PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bella,

There's an older thread with lots of advice on how to make perfect roast potatoes so I've added your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bella4uk wrote: »
    I never have any luck at yorkshire puddings either, so any help with them.
    Using an electric oven not fan assisted so second shelve not great.....
    thanks in advance will check in the morning

hi
    for yorkies this never fails for me......

75g plain flour
    2 eggs
    2tsp dried milk
    5 fluid oz water
    1/2 tsp salt

mix all the above so you have a batter, then put in the fridge about an hour before you need it.leave it in there right up until the last minute
    when you're ready to cook em, put a good knob of lard in each yorkie tin, and put in a pre-heated HOT oven....about 220
    heat fat in oven for about 10mins, then QUICKLY lift it out, put it on a burner on the hob to keep it smoking hot, then get batter out of fridge, and pour into pattie tins
    put back in oven,bake on top shelf for 15mins till risen (no peeking tho or they'll sink!), then put on 2nd shelf till cooked(bout another 10min)

it sounds a bit long winded i know, but i was hopeless at yorkies till i did it like this.....trick is, smoking hot fat and freezing cold batter ......... good luck!! :D
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Thanks for merging me in, I did search but found nothing.

What potatoes would you all say are best?
    Maris Piper or Desiree?

Have a look here Heather.....

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/roast-potatoes/
    :wave:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Can anybody give me a foolproof method for doing roast potatoes please ? I can only do roast marbles or roast mush.:D
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is cooking them too long in a conventional oven to make sure the innards are done means they end up mushy, or you go the opposite way and take them out when they look done and the innards are still rock hard. My solution?.Nuke `em first.
    Seriously I do lovely roasties, and the secret is to nuke them for 5 minutes before they go into the (hot!) oven. The microwave mostly cooks the insides and they just go in the oven to crisp up.
    I do all my roast veg this way, especially parsnips.... :drool:
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi, i always part boil my potatoes til you can just get a fork in the comfortably, (once to the boil check after 5mins then every couple of mins til you get the timing right as this varies from gas to elec hob) drain them the drizzle with olive oil and add a couple knobs of butter (i cant believe etc) then either put lid on a give a little shake (no good if your pots are to soft though) or stir with fork flufing up potato edges. then a put them on a baking tray, turn every 20 mins (about 180) until however crispy you like. turn out lovely everytime, not greasy and always fluffy in middle crispy on outside. sometimes like at xmas i`ll cook in duck fat, taste great but bit greasy but nice for a treat. hope this helps, i think i got this recipe from nigella.
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    thank you . I will try both these ways. x
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I do as betterlife does. Par-boil, shake, drizzle, roast - YUMMY! :grin:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just cracked them myself (was working on yorkshire puds before that so stuck with mash for a while) par boil until a fork will just go in, then oil and roast (goose fat is yummier but probably even worse for you....)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • lucasmum
    lucasmum Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    As above I par boil them first, another nigella tip is to cut the potato into 3 pieces so the middle piece is a triangle, as this maximises the outside crisping edges IYKWIM. Also after I have par boiled them I put them back in the hot pan to dry up any moisture left then my secret ingredient is semolina(no I am not crazy-well....)
    Just a tbsp of semolina straight from the packet and shake it all round and into a tray of HOT oil and into a hot oven and you should have the crispiest potatoes ever. hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure