Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Sinhanada
    Sinhanada Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have a question I'm hoping people can answer. I successfully applied for compensation from Air France but due to delays in them paying this, it took 7 weeks. During this time I complained and wrote a letter advising of impending court action.

To cut a long story short, I received the compensation four weeks ago directly into my bank account. I have now received the same compensation this morning. I can see how this error has been made by them, but here's my dilema.

Do I keep the money, and if so, how long before their error stays in my favour?

Do I contact Air France to notify them of their mistake?
  • Sinhanada
    Sinhanada Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Centipede. I looked online too and found this:

http://www.money.co.uk/article/1005023-can-you-keep-money-accidentally-paid-into-your-bank-account.htm

The error does not stay in my favour, but if I transfer it to my savings account until they advise on what to do then at least I have earned a few pennies interest until they give me details on how to transfer it back!
  • ianmcn7
    Options
    hi

could anyone give me some advise please.we were due to fly to singapore via edinburgh then amsterdam for our honeymoon.all flights were klm.at edinburgh our flight was on the runway when pilot declared a sensor fault and he would shut plane down then start it back up to see if it corrected itself,it did but we departed around 30 mins late and were told inflight we would not make connection.they put us in a hotel overnight and sent us next day via singapore airlines because we would get there sooner(klm decided this).we arrived in singapore 15 hours later than we should have.i emailed klm with compensation request and they informed me today that they would give us £200 in flight vouchers each.i declined this and await a futher reply.can anyone tell me if i am correct in holding out for actual money.Thet said there lawyers had looked at all aspects of the case and this was a goodwill gesture.i dont believe it.

thanks in advance for any help.
  • chennaiExpress
    Options
    hello,

my flight was booked for KLM airlines from mumbai to amsterdam to stuttgart.It was on 13th oct 2013 at 1.10am.when we were about to take off captain informed us that there is some technical fault , so they asked us to stay at hotel and rescheduled it on 14th oct 2013 12.10am.again it got delayed by one hr.My connecting flight from amsterdam to stuttgart was also rearranged by klm accordingly.please let me know how much claim i can get for this?
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    ianmcn7 wrote: »
    hi

could anyone give me some advise please.we were due to fly to singapore via edinburgh then amsterdam for our honeymoon.all flights were klm.at edinburgh our flight was on the runway when pilot declared a sensor fault and he would shut plane down then start it back up to see if it corrected itself,it did but we departed around 30 mins late and were told inflight we would not make connection.they put us in a hotel overnight and sent us next day via singapore airlines because we would get there sooner(klm decided this).we arrived in singapore 15 hours later than we should have.i emailed klm with compensation request and they informed me today that they would give us £200 in flight vouchers each.i declined this and await a futher reply.can anyone tell me if i am correct in holding out for actual money.Thet said there lawyers had looked at all aspects of the case and this was a goodwill gesture.i dont believe it.

thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

Yes, this is standard practise. In your reply you should state that you are entitled to 600Euros per passenger as the delay to my knowledge is not Extraordinary circumstances and should have been picked up at routine inspection \ maintenance
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    hello,

my flight was booked for KLM airlines from mumbai to amsterdam to stuttgart.It was on 13th oct 2013 at 1.10am.when we were about to take off captain informed us that there is some technical fault , so they asked us to stay at hotel and rescheduled it on 14th oct 2013 12.10am.again it got delayed by one hr.My connecting flight from amsterdam to stuttgart was also rearranged by klm accordingly.please let me know how much claim i can get for this?

You should be entitled to 600 Euros per passenger for this. Log onto the website and go to the contact us \ make a claim section
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    There is no dilemma. The money is not yours.

You should indeed contact the airline ASAP to notify them and make subsequent arrangements to return the money paid in error.

The error never stays in your favour. The airline could initiate a legal claim to recover the overpaid sum with interest and court fees unless it is returned promptly. If the boot was on the other foot and you had paid twice for something I would give the same advice.

I did contact the Airline last week when this was made in error and I have had no contact from them regarding it. How long do you think it should take them to contact me regarding this? The money is in a savings account (Well I may as well earn some interest off it) but wondered how long they had to contact me back?
  • Limana68
    Limana68 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys
    Im still having problems getting KLM to pay up...........just wondering if anyone has a contact no for their legal dept in UK???

Thanks for any help:D
  • Beerwolf
    Options
    I recently posted the following on the general flight compensation forum in the mistaken belief it was the KLM board.....

I claimed compensation from Delta due to a delayed flight (6 hrs) to the US which led to me missing a connection and arriving at my destination a day late. They offered compensation straight away which I was surprised at. The compensation offered was 600 Euros cash or 800 in vouchers with KLM/AF/Delta. To my regret I opted for the vouchers and my tale of woe began........

KLM seem to administer the vouchers, and all my dealings have been with them. When attempting to book flights from UK to Athens, I immediately ran into problems.

Problem 1: I tried to book 9 days before a flight, but they require 10 days notice. The vouchers have to be posted, by recorded delivery, to Amsterdam. My existing BA airmiles saved the day - 2 flights LHR to Athens for 20k miles and £35. Unfortunately there were no return flights available with BA, so I attempted to use the credit for flights back via Paris.

Problem 2: The vouchers can only be used for ONE person per booking i.e. any travelling companions have to pay full fare, even if the credit covers the full amount. Air France airmiles to the rescue this time - one flight on airmiles, one on the voucher.

Needless to say none of these restrictions appear in their correspondence.

It took numerous phone calls at some considerable cost to make the booking, plus about £6 to post the voucher to Amsterdam. I was told to phone KLM if I hadn't received email notification from them of receipt of the voucher after 5 days, by which time I was in Athens. I gave it 8 days before phoning. After waiting on hold for about 15 mins, I eventually managed to speak to somebody who told me that they had had it for several days.

KLM are supposed to be re-issuing the voucher with about £70 credit left which 3 weeks later I am still waiting for. If I manage to use the credit (it has a 1 year expiry from initial issue), I am looking at about £10 in phone calls & post to do so.

During the initial fruitless calls, the call centre staff were extremely rude and unhelpful - the worst I've ever experienced with any company in any industry. Had I taken the cash and flown with another airline, I would have spent about the same for 2 flights but saved myself 60000 airmiles and approx £100 in taxes and calls/post.

I can only assume that KLM are making it as awkward as possible to actually use the credit, in the hope that a good percentage will never use it. So be very wary about accepting credit from KLM/AF/Delta - sometimes something really can be too good to be true!
  • Peely01
    Peely01 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2013 at 2:55PM
    Options
    I booked a 2 night holiday to Disneyland Paris, flying from Manchester to Paris with Air France.
    We arrived at the Airport for our 9am flight on 28th October and were told it was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. The Air France flights before and after ours all flew as did every other flight on the departures board except a KLM flight to Amsterdam.
    We were offered a flight the next day at 12:50.
    This was no use as our trip was only 2 nights so there would have been no point going.
    I paid £963.80 for a Ryanair flight leaving the same day, 28th October. I checked with saga my travel insurers before I did this. The flight landed at Beauvais rather than Charles De Gaulle so cost an extra 60 Euros taxi fare.
    Air France did nothing to help, they gave us £4.50 food voucher each and a piece of paper telling us the flight was cancelled and listing options.
    What shall I do- claim on my saga travel insurance or contact air France?
    Thanks for any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport