PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    Did you get your tin and fat really hot before adding the veg?
    When I use the meat fat to cook the veg, I use only the fat; not the meat juices (they're saved for gravy). It may have been the meat juices burning.
    The tin and oil were not hot at all by the time I got around to do them, will try that next time.
    How can you just use the fat and not the meat juices is there a way to separate them, I do save most of the meat juices and oil for the gravy
    . Someone told me if I put a couple of ice cubes in the tray after the meat has been cooked it will attract all the fat and you just scoop it up...but I always forget to try.

nuttybabe wrote: »
    i par boil my pots when i put the meat in the oven then i add the pots to the meat and cover them in the juices. They then cook in the oven for 2 hours or more. They come out very crispy. If i dont add the pots to the meat I use goose fat to cook them in.
    The parsnips i par boil with the carrots and put in the oven for an hour. Although they do come out a bit burned but thats how i like them.

I wouldn't have the space to put the potatoes and parsnips with the meat. And I slow roast the meat under foil 150C (gas 2-3) for 3-4 hrs to get it really moist and it just falls off the bone, so I cant do my veg that way. But I will have a go at the goose fat, have not done that for a long time and it makes it taste sooo much nicer.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    hot hot fat is the secret. if you want t use the meat fat then pour i off and leave it to stand in a cup - the fat will rise to the top and you can spoon it off. If you can't be bothered with that then use beef dripping, goose fat or veg oil and put it in the oven 10-15 mins before you add the spuds
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    The secret is fat. People struggle with roast potatoes when they're miserly with the fat. Usually, this is for perfectly good, health-related reasons, but I've never had a delicious low-fat roastie.

In a perfect world, the trick is to parboil the potatoes, drain them, return them to the pan and shake them until the edges are fluffy. Then put them in a deep tray and slosh with olive oil. It doesn't matter if you preheat the tray and oil or not.

But I've been working in the garden all day, and this evening we've had peeled potatoes, not parboiled, just cut up small, coated in cold oil and shoved into a hot oven. They were crispy and delicious. Just use enough oil.
    import this
  • captainspam
    captainspam Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I always put a bit of margerine on the potatoes and a sprinkle of salt. They always come out cripsy
    Nov 2010 :1st win beauty box set of 3 worth £40 and a cushelle koala
    Dec 2010: hair products by liz earle, 9 koalas:o

Jan: Rimmel Mascara, No7 mascara

• jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2010 at 9:05PM
    Options
    I put a good glug (technical term!) of veg oil, whole cloves of garlic, (not peeled or crushed, just whole) and a sprig of rosemary and thyme, let it heat, whilst I let the water boil on the pots. I literally put them in warm tap water, then when it boils remove them, and place them into the hot fat. Then I do "shakey shakey" every 20 mins or so. After about an hour they are done.
    As for parsnips, I dont parboil them, but I do heat them in the tin on the hob to start them off for about 5 mins in some honey and oil, salt and pepper, then into the oven for the last 30 mins.

Everyone does them differently, my nan would turn in her grave that I dont use dripping, ( in my defence I cook the meat in lard, but the hens get fat balls made from it!) nor do I add a drop of yorkie mix to my gravy! (only because we advertise gluten free options!) and even though I do the same each week, some weeks it just doesnt go right! Some people salt their roasties, some don't, some don't parboil them, which i never used to. Its just what suits you, and practice. I must admit, Laurel shakes them to fluff them up, I am going to try that next week as my nan used to do it and I forgot all about it so thank you!
    take care
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    HI Greenpixey

You've had some great advice already - sounds like the juices from the meat were the problem IMO.

To separate the fat from the juices, you let is "set" and the fat forms a solid layer at the top which you scrape off

I am making roasties at the moment - had a nap which lasted too long, but had roasties in my mind so I WILL have them:rotfl:

My two biggies would be getting the potatoes as dry as possible (even put them back in the pot once drained and keep over the heat for a minute or two to remove excess water) and the fat being hot as possible. Mine sizzles when I put it on the potatoes - I heat it in the oven at full blast. Just realised i forgot to dry out the potatoes as i usually do! grrrr!

Have a read of "crispy roast potatoes" to see what others do, and I'll merge it later for you

PS - i went to put semolina on to make them even crispier, but accidentally used couscous (which is meant to be good anyway) so will report back :o

Zipz
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    greenpixey wrote: »
    The tin and oil were not hot at all by the time I got around to do them, will try that next time.
    How can you just use the fat and not the meat juices is there a way to separate them,

It sounds like you don;t have much fat coming from your roast ;) The juices you get out should be 2 layers - the juices below and the fat on top. Use a spoon, and you can carefully skim the fat off. If you haven;t enough fat, save the fat from a roast duck or goose (they have loads - I clarified the goose fat from Christmas 2008, froze in small portions, and we're onto the last tub now :D ) or use vegetable oil.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I think you have to use the right type of potatoes too to get the best results, I like Desiree, hot hot hot fat in pre heated tin in hot hot hot oven.

I have done low fat roasties when I was doing Slimming World, spray oil is pretty good but dripping does a better job if you are not worrying about your figure.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    For all my youth, my roasties are legendary within my family, so I shall share what years of watching the food channel have taught me...

I find there are a few key steps.

* You must par-boil the spuds
    * They must be bashed around to have mushy edges (put them back in the pan with the lid on, and shake the pan around)
    * They must be good and dry (more for safety IMO!!)
    * There should be a good quantity of oil in the roasting tray
    * The oil should be as hot as possible (preheated, til there's a shimmer off it)

Fat's I've found to be effective are: veg oil, sunflower oil, goose fat, lard

I'd personally avoid: butter, olive oil as they can't take the heat needed really

Fat's I've not tried but have heard good things about: Dripping, groundnut oil

PGxx
  • aloise
    aloise Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My roasties are lovely (only thing that is ).Par boil with salt (important ) till quite soft and give them a good shake. Put them in very hot fat, pauliesgirl gives a goood list of suitable ones, but i use crisp & dry. Sprinkle salt on top of them, iknow, iknow, the salt thing but this is what makes them lovely and crispy. enjoy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure