PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cook only for 20 mins before heating later? I would normally roast for at least 1 hour......?
    Had a look through that thread you kindly directed me to, but nothing specific to earlier cooked potatoes - only frozen roasties. Mine will be hanging about for a while..........bit worried whether they will discolour?
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shouldn't think there will be a problem. Cook them until they are a little less brown than usual, then finish them off later. If they don't seem to be crisping up properly later on, bung the heat up quite high for a few mins, but watch they don't burn!

Or, you could always cheat like my mum often did, and deep fry them very quickly to finish them off! Have plenty of paper towels handy to soak up the fat immediately if you do this though.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    beedeedee wrote: »
    Cook only for 20 mins before heating later? I would normally roast for at least 1 hour......?
    Had a look through that thread you kindly directed me to, but nothing specific to earlier cooked potatoes - only frozen roasties. Mine will be hanging about for a while..........bit worried whether they will discolour?

Sorry, i meant half cook them, then finish cooking them later Don't worry they won't discolour :D :j
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bee how did your roasties go?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    I never seem to get my roast potatoes and parsnips cooked nice when I make a Sunday roast.
    I always par boil the potatoes and parsnips. Then pour a bit of the oil/juices from the meat in an oven tray, put in the veg and drizzle the fat over.
    Put it in the oven 200C for 30 min, sometimes turn them over and in for another 20 min.
    Today the oil in the tray was completely burnt after 30min and the veg was stuck to the tray and the parsnips soggy.
    What am I doing wrong????
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    Options
    greenpixey wrote: »
    I never seem to get my roast potatoes and parsnips cooked nice when I make a Sunday roast.
    I always par boil the potatoes and parsnips. Then pour a bit of the oil/juices from the meat in an oven tray, put in the veg and drizzle the fat over.
    Put it in the oven 200C for 30 min, sometimes turn them over and in for another 20 min.
    Today the oil in the tray was completely burnt after 30min and the veg was stuck to the tray and the parsnips soggy.
    What am I doing wrong????

Did you get your tin and fat really hot before adding the veg?

When I use the meat fat to cook the veg, I use only the fat; not the meat juices (they're saved for gravy). It may have been the meat juices burning.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • marmalize
    marmalize Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    i don't par boil the parsnips as i find they cook much quicker than pots.....as for the oil...if there is meat 'juice' rather than just meat 'oil' in the tin (iyswim) then this can cause things to stick and it can also become burned ...(the flavour is better with 'juices' but it's harder to get the pots crispy without burning them )
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I par boil potatoes but not parsnips, and add salt to the water.
    then i put them in the oven at Gas 8 I think this is about 230? 200 is a medium/hot oven and you need hot to get them crisp outside.
    I dont use meat juices - they go in the gravy, just oil and if i have some, beef dripping. also - heat the oil before you put the veg in as it prevents the veg soaking up the oil and making them soggy and the pan dry (which means it burns)
    hope this helps. otherwise you can use aunt bessies or store brand roasties and parsnips on a lightly oiled tray and they come out perfect by following the pack directions.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I do par-boil parsnips but give them less time than the potatoes.I also use oil rather than the fat from the meat. My mother used to roast potatoes in the same pan as the meat but I find that they tend to go a bit soggy that way.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    i par boil my pots when i put the meat in the oven then i add the pots to the meat and cover them in the juices. They then cook in the oven for 2 hours or more. They come out very crispy. If i dont add the pots to the meat I use goose fat to cook them in.

The parsnips i par boil with the carrots and put in the oven for an hour. Although they do come out a bit burned but thats how i like them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure