We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eh?

Options

Comments

• Watto30
    Watto30 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    This reminded me of a similar situation that happened to a guy I knew around 10 years ago and he was at the time the same age as the OP's son, met a woman online from the US, communicated for months and fell in love etc eventually he saved up enough cash to go over and visit and it didnt work out well, she was shall we say a hell of a lot different to the photos she had sent, about 15 years older, 20 stone heavier and was a different colour, to say he was pretty devasted would be an understatement and when he got back he pretty much locked himself away in his room for months in a deep depression. The poor guy had built up this wonderful new life in his head but the reality was so very different.

It just rings massive alarm bells that this girl will not use a webcam, as others have said they are really cheap and if she was a genuine person looking for a relationship then surely she would want to see the OP's son and speak face to face on webcam.

I think you need to speak to your son and prepare him for the fact that things may not turn out the way he is hoping they will, if she is genuine and does manage to make it to the UK and they meet and get on then good luck to them but to me this has scam written all over it, is she expecting your son to pay for the hotel and everything else if she gets here?
  • oxfordrocks
    Options
    Jackanory.

:cheesy:

The best thing you can do at work is join a Trade Union.
    :grouphug: STRONGER TOGETHER
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to start watching Catfish...and oh god, I feel so lucky everyone I met has been who they say they are (there's only about three!)
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This story sound like a complete mess.

First thing i thought of when i read the OP's post is "catfish," which i've just finished watching now.

I'm a couple of years older than your son and i just cannot imagine spending my hard earned money purchasing a plane ticket for someone else to come and visit me without even skyping them first.

I wish your son the best, but please tell him to save his money and that if she really wants to see him then she should pay her own way.

I cannot believe he is thinking about meeting her without skyping first. There's cameras on most laptops, tablets, mobile phones e.t.c, so what's the real reason as to why she hasn't been on webcam with him?

Are you aware of her full name? Maybe you can google her name? I'd also advise to google search the image you have of her (just to be on the safe side.) Who will be looking after her children while she is away? Does she have enough money to spend whilst she's out here?

So many questions...
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm only half way through the episode but guess what - the person in this episide never uses a webcam..

Another weird thing - why was this 27 year old's mother going to pick your son up from the airport ? Why wasn't she?
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options
    claire16c wrote: »
    Another weird thing - why was this 27 year old's mother going to pick your son up from the airport ? Why wasn't she?

This screams of the fact that the 27 year old may not actually exist.... but is actually 'the mother' and will end up being at least 20 years older....

...she can hardly use the excuse of not being able to drive, especially in the USA where everyone drives - they teach you in school for crying out loud.

Nethertheless I still think him going out there to see her (with the back up of having booked a hotel for himself provisionally for the first night near the airport, and suggesting they meet in the airport for lunch first to get to know each other a little in person before going anywhere in case things go sour) is a better option than him paying ridiculous amounts of money to have a free all expenses paid holiday to the UK.
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options

i wish your son the best, but please tell him to save his money and that if she really wants to see him then she should pay her own way.

exactly........

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my God I'm cringing watching Catfish! A girl pretending to be a guy and a girl goes to meet 'him'

OP...American's are crazy! Don't let your son go!
  • unoriginal_uk
    Options
    What channel are you watching that on? So need to catch this show now....I have never seen it before!

• unoriginal_uk
    Options
    lufcgirl wrote: »

OP...American's are crazy! Don't let your son go!

That's probably a bit too sweeping a generalisation. You get crazy people wherever you go.....:rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport