We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lindaflood wrote: »

Sorry to be thick, can we still claim compensation through KLM or as it was a Delta flgiht, are we not eligable under the EU rules. Thank you in advance for any help, anyone can give me.

Linda,

I too am struggling to understand your circumstances here. So you flew from the Uk to Detroit to Orlando, and then back the same route? And you were delayed on the return journey on the Detroit-UK leg?

Assuming you were not delay for "extraordinary" reasons (weather, strikes, or something beyond the control of the airline), then whether you are due compensation (€600 for a 4 hour delay on arrival, or €300 for a 3-4 hour delay) depends on who you flew with. If it was a European carrier (eg KLM) you qualify, if it's a US one you do not. It is whoever operate the flight that counts - not who you booked tickets with.
  • Nnenne
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    You are right. There is nothing in the Regulation or subsequent case law that says that technical failures that occur "halfway through the journey ... are not covered by the European Regulation". If anything, the Wallentin judgement makes the opposite point.

I suggest you star court action and watch the airline's resolution wilt.

Thanks. Can I issue NBA via email?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nnenne wrote: »
    Thanks. Can I issue NBA via email?

Not recommended as airline can say they never received. Snail mail with proof of posting or recorded best.
  • stardoman
    Options
    I am going to put a claim in but I think they will say we are not eligble because the problem occurred during take off which meant that the pilot aborted take off and returned to the airport (one of the engines stalled). However, the plane was already two hours late because it had to pass a safety inspection and we had missed the slot. The pilot explained this as we sat on the tarmac for a long time. Does this indicate that the plane already had a problem?

Although we were eventually taken to a hotel, we were only offered one small glass of water from boarding the plane at 7pm to getting in the taxi at 2am. This was at 10pm, shortly after the aborted take off. We were not offered anything to eat. My 8 year old became unwell, basically due to the lack of food and drink. We arrived at the hotel at 3am and could not get any food, so had to wait until the following morning.

The other odd thing was that they told us that they would put on a flight at 8pm the following evening and it would be the plane we were due to fly on. My husband and son were collected at the hotel and taken to check onto this flight. However, it was cancelled as the plane was not ready. However, I can't find out anything about this flight or even if it really was planned. My husband had the impression that it was a fake flight and was never going to happen.

I have filled in the standard letter and then added some extra paragraphs at the bottom to explain some of the details such as the lack of food or drink. Do you think this is okay?

Thanks for your help.
  • ginger68_2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Bit of a dumb question as I've been reading this thread with interest. I had a delayed flight from Newcastle -> Amsterdam in 2010 which was due to a technical problem, it was over 4 hours late - I'm not in any doubt about claiming etc....I am a UK citizen and was resident in the UK at the time, but am now resident in the Netherlands......where I believe their statute of limitation is 2 years as opposed to our 6......

Would it still be worth throwing in a claim ?
  • ginger68_2
    Options
    Thanks for that - my parents are still in the UK so I'll pursue it via that route :)
  • ginger68_2
    ginger68_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2013 at 8:47AM
    Options
    As it was 3 years ago, have done some digging and while I have all the flight details, I obviously don't have a copy of my boarding pass, or a copy of the original e-ticket...in typical fashion I have a photo of the e-ticket but the reservation details are out of the shot ;-)

Am I out of luck ? :-)
  • ap1986
    ap1986 Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    ginger68 wrote: »
    As it was 3 years ago, have done some digging and while I have all the flight details, I obviously don't have a copy of my boarding pass, or a copy of the original e-ticket...in typical fashion I have a photo of the e-ticket but the reservation details are out of the shot ;-)

Am I out of luck ? :-)

I'd also be interested to know the answer to this... My flight was 2008 and don't have any booking reference or copy of flight/payment confirmation.

Air France tell me they only keep the PNR records and booking details for a year so don't have any record of me travelling with them back in 2008 - because of that, they're saying they won't take my claim any further. I half expect this to be some sort of delay tactic and I hope it is but what does happen if it's not?
    Weight Loss
    3lb Lost
    32lb To Go
    :xmassmile 8 Week Christmas Cracker SW Challenge :xmassmile
    3lb/12lb
  • avrrs
    Options
    Hi
    We flew to Tanzania recently by KLM/Delta/AF. Our return
    journey got disrupted because of Nairobi airport fire and
    after making several international calls to KLM (Amsterdam)
    from Tanzania, we were rerouted to Boston via Dar-E-Salaam,
    Muscat, Dubai, Paris, Boston. However, after reaching DAR
    (from Mwanza, our originating point) Muscat air denied boarding
    claiming KLM didn't confirm our tickets with them. There were
    no KLM agents at that time in the airport and flight departed
    without us boarding. KLM folks who showed up later in the
    evening called Amsterdam and booked our tickets for following
    day via ADD->DXB->CDG->BOS. At DXB and CDG we had over
    20 hrs of layover. With kids, it was pretty tiring and we decided
    to stay in a hotel at DXB.

I'd filed a complaint to KLM, Delta folks denied my request
    claiming it is an extraordinary event. In her own words,
    "Muscat air denying boarding is not a KLM problem". I can't
    believe KLM could issue a rerouted ticket and say that ticket
    may or may not work. I think I hit a wall with KLM. Where
    do I go from here? I live in USA.

Also, our original destination from Tanzania was Barcelona
    where we were supposed to spend 3 nights. We'd booked
    hotels and tickets to few attractions. All that money is gone
    now as they were non-refundable. Doesn't KLM have the
    obligation to book to the original destination. KLM representative is dodging that question in my email so far.

I would appreciate any help in getting the compensation
    for
    (a) hotels in Dar-E-Salaam, Dubai for unexpected extended
    stays.
    (b) International phone calls
    (c) Hotel and attraction charges we forfeited in Barcelona.

thank you
    avrrs
  • Catalina3
    Options
    I am starting this thread for those claiming flight delay or cancellation compensation from KLM/AF.

These 2 airlines operate jointly and customer service is based in a single office in the UK so responses for one poster are likely to be relevant for the other airline in the partnership.

Any posts regarding any other airline in this thread will be ignored (at least by me).
    Hi, my daughter flew Air France last year from London to Johannesburg and flight was cancelled when she arrived at airport. They said she could fly to Paris and they would accommodate her there, which she chose to do and then only left the next day at 11 a.m. and by that time she should have arrived in Johannesburg. She finally arrived at 11 p.m. that night, a full 13 hours later than expected. I complained to Air France and they offered her compensation in the form of an airline voucher - 150 GBP. Is this all she should have received? If not, and if they have already emailed the voucher, can I still apply for monetary compensation through the channels you mention?
    Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback