PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• hope_strong
    Options
    My own, very bad for your health tip - I sprinkle a bit of sea salt on before shoving them in the oven.

And I cut them small so it's all edge and no potato, maximum crisp!

Then I eat salad all week to make up for it....
    -Hope
    total debt as at 02/02/06 = 18944

2006 target = finally get my share of money from divorce, pay off cards
    rest of year = use remaining money to build up house deposit
    2007 = buy a house

I did it - am now safely in house with my boyfriend. We're sorting out our joint finances and getting organised. GOOD LUCK to all those on the board. You can get there.

• BrokeBrunette
    Options
    Hi everyone

I wondered if someone would be kind enough to tell me how long you normally cook roast potatoes for, and if you part boil them first?

I haven't done any for years but as part of the new me I'm doing a roast dinner today. I'm worried about getting everything cooked at the same time and can't remember how long roasties take.

I'd really appreciate your advice - thanks :D
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I par boil and roast for about 40 mins.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    You need to allow for the size of your potatoes so anything from 40mins - 1hr

Par boil for 5mins. Drain. Shake in the pan.

Add to *hot* roasting tin with chosen fat/oil and coat the potatoes in the hot oil/fat. This helps to produce a crispy outside but soft inside.

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • julesgr
    julesgr Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I par boil mine, drain them then give them a good shake in the pan with a lid on to rough them up a bit, I then dip them in hot fat (less waste than a hot tray full) and pop them in to a hot tray with no extra fat and cook for about 40 mins ...result crunchy on outside and fluffy and soft in the middle
    Weight loss since 01/08/07 - 72 lbs:j
  • BrokeBrunette
    Options
    thanks everyone - I'm feeling really hungry now!!!!! :D:D:D

Just in the middle of making a chocolate cake and a lemon cake but those roasties sound yummy. I can't wait for my dinner later. I notice that everyone part cooks them first so I will definitely do that as I love them crispy on the outside.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you cut them small, then you get more crispy bits as there will be more outside of the tatty. They will also cook quicker.

Hope that makes sense!!
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I don't par boil mine - just cut 'em up and toss 'em in the oil but then they don't get the crispy edges. If I can be bothered or have time I par boil or microwave them with a bit of water for about 6 mins and then shake them up in the pan/box to roughen up the edges. Semolina is also meant to give a nice crunch to them... as is goose fat if you happen to have any <G>
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I par boil mine, drain them then give them a good shake in the pan with a lid on to rough them up a bit
    I do this julesgr, but add a little flour before shaking them in the pan - I feel it helps crisp them up lovely coating when roasting.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do the par boil as well but instead of shaking them in the pan I tip them into the culender (sp) then put a dinner plate of the top and shake over the sink. The culender roughs up the potatoes very well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure