Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• pichon
    pichon Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Air France has been ignoring my rejection of their minuscule offer and demand for what they mean by "technical and extraordinary" (as they keep repeating the same thing over and over again) for 21 calendar days, or 15 working days. Replies to my previous correspondences were quick and within less than a week maximum.

Are they supposed to reply to me within 14 calendar days or 14 working days? Are they playing a waiting game or should I send another reminder? :mad:
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    pichon wrote: »
    Air France has been ignoring my rejection of their minuscule offer and demand for what they mean by "technical and extraordinary" (as they keep repeating the same thing over and over again) for 21 calendar days, or 15 working days. Replies to my previous correspondences were quick and within less than a week maximum.

Are they supposed to reply to me within 14 calendar days or 14 working days? Are they playing a waiting game or should I send another reminder? :mad:

Air France are getting quite busy apparantly. I'm still awaiting my compensation and they state this will take 3-4 weeks minimum.

I would ask have the replied with what the extraordinary circumstances are? If so can you copy and paste their reply in here?
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    mrsyorkie wrote: »
    Woohoo! Result at last!! :money::j

Email from Air France;
    I write further to your recent communication and would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the long time taken in order to finalise your file.
    We have carefully reconsidered your claim and are pleased to inform you that this is a situation where we can offer compensation in accordance with the EU recommendations. You may opt to have this as a travel voucher for the amount of 800 Euros or as a cash payment for the lesser amount 600 Euros.
    The travel voucher will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be used in full or part payment of future flights with Air France, KLM, and Delta Air Lines.
    In case you opt for the lower cash amount, kindly forward us the bank details of each party of you as follows:

Can I just ask please - should it be 600 euros per person, or in total? (there were two of us travelling).

Yes it is definitely per person - but be warned they are taking minimum of 3-4 weeks to pay up!
  • pichon
    Options
    Sinhanada wrote: »
    Air France are getting quite busy apparantly. I'm still awaiting my compensation and they state this will take 3-4 weeks minimum.

I would ask have the replied with what the extraordinary circumstances are? If so can you copy and paste their reply in here?

They just keep repeating that it was unexpected and extraordinary without giving me any reasonable detail to convince me that it was. Being evasive actually convinces me that it wasn't actually extraordinary? They just offer me 3000 airmiles.

In the first reply, they said,

"The flight concerned was delayed due to a technical that is encountered unexpectedly, which presents itself beyond our scope of influence and is a threat to flight safety. It can be regarded as an extraordinary circumstance and therefore is not one here there is an entitlement to compensation under EU regulations."

And in the second reply, they said,

"Your flight was delayed as a result of technical restrictions. We took all the reasonable measures we could under these particular circumstances and every effort was made in order to offer you the best possible care and assistance.

According to EU recommendations, airline passengers are entitled to compensation in case of delays longer than 3 hours - unless the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances over which we could not exercise any influence.

I have carefully considered your request and taken into account all relevant details for your delayed flight. The circumstances which caused this delay are considered 'extraordinary' according to the European Union regulation. As a result, I must respectively decline your request."
  • ellie-mai
    Options
    To anyone fighting with Air France ..... don't give up! WE WON!!

We had a 7 hr delay that was completely their fault (poor maintenance on a very old plane) and they treated us very badly. Had they done the right thing and moved us to a later connection (which would have been very easy to do) I would have been very happy. Instead, they left us in CDG for 7 hours without any food, drinks, phone calls etc - so I claimed compensation.

I have exchanged numerous polite emails with them over the last 18 months and have been fobbed off at every turn saying our flight was extraordinary circumstances and we were therefore not eligible (despite my research showing the problem was noticed on the aircraft on the previous day). I have followed all the guidelines on forums such as these and quoted all the relevant laws. I am not legally trained in any way but did it all myself with guidance from the web.

In June, I sent a notice before action letter to them. This was ignored. But to my amazement 3 weeks ago I received a phone call offering me the full compensation of $600 per traveller. I supplied my bank details (they required swift codes etc as it is a foreign transfer). I have checked my bank every day since as I was paranoid it was a con!!! Today the money arrived and I am thrilled. :D

So - don't give up. Some think the compensation is wrong, but I see it as a wake up call to such companies. Had they played fair I would not have claimed a penny.
  • Sinhanada
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I would respond by asking them to explain what the technical restrictions were as the very next email and also ask them to respond within 7 days.

Without them giving any details as to what the technical details are \ were you cannot do very much! Hope they do respond and good luck!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ellie-mai wrote: »

Today the money arrived and I am thrilled. :D

So - don't give up. Some think the compensation is wrong, but I see it as a wake up call to such companies. Had they played fair I would not have claimed a penny.
    So you didn't actually commence legal action?
    Congrats :T:T:T:T
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • pichon
    Options
    Sinhanada wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. I would respond by asking them to explain what the technical restrictions were as the very next email and also ask them to respond within 7 days.

Without them giving any details as to what the technical details are \ were you cannot do very much! Hope they do respond and good luck!

Yes, I asked for clarification of what they mean by technical in three emails I sent so far - but they are keep being evasive in the two replies I've received. I will follow up with your advice again. Thanks a lot!
  • pichon
    Options
    ellie-mai wrote: »

Congratulations!! 18 months!!! How patient!!! Well done!!
    :beer:
  • MissusTC
    Options
    I used the template letter provided by MSE to write to KLM/Air France. I sent the letter on 18th August 2013 to their UK office and I am still awaiting a response. Is this the norm for this company?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback