PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• tiredwithtwins
    Options
    gosh.....i just peel the spuds and chuck em with the roast! slosh in a couple of glugs of oil, season and bung em in to cook for as long as the roast.....they come out crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, and lovely and tasty from the meat juices :)

...wish i wasnt on a diet :(
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • voucher_queen_3
    Options
    I par boil mine for about 15 mins with skin on - then put in roasting tin with oil in , then scatter rosemary and garlic salt on them and a quick squirt of spray oil over the top
    I want to...........?
  • hermit-crab
    hermit-crab Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I thought roast potatos needed to be peeled before putting in with the meat. It would save me some trouble if I can cook them unpealed.

I make a small roast on a Sunday. My brother in law joins me on alternate weeks and I go to his home on alternate weeks. The week he comes to me I have enough left to reheat in the microwave the next day. I reheat the meat and the vegetables under a plastic dome thing I bought in the supermarket and they are fine but I have to warm the oven to reheat the potatoes because they go soggy otherwise. Does any body know how to heat roasties from the day before in the microwave and still keep them crispy?
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    I normally part boil, but the last few times I have done them I have just put straight into a very hot roasting tin with melted lard or goose fat. They do take a little longer to cook but they taste lovely.

My DD's favourite meal is Roast Chicken with loads of roast spuds, carrots, cabbage and HM yorkshire puds. Or HM toad-in-hole with roast spuds.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • budget_counsellor_shaz
    Options
    Try these.... I watched Jamie Oliver and tried these they are amazing:D

Part boil potatoes as normal
    Chop and fry onions and garlic
    Place onions and garlic in base of roasting pan place part boiled potatoes on top.
    Then poor over about 1 third to half bottle of balsamic vinegar over the top of the poatoes add some herbs
    You need a hot oven
    shake the pan place back into the oven and part through cooking shake again
    Cook for about an hour

Give them a go the balsamic vinegar seemed strange but they make it

Shaz :T
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No oil over them, just vinegar? Sounds like a low fat option I might have to try ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • budget_counsellor_shaz
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    No oil over them, just vinegar? Sounds like a low fat option I might have to try ;)

Hi Newlywed

There is some oil from the fried onions and garlic but no where near as much as normal;)

Shaz

I forgot to add salt and pepper to the recipe
  • bella4uk
    bella4uk Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A quick post before I go to bed, going shopping tomorrow and I'm darned if I'm buying Aunt bessies roast potatoes....my sister said use goose fat??? also best potatoes to use, and any other tips.....
    I never have any luck at yorkshire puddings either, so any help with them.
    Using an electric oven not fan assisted so second shelve not great.....
    thanks in advance will check in the morning

:santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :santa2: :snow_laug :snow_laug :snow_laug :xmassmile :xmassmile :xmassmile :xmassmile :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :kisses: :kisses:
  • brazilianwax
    Options
    I make amazing roasties (so I'm told).

My secret? Maris Pipers, shaken after parboiling, and super-hot sunflower oil.

Nothing else.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    Options
    goose fat is so you can have the oven very high. Nigella Lawson sprinkles some dry semolina over her parboiled potatoes before roughing them up and roasting. We're trying that this year.

Joe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport