PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use whatever oil I've got in the cupboard, but I do save bits of bacon fat just for a special occasion like roasties. Mmm, gives them a lovely salty tang. For crispiness though, a high heat and lots of roughing them about in a colander before being dashed into hot hot oil, and I find lots of moving them about so all sides get a chance to be crunchy. :)

HTH

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Duck fat is also excellent :T
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did they go, OP? :)
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    I always toss my spuds in cornmeal/Polenta (same stuff) as I am chuffing up the par boiled spuds I sprinkle it over so it is well distributed then throw them in burning hot oil in roasting tin. They come out absolutely Devine every time
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    How did they go, OP? :)

Well after you had all replied i just checked one last time in fridge and found some beef dripping lurking in a draw so used that, scared me abit about what people were saying about Flora cuisine :( wont be using that in future! :) Roasties were beaut! Par boiled, air dried, tsp flour, roughed up, onion granuels, garlic granuals and in the oven! Y-u-m-m-y!!
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I cannot get beef dripping anywhere. Am in Southern Ireland. All I can see Is a block of vegetable fat for pastry and the like.

I think it was banned after mad cow disease or something like that.

Can you still get it easily in Uk?

If anyone is reading where I am, can they point me to where I might get beef dripping?

I know I could render down beef fat. But life's too short!
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morrisons is where i bought it from :)
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rossy2692 wrote: »
    Morrisons is where i bought it from :)

Don't have a Morrissons here though!

When we were kids and money was tight, we used to have bread slathered in dripping.

Sounds awful, but Food of the gods. Honest!
  • Olive_Oyl
    Olive_Oyl Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Ok the best roast potatoes( ( use red skinned ) are par boiled for 10/ 12 minutes or until you can stick a knife into the potato but its still firm but not hard . Drain in a colander and toss to roughen the edges then coat in a good dusting of flour .

Cook in hot lard . Perfect . :)
    Never tell .
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always use vegetable or sunflower oil just because it's always in the cupboard. Not overly huge on the flavour of olive oil, I use a mild flavoured one for HM wedges etc. but never thought of using it for roasties. I just do a shallow amount of vegetable oil and tend to use the Fry Light spray to cover them on top (Fry Light having been refilled with vegetable oil many a time rather than spending a fortune buying diluted oil!). Always nice and crisp with a good flavour IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure