PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

Options

Comments

• Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been doing my roasties a different way for a while, it was something I read somewhere and I can't remember where..but here is how I do them.

I parboil the pots for about 5 mins, drain them totally, bash them around in the colander so that the sides are roughed up a bit. Then I let them dry totally. When they are dry I put them in a tin with a good dollap of cold goose fat, then put them in the oven for about 45 mins and voila!! They are gorgeous this way too.. I also do the same with the parsnips but obviously not parboiling or bashing them..lol
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Grebe
    Grebe Posts: 5,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to confess I cheat with my roasties as I par boil the pots drain them put a tablespoon of semolina into the pot then with the lid on give them a good old shake about. This helps roughen up the surface of the pots and makes the semilona stick.
    Chuck them into a tray of preheated, very hot sunflower oil and straight into a hot oven.
    "To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill" Sun Tzu
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    I have always par boiled my potatoes, until you can put a knife in them and the knife slides out again, but not break up the potato, i suppose its about 10 - 15 minutes. i then drain and (thanks to MATH) add 2 - 4 tablespoons of oil (depends how many potatoes i have) give the pan a shake so the potatoes are covered in oil and slightly roughed up and then tip them into a tray and roast for 30 - 40 minutes, turning once. I get lovely crispy roasties, without using much fat!!!!!

I know this is an old thread, but I found it when searching for help with cooking roasties for freezing ;) What a great idea, much easier than trying to coat them all with oil once in the tray as well as not using much oil. Thank you!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Sorry for a very late question. I'm planning to have roast potatoes as part of tomorrow's dinner. I now have realised what I have is a bag of small baby potatoes. I'm wondering if I could get away with scrubbing them and roasting them whole rather than having to peel them, or trying to locate other potatoes at this time on Christmas Eve.

Any thoughts - they are nice, neat little ones so I just wondered if they would do the same job, albeit it would roast in much less time.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I roast baby potatoes all the time just wash them and leave the skins on, I find them best done in Olive oil
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roast baby potatoes with the skin on are delicious! I bought some myself the other day and will probably have those tomorrow too.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've roasted baby new potatoes too - scrummy :)
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Thanks guys. That will avoid me having to ask my mother if I can swap some baby potatoes for some normal ones!

cutestkids - do you think they would be ok in goosefat or should I stick to olive oil?
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • mumlady1
    mumlady1 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    Hi scottishminnie, yup you can use goose fat :-) I do baby roasters (with skin on) regularly & use goose fat. They'll be fab! Enjoy! Merry christmas xx
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Cheers - goose fat it is. Thank goodness for all you good people on MSE.

Have a fabulous Christmas
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family