PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi there - 2 top tips from me:
    • right potato - I use Desiree
    • right fat - I use goose fat, duck fat, or lard. It has to be smoking hot before tipping in par boiled potatoes
    I'll add this to the main roast potato thread so that you can see other people's suggestions.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My god. We have a whole roast potato thread ?? :) thanks !
  • Kataratarina
    Options
    ok, i know to par boil them but when i'm putting them in the oven do i coat them with a little oil or do i put the oil in the tray and then set the potatoes on top??

i want them to be scrummy!!!
    Now a mother to my beautiful daughter Olivia
    Born 10th Dec 2010 weighing 7lb 1oz
    :D:A
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Par boil just for about 4 mins (denpends on which pots u are using but don't let them get soft), drain then shake them to death in the pot you boiled them in , it roughens up the outsides, I always heat the oil in the pan first then tip in the pots and baste them , also turn and baste them again , they will be scrummy...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Get your oil/fat hot in the oven first
    Once you have par boiled/steamed your potatoes let them dry off -I then sprinkle over a little flour(makes them crispier) with salt and pepper and toss into the hot fat -be carefull as it might spit..then stick in the oven and just turn occasionally
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    First get the right potato (waxy potatoes just don't work) if in doubt something like Estima or King Edwards are the usual ones in the supermarket. If you can, use potatoes that are twice the size you want the roasties to be and cut them in half (It is the cut surface that goes crispiest) Put in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil - use a pan with a lid. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain out the water and put the potatoes back in the pan and pop the lid back on. Shake the pan to roughen the surface of the spud - this will give you lovely crispy bits. Use a metal tray and one which all the spuds fit in in a single layer - if they aren't in contact with the metal they won't go crispy. Pour a little oil into the tray and then get a large spoon and kinda baste the spuds. Into a hot oven - they ony take about an hour so start them about halfway through cooking a standard roast chicken for example. Every 20 minutes or so toss all the spuds with a fish slice or similar so they all get coated with oil again, and there you are - should be nice and fluffy in the middle and crispy on the outside - yum:wink:
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Yes, you should put them (carefully) into hot fat, goose fat or beef dripping is best for flavour but not essential. Let them 'steam dry' after parboiling then bash the edges in the pan, sprinkle with a little flour or semolina then put them in the tray of hot fat. I find Maris Pipers the most reliable.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1303/ultimate-roast-potatoes
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Kataratarina
    Options
    thanks guys... i thought id make the potatoes from scratch because the chicken isnt (eeeekkkk i hear u scream) i just wouldnt know where to start...

so ive got the potatoes in the oven (minus flour-dont have any) so next i have to par boil my other potatoes to make champ....

my method is:

par boil potatoes
    heat milk and scallions
    mash and pour in mix

and hey presto!!

although OH doesnt want milk in his ( he just wants butter- he is one odd being!) but mine will be much better!!!

wish me luck :D
    Now a mother to my beautiful daughter Olivia
    Born 10th Dec 2010 weighing 7lb 1oz
    :D:A
  • Pink_fluff
    Options
    What are scallions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing