Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Options

Comments

• walkerluce
    walkerluce Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a terrible time with Scottish Power. Within a month of me switching they doubled my DD amount so, hey presto, I started to accumulate a large credit balance.

So many times I asked for it back and every time I was asked for up to date meter readings (which I sent), and then nothing happened. At its peak my credit was c. £1,300 but it's now £900.

I took may case to the ombudsman, Scottish Power then agreed to give me a refund and an account review. Now they've told me they can't do that because of technical difficulties.

I'm switching now, before the end of my fixed rate period, just to be free of this grief.
  • POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    walkerluce wrote: »
    I've had a terrible time with Scottish Power. Within a month of me switching they doubled my DD amount so, hey presto, I started to accumulate a large credit balance.

So many times I asked for it back and every time I was asked for up to date meter readings (which I sent), and then nothing happened. At its peak my credit was c. £1,300 but it's now £900.

I took may case to the ombudsman, Scottish Power then agreed to give me a refund and an account review. Now they've told me they can't do that because of technical difficulties.

I'm switching now, before the end of my fixed rate period, just to be free of this grief.

Have you tried changing your direct debit? I was in credit and logged into my account and it showed What I could change it to. You have to make a payment (minimum £5) which is credited to your account. I reduced my payment by £29 per month.
  • AliBee16
    AliBee16 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. Waiting 50 mins only to be put back on hold because they put me through to the wrong dept. Also no reply from twitter. I'm £400 in credit coming into the warmest time of the year, but reading these posts may be waiting a while for credit
  • POLAR_BILL
    Options
    AliBee16 wrote: »
    Wow. Waiting 50 mins only to be put back on hold because they put me through to the wrong dept. Also no reply from twitter. I'm £400 in credit coming into the warmest time of the year, but reading these posts may be waiting a while for credit

See my comment on the previous post. It is worth logging into your account and seeing what you could reduce it to. It worked for me.
  • AliBee16
    Options
    Thanks Polar Bill, I never did get through.
    I would like the direct debit to be reduced to about £120 which would even it out through the year, but that would mean paying a large one-off payment. And I'm not going to give these charlatans any more money. Although I would consider reducing it really low till the credit is used up, then change tariffs (I'm on fixed tariff) and leave. I'll try and get through on the phone tomorrow.
  • POLAR_BILL
    Options
    AliBee16 wrote: »
    Thanks Polar Bill, I never did get through.
    I would like the direct debit to be reduced to about £120 which would even it out through the year, but that would mean paying a large one-off payment. And I'm not going to give these charlatans any more money. Although I would consider reducing it really low till the credit is used up, then change tariffs (I'm on fixed tariff) and leave. I'll try and get through on the phone tomorrow.

I was expected to pay £43 but it was on a sliding scale and I just slid it back as far as it would go and only had to pay £5. They are hopeless. I have had the last 2 bills cancelled and when they raised new bills they only charged VAT on the difference between the first and second bill which resulted in me being undercharged by nearly £22. I have earned that from all the grief they have caused.
  • fred7777
    fred7777 Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    POLAR_BILL wrote: »
    fred7777 - How I sympathise with you and how patient to stay on the phone that long.! They are a nightmare to deal with and the ridiculous wait on the line to speak to someone. The e-mail reply system is also a joke as they cannot give a straight answer to a simple question.!
    The best bit is when I phones back a week later to ask why I had been sent another incorrect bill it turned out that no notes had been put on the system, no record of the call had been taken and nothing had been done.

So 1 day off work and 2.5 hours on hold for no progress!

Scottish Power are now getting Buchanan Clark & Wells to send threatening letters but still can't send a correct bill.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish Power must be the worst company I have ever dealt with.

We moved in March and SP supplied both gas and electric to the property.

Because we had no communication we contacted them after two weeks to set up an account,arrange monthly dd, and confirm start meter readings.They informed us our account would be up and running within a couple of days and we could access it online.

Nothing happened after two weeks,they were impossible to contact and did not reply to emails.Even asking the help of SP Social Media had little effect.

We switched supplier at the beginning of May and are still waiting for the final bill. I rang them up on Monday waited for 35 mins before asking for a callback. They did callback, said I had been put through to the wrong department and transferred me. I waited 45 mins but before I was able to speak to anyone the call was disconnected!

Do they want to do any business?
  • AliBee16
    Options
    Fourth day of trying to get through and 40 mins of waiting. They dont reply to tweets either. I dont think I've ever had such bad customer service, and havent even spoken to the correct department yet. Callback didnt call back. I would leave (if I could tell anyone) but am fixed till March 2015 (fool!!). If I can find anyone to write to, I will send recorded complaint now
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Options
    I have just listened to Martins podcast on 5live about Npower..http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/consumer

As far as I am concerned SP are much worse than Npower so perhaps he could take Scottish Power on for us as well!!

I have been thinking about contacting the Ombudsman.

It seems quite easy to complain and my problem has been going on for nearly three months now.

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/complain-now-energy.html
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure