, and taxis home for women they've only just met in a club. Add that up over a year i'll bet his mates have spent a lot more than £500. And that's just accepted as normal growing up.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    You're bring a bit harsh on the Op there, her Son isn't planning on spending the earth on this woman it's only £500 and he has 'known' her for over a year.
    During that year how many of her Sons mates have been going out into town of a Saturday night and buying drinks; meals, and taxis home for women they've only just met in a club. Add that up over a year i'll bet his mates have spent a lot more than £500. And that's just accepted as normal growing up.

It's not just £500 though is it. It's the flight (which may well cost more than £500), a week in a hotel in London, days out in London, eating out. London isn't cheap! And this is assuming she turns out not to be a con artist. If the OP has been told the truth the woman is a professional sponger, how much will she milk him for??

There is more than the money to think about too. What about the emotional cost to him if this all turns into a scam / goes wrong / she turns out to be a 30 stone man called Bob? He's a kid who lives with his mum and plays on his computer, how long would it take for him to build up his confidence again?

There is a difference between being an overprotective parent and one who knows when the time is right to step in to prevent a big mistake. This Internet woman is dodgy as hell and being scammed online isn't just something you need to experience as part of growing up.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I feel the same, not seen each other in a year???? skype/facebook/email pics......nope it's all scary, that's what it is, don't let this young inexperienced kid go on this trip, anything could happen to him, it's worrying
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family