Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    After many months I got a reply from easyjet for a claim dating back to 2010.

The say it's not valid as it was caused "due to slot delays as a result of a French Air Traffic Control strike".

Is there any way I can check there was a strike on this day? Would it matter that I was flying Mallorca->London?
  • purky04
    Options
    Hi

I received an email from Easyjet, less than 48 hours before my flight was due to depart Nice to Rome, informing us that both our outbound and return flights have been cancelled. I had received an email on 26/06/2015 saying my flight might arrive in Rome Ciampino due to a fire that occurred on the 7th May, however nothing about the possibility of cancellation. We have also been able to check in for both flights leading us to falsely believe our journey was ok. We were not in the UK as Rome was an onward section of our holiday and have hence already booked and paid for our hotels as well as for the parking at Nice airport where we planned to leave the car. Easyjet has offered a refund or free transfer to another flight but upon research there are no other available flights from a local airport with Easyjet or another airline to Rome on the days we are travelling - due to less than 48 hours til departure! I find it difficult to comprehend how an airline did not know that this issue could have arisen prior to this - the fire occurred over 2 months ago - how can travellers have not been warned of this or advised sooner or even perhaps before booking!! We have paid £800 in accommodation as well as parking that relies on EasyJet getting us to Rome. We have called and stated the report said the airport cancelled it on the 17th, but my booking was cancelled on the 15th and it said to be the airports fault? We have taken the refund but still believe we are owed compensation for time and stress and fuel, as we have now driven to Rome as no other travel was available within 2 days of travel!! Do we have a case for compensation or claims off the insurance for the extra costs?

Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the cancellation was under the instruction of the airport/ATC then there will be no compensation from the airline as this would have been out of their control.
    Probably worth contacting your travel insurance to see what out of pocket costs they will cover
    There seems to have been ongoing problems at FCO following the fire. I believe it was expected that everything should have returned to 100% by now but the updates on the airlines websites keep being updated to reflect that there are still disruptions
    eg from the BA website - As a result of the serious fire within Rome Fiumicino Airport's Terminal 3 in early May, we continue to experience some disruption to our services to and from Rome.
    Consequently, the airport authorities require British Airways and other airlines to reduce the number of flights they operate there.
  • Locke
    Locke Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got a postal address for Easyjet?

I've sent them an email over three weeks ago but apart from the confirmation email I haven't heard a thing from them.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2015 at 10:42AM
    Options
    it is interesting that this Rome airport issue has only arisen on the easyjet thread, yet dozens of other arilines use that terminal.
    I believe that EJ have been somewhat cavalier in their attititude to this problem compared to toher airlines, taking the line that its not their problem and sod the passengers affected by it.
    I beleive there is still a case to answer here under reg 261/2004, remember there is a second hurdle that airlines must jump and clear in the Wallentin case (?), that being - rerouting and/or minimising the delay/cancellation by all means necessary upto intolerable sacrafice. Clearly EJ and others have not adopted this stance, having known from 7th May that there would be issues at Rome, they have taken few, if any, measures to mitigate the incident and its affects.
    I believe you have a case and should proceed with a compensation claim under reg 261/2004.
    Unfortunately, due to Huzar, the "second hurdle" has rarely, if at all, been tested in court...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Mdc
    Mdc Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Dear all,
    I haven't read all of the threads here because there are many pages but id like advice on something. I booked a return flight to Alicante going out from southend airport 8th April and returning the following day Thursday 9th April. I often pop out to see my parents but on this occasion i could only see them for one night as i had an important appointment on the Friday.
    Parents live in the middle of nowhere with no internet. There was a French ATC strike and my thursday flight was cancelled. I found that out when i reached the airport to check in. I told them that i had to return as soon as possible. Everyone and his dog had booked onto the next available flights and the earliest i could get back into the country was on the following monday, and that was into Bradford. If i was to get back to Southend then I could get back the following Thursday. This was not an option, I was really stuck. I was told to go elsewhere and check for flights. Iberia told me that in order to get back on Friday, i needed to buy a business class ticket. I happily accepted going to lhr, even though my car was in Southend!

I paid 600 euros and was promptly told that it would me going via madrid. And so easyjet offered to accommodate me. I declined and went back to my parents place. They took me back to the airport the next day very early and I got back to the country eventually.

I received an email which stated that they would refund my cancelled return flight which they did immediately and then they said that they would pay for the replacement flight also. Given the circumstances, having an urgent appointment (which i ended up cancelling because i was late) and not claiming any food or accommodation, i think it only fair that easyjet compensate me partially for my business flight ticket. They would have had to put me up in the hotel for up to 7 days had i gone back with them.
    Im hearing that people are getting compensation for just delayed flights from years ago. Ive pleaded with easyjet 3 times since, asking for an update but they haven't answered my requests. I merely had automated responses telling me that my email has been escalated.

What would i be entitled to claim back. I urgently want a response from them now and they're hoping I've gone away and forgotten the £500 i paid for my flight home to a different destination.

Apologies for the waffle!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just heard that easyJet have agreed to settle my claim - three days before it was due in court.

They had claimed bad weather was an 'extraordinary circumstance'. Unfortunately for them, it didn't affect my flight but one much earlier that day, and it was having to wait for a replacement crew that actually caused the delay.
  • batches66
    batches66 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I wonder if you can help me.

I recently booked a surprise trip to Rome for my Husband and I (for our 1st wedding anniversary and both our birthdays). Booked flights with Easyjet and hotel with Agoda (unrefundable).

2 days before going ( flight 10th July) - text/email from Easyjet to say our flight was cancelled. We got online and looked for other flights that day - none or the next day. We could only get a flight (free of charge to change) the day before going to the other Rome airport. So we booked this to make sure we could get there. I spoke Easyjet Customer Services, who said to send in the hotel receipt once we returned to see if I could get it back as we now only had that choice of going.

During the short break, I received a text again (2 days before coming home) that our return flight was also cancelled. Not having a good internet signal in our hotel and only being able to use our phones, I spent nearly 2 hours trying to contact Easyjet!! We could not get a flight home on the day in question at all. We eventually managed to book a flight home with a different carrier.

On arrival back home - I sent the receipts to Easy jet. having had to pay for an extra night hotel & city tax and the extra flight home, plus the credit card transaction fees.

I have just received email saying they will only pay the the flight. Will not pay hotel, city tax or card fees.

I will be out of pocket by around £170 which is not my fault at all.
    I cannot afford that on top of my holiday price.

Can I get this money back from Easyjet or can I claim it back off my holiday insurance.

Have been disgusted with the lack of communication/help I have had from them and it has put a horrible memory onto what was supposed to be a great time away celebrating.

Thanks to anyone who can answer - sorry it's long-winded
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback