Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Peteireland83
    Peteireland83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 September 2016 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Hello Guys,

I flew this summer with easyjet and was delayed by more than 3 hours. I've applied through easyjets website for compensation and got the following reply:

"Having checked the details of your flight xxxx, I can confirm that the reason for your disruption was due to Technical Issues. This event is classified as non-extraordinary under EC Regulation 261/2004 and you will therefore be entitled to a compensation of 400 Euros per passenger.

In order to progress this matter we will need the consent from all passengers"

I have replied to the email saying I have the consent of all of the passengers (my wife and two children) and now I seem to be just getting ignored. I have emailed basically daily for the past 2.5 weeks, asking them what the next step is and have not received another response.

Should I be threatening legal action now or is there a telephone number I can call incase for example the person dealing with my query has left?

Thanks,
  • Pat_Gunning
    Options
    I have found calling them has various degrees of success. My wife uses Easy Jet twice a week commuting between Glasgow and Bristol. A couple of months ago her return flight was cancelled. Expenses incurred were submitted and they agreed to pay but no payment was received. On another occasion 4 booked flights were cancelled. Again they agreed to refund in full but only 2 of the flights were refunded. I sent an email to Customer Services but had no response.
    I submitted a claim to Money Claim Online for the two payments. They acknowledged the claim at the last moment giving them 28 days to respond. Yesterday they refunded the cost of the two flights but we are still waiting for the expenses.
    My advice, especially as they have agreed the claim, is to email them with a request for a response within 7 days with a threat of legal action if they do not. This will work. Easy Jet seem to work on the basis that if they ignore people they will go away - and many do because they can't be bothered. The extra cost of settling through court (£35.00 for Money Claim Online) for those bothering to take action is small compared to the savings made from those who can't be bothered.
    They were not voted the second worst airline in the world for nothing.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to give 14 days notice. And once you pay to issue the claim, the airline should refund you this.
  • James_Thomson
    Options
    Should I expect anything? A bottled water?

I'm sitting here and they literally won't say a word to us.:(
    - James
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EU261 duty of care covers refreshments...if not issued with anything, keep receipts and claim back
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easyjet thread please.And read Vauban's guide (google)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • James_Thomson
    Options
    Thanks all
    - James
  • Rookie1986
    Options
    Hi Guys,

This is going to be a fairly long post so bare with me :)

Back at the end of June we had a flight delayed due to industrial action in France (we were in Spain at the time). Our delay was for 3 days and upon our return to the UK we submitted our receipts to reclaim our additional expenses... unfortunately this seems to have become a long draw out process and has resulted in what should have been a very simple case becoming much more than it was.

I don't know how to attach our letters to this thread (maybe I can't) so I've pasted them below:

Initial Letter to EasyJet - 04/07/2016
    Dear easyJet Customer Services,

I am writing as advised by Which Consumer Support to request a full reimbursement of the expenses incurred due to flight EZ being cancelled and our delayed return home to the UK from Barcelona between 23/6/2016 and 26/6/2016.

We arrived at the airport at 6pm local time for the 21:25pm flight home only to find on arrival that the departure board showed our flight had been cancelled. Bearing in mind that no one from easyJet had made us aware that there was a possible problem with our return flight by email, text message or telephone call we were still confident that easyJet would be able to sort out this problem and look after their passenger’s. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case and what was supposed to be an enjoyable milestone birthday trip away soon turned in to a holiday nightmare.
    We approached the easyJet service desk but the female staff present was unable to understand our questions, looking puzzled at what we were asking namely what do we do now? Frankly an easy question to answer but for which she had no answer and found speaking in English difficult. We then asked politely to speak with the manager as there was no point becoming irate when the situation was looking somewhat desperate as it was, along came the manager with what can only be described as a cold and unhelpful attitude. I asked the manager what the problem with our flight was, explaining that we had only flown a handful of times before and this was the first time we had experienced a cancelled flight. His reply to our enquiry was “Its not my problem, you are on your own, there is an App you can download” and then walked away, closing the door behind him leaving us standing there looking dumbfounded.
    Left with no support and very little information we were at a loss as how to continue. Fortunately, as time passed further passengers began to arrive for the cancelled flight they also had not been contacted regarding this cancellation and things becoming somewhat tense the lady at the easyJet desk offered to refund our flight money, this being of no use to us as we did not have sufficient means to rebook another flight, we informed her of this making her aware that we needed to be back to the UK ASAP as I’m sure other passengers did also. Unfortunately, all she was able to do was book us on a return flight back to the UK on the Sunday night, three days after our original return date which meant I had missed my planned 30th Birthday party, Heather had to arrange cover and take unpaid leave from work (plus several other obligations) this aside we were not offered the regulatory two free telephone calls or any food and drink, we were simply given the flight tickets for our new flight and the hotel name and then left to get our own way to said hotel.
    On arrival at the hotel the staff were very helpful and advised we request receipts for every purchase while we waited for our next flight date, including food, drinks, taxi fairs etc, compiling them ready for submitting to yourselves on our return home for a full refund of the additional expenses incurred. Now stranded in a hotel passed the original date we were due to return home, the hotel room can only be described as adequate not what you would expect if you intended it to be your holiday hotel but as it was only a means to an end we had to make do. I would like to say the mould in the bathroom and damp smell throughout the room left a lot to be desired (please see photograph included), we also had to resort to washing our already worn underwear and garments in the hotel bathroom sink as we simply had nothing else left to wear, which is most definitely not what someone wants to be having to resort to.
    We took a taxi into Barcelona to exchange more British pounds into Euros which was at a shocking exchange rate due to the EU referendum in England, a cost we would not have needed to incur had our flight not been cancelled, or had we been pre-warned by easyJet that our flight was going to be cancelled so we could have taken action and converted the day previous, as well as to collect a small selection of personal items and medication.
    Additional to this, on the day we were due to check out (12:00) we asked the hotel to contact easyJet to see if an extension on the room could be made since it was almost 10 hours between checkout and our flight, unfortunately we were denied this and left with nothing more than the hotel lobby area to await our flight.
    I would just like to take this opportunity to say how disappointed we are that we chose easyJet for our flights, the service we received when first booking the flights was lovely but once things went wrong there was a sad lack of communication and empathy with the situation we found our selves in, we feel you could have done so much more to assist us through all of this rather then us just being left with a feeling of abandonment. We understand that the initial cancellation was due to something beyond easyJet’s control but no contingency measures were put in place and the way in which the events there after were dealt with caused us both undue anxiety and stress with no one to turn to for support or assistance.
    We appreciate you taking the time to read our letter of complaint and we look forward to hearing from you in regards to refunding the expenses which were incurred along with a goodwill gesture due to this cancellation and the poor service received from yourselves on the whole leading to the additional inconvenience of this entire situation.

Awaiting your prompt reply within the next 7 days,

Best regards

EasyJet Response - 13/07/2016
    Thank you for your letter to easyJet.
    I'm sorry to hear your flight EZ on 23/06/2016 was cancelled due to a French Air Traffic Control strike. I understand your reasons to be unhappy with the fact that you were stuck for 3 days.
    I can appreciate that you were unable to pay out extra expenses to travel with an alternative carrier and therefore had to wait 3 days for flight EZ on 26/06/2016. I understand that you were not satisfied with the hotel and mainly because you had to leave the room 10 hours before your transferred flight. This is not the experience we wish for our passengers. Please accept our sincere apologies for how poorly you feel the situation was handled.
    I do apologise that you were not given your phone calls or light refreshment vouchers. They usually give out vouchers when there is a delay. With a cancellation we are liable to pay for food receipts for each disrupted day. I have checked and phone calls are upon request. I understand that you would not have known this. In regards to Heather's loss of earnings. I understand how incredibly inconvenient it would have been for you both. Unfortunately easyJet are unable to cover loss of earnings. I hope you can appreciate this.
    In regards to when you found out your flight was cancelled and then asked to speak to a manager to find out more information. If the airport manager really said that in those words, then it is really not acceptable to treat people this way and give no support when asked. I'm very sorry that you had to deal with being left with no support in such a rude and disrespectful manner. I hope you have both recovered from this unfortunate incident. I will pass on your feedback to our Ground Handling Manager at Barcelona airport. Your feedback is always appreciated so we can improve our services in the future.
    Could you please do me a huge favour and explain each receipt by saying amount and what it's for. It would be very much appreciated. If it's a taxi please tell me where it's going so I know which ones are which. I'm a little confused on some of the receipts. The one for 21.30 EUR looks like toiletries which are not covered unfortunately. The one saying 57.00 EUR is not a valid receipt but if you can send in anything else by email or contact the company for another one, I'm happy to check that receipt. We need scanned copies of valid itemised receipts please. I'm sorry to say that we only cover the taxis from the airport to the hotel and back, we don't cover additional taxis. Also we can cover food minus alcohol and hotel costs for the 3 nights stay.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Your case no.
    Regards

easyJet Customer Services

After this communication became entirely one sided:

Letter 2 - 20/07/2016
    Dear ,
    Many thanks for your reply to our recent letter regarding flight EZ with yourselves, we appreciate your apology regarding the disruption and rude behaviour of the manager with a lack of organisation by the staff on behalf of the company. Unfortunately, this in no way can make up for the days lost while waiting for easyJet to return us home. Cancelations are obviously not a rare occasion and as one of Europe's leading airlines we feel it could have been handled much better, all we wish for now is a swift conclusion to this entire ordeal and we have enclosed a summary of each receipt's purchases itemised as requested to the best of our knowledge.
    I am dismayed that the taxi fare into the city centre the following day after the flight cancelation can not be reimbursed, what where we meant to do in a hotel room without the basic toiletries? Baring in mind that the hotel did not sell or provide these items and as you can see from the receipt we only bought the basic essentials as we did with all food purchased from the moment of the cancelation. The 57 Euro receipt was the taxi fare from the hotel to the airport for the return home flight (which you detail as covered by yourselves in such situations) on 26.06.16. I am afraid that this was the only receipt given to us and would be obliged if you could inform us how we are supposed to be able to contact this taxi company now? It was your staff who put us up in a hotel miles away form the city centre and the hotel staff sorted out our taxi for us. Obtaining receipts was very difficult as the taxi drivers were very reluctant to provide these and the receptionist from the hotel had to assist us in speaking to the driver on our behalf for us to be able obtain the receipts which we have as I said in my previous letter, it has been a nightmare experience from the moment of arriving at the airport to find our flight was cancelled (without any prior notice) and we would appreciate you taking this into account when reimbursing our costs and considering a goodwill gesture.
    Please find attached receipts itemised and annotated as requested: -
    Day one: 23.06.2016
    • Taxi Faire to the hotel from the airport on the night the flight was cancelled
    • Food on the evening the flight was cancelled when we reached our hotel Drinking water in hotel room
    Day two: 24.06.2016
    • Taxi to Barcelona centre
    • Minimal toiletries and medication
    • Exchanging of E to Euro's
    • Food and drinks receipt
    • Taxi back to hotel
    • Food and drinks at hotel
    Day three: 25.06.2016
    Day four: 26.06.2016
    • Drinks at hotel
    • Taxi back to the airport for our flight home
    • Food and drinks on easyJet flight
    Additional to the receipts we would also like to discuss the following areas which seem to have been neglected from your correspondence to our initial letter, these are as follows:
    • Taxi fare incurred traveling to the airport for the cancelled flight, to which no notification was provided by yourselves.
    • Condition of the hotel room and its facilities (mould in bathroom, damp smell). Having to further exchange money to cover the basics of eating and drinking at our own loss.
    • A goodwill gesture for the inconvenience experienced (poor staff support, lack of communication from easyJet and anguish caused throughout the whole experience).
    We would appreciate a timely conclusion to the matters we have discussed in this letter and eagerly wait for your reply.
    Regards

We received no response to this letter so wrote to EasyJet again:

Letter 3 - 16/08/2016
    Dear ,

We wrote back to yourself in response to your last correspondence on the 20th July, unfortunately it has since been 28 days (18 working days) and we are still anticipating any form of reply from yourself or the EasyJet Customer Services team. We understand that the summer holidays are a busy time for all airlines but this is simply not acceptable. Please can our case (# ) be looked at as a matter of urgency addressing all areas outlined in our last response to yourself (included in this letter)?

We eagerly await your response so this matter can be drawn to a close and a final resolution reached.

Regards,

Again this seemed to land on deaf ears and we received no further response.

Letter 4 - 02/09/2016
    Dear ,

It has been over two months now and we are still anticipating any form of reply from yourself or the EasyJet Customer Services team. We understand that the summer holidays are a busy time for all airlines but this is simply not acceptable. Please can our case (# ) be looked at as a matter of urgency addressing all areas outlined in our last response to yourself (included in this email)?

We eagerly await your response so this matter can be drawn to a close and a final resolution reached.

Regards,

Again this went ignored, by this point we felt that we had no choice but to escalate the situation.

Letter 5 - 19/09/2016
    Dear Dame Carolyn Julia McCall

I am writing to you this evening in hope that you are able to provide assistance with our on-going case (ID #: ). The case was first brought about due to a cancelled flight (EZ) back in June this year (23/06/2016), this resulted in an extended delay until the 26/06/2016 as no other flights or means to get home were made available to us (please see attached letters which outline and detail our plight).

Upon returning to the UK we wrote a letter to easyJet head office (04/07/2016), to which we received an email response on the 13/07/2016. Since then we have sent several written letters (please see attached) along with several emails but unfortunately these now seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

It has now been over 12 weeks since the initial incident occurred and we are still awaiting answers to our questions or a resolution to our complaint.

I eagerly await your response so we can finally have a resolution to this long overdrawn case.

Thank you for your time, best regards.

Fortunately we have since received a reply to our last letter.

EasyJet Response 2 - 23/09/2016
    Dear ,

Thank you for taking the time to email Carolyn, she has asked me to reply on her behalf.

I am very sorry to hear that your flight on 23rd June 2016 was cancelled. We at easyJet always try to adhere to our schedules as much as possible, but in certain instances, delays and cancellations are unavoidable. Rest assured disrupting a flight is always done as a last resort as we understand the impact this on our customers.

It is also disappointing to hear of the delay you have experienced in resolving your claim as well as the bad service you have received. Your concerns have been sent to Airport Management at Barcelona to ensure that in future, we always have our customers needs seen to and better accommodation is sourced. In regards to your additional expenses, I can confirm the following:
    •We are unable to reimburse the 35.00 EUR taxi, 20.00 EUR taxi as there is no specific routing.
    •We are unable to reimburse the 57.00 EUR as this was not used to and from the airport.

Please reply to my email with your mailing name and postal address. Once received I will forward your meal claim of 247.61 GBP as well as taxi claim of 84.00 GBP to our Finance Department for assessment.

To ensure that your emails come directly to me, I have created case #. Please quote this case number in all future correspondence regarding this matter.

I hope to hear from you soon.
    Kind regards,

Executive Support

Hopefully you guys are still with me by this point and I apologise for the lengthy post. Anyway, we feel that EasyJet have still decided to skirt the issues outlined in our previous correspondence, ignored several areas completely and are trying their hardest to avoid paying out the actual amount of total expenses...

I'm hoping to write a response to the Executive Support team over the weekend so it can be read and reviewed on Monday. I guess this is where you lot come in, as you have far batter knowledge with this than me and are also able to word things more appropriately to encourage the right solution.

If you need any additional information please don't hesitate to ask,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope you guys are able to help :)

Kind regards,
    Rookie
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    You're making this difficult with all the superfluous information. All you needed to state was
    please reimburse the following expenses for the delay of flight EZ***:

list of expenses

receipts are attached

I'm not sure why you needed toiletries when you would have already had them? If these were in addition you need to briefly explain why.

You cannot claim for the original taxi to the airport in addition the one for the rearranged flight. You would need to have made the journey at your own expense for one of the flights.

Which other expenses are they refusing?

Please answer briefly!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport