Options
    Hello,

Details:

- Flight FR1162. London Stansted -> Belfast International

- Took off on time 09:40

- Due to land at Belfast International at 11:05

- Arrived to Ireland but couldn't land due to high winds

- Forced to land at Liverpool at 11:45

- Stayed in plane, grounded at Liverpool. No access to terminal bulding allowed.

- Plane stayed here until 17:40 (5 hours, 55'ish minutes)

- No free refreshments, or meal vouchers were provided (but purchases were allowed)

- Plane landed at Belfast International at 18:16 (7 hours, 11 minutes overdue)

Is there a valid case here under EU261? If so, do you have any advice about pursuing?

Thanks.
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    No claim under the regulations but if you were kept on the aircraft against your will for nearly 6 hours this might constitute false imprisonment. I can't think of any reason to keep you cooped up in the aircraft for so long especially as you were on an internal flight. The only excuse might be if there was a possibility of a very short stop.
    I can only compare my own experience on an internal flight in Cuba 20 years ago. Our flight was diverted to another airport in Cuba because of a storm at our destination. After landing, we went into the transit area of the airport for about an hour until the storm had cleared.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi TemmyTenjin,

That is appalling, during the delay, at the very least, you should have been offered snacks and drinks as a part of their 'duty of care' obligations. If anyone was forced (by not being offered FOC) to purchase anything while trapped in that possibly illegal situation you should reclaim those costs from the airline.

I would also write to the CAA about the ridiculous way you were treated and also send a slightly amended version of it to Simon Calder at the Telegraph. This would be to bring further attention to the way the airline abuses passengers legal and human rights.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • TemmyTemjin
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi TemmyTenjin,

That is appalling, during the delay, at the very least, you should have been offered snacks and drinks as a part of their 'duty of care' obligations. If anyone was forced (by not being offered FOC) to purchase anything while trapped in that possibly illegal situation you should reclaim those costs from the airline.

I would also write to the CAA about the ridiculous way you were treated and also send a slightly amended version of it to Simon Calder at the Telegraph. This would be to bring further attention to the way the airline abuses passengers legal and human rights.

Good luck.

At the moment, I'm waiting until I can obtain the electronic receipts of purchases made on the plane. It seems Ryanair's policy is to not give physical receipts at the time, but make you obtain them online....a system which so far is claiming 'no purchases found'.

The cynic in me might believe Ryanair are very happy to make it harder for customers to obtain proof of purchase.
  • Romaness
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    You need to download Vaubans most excellent. Once read you will see that RA are bull !!!!!!!! you. You will now need to send on NBA before starting the ESCP process to go to court.

Evening all,

Sorry to dredge up my question/issue from months ago, but it's still ongoing and (as ever) I still need guidance...!

My problem, briefly summarised, was that

-- my Ryanair flight was delayed by over five hours (until a slot close to midnight)
    -- an arrival time of well after 1 am would have meant a difficult, expensive and potentially dangerous journey home; more importantly, I had next-day commitments and needed to get back at a reasonable time in order to prepare
    -- I had to book a rerouting flight via another company, the only one available at that time (£350)
    -- at some point during my flight ( I only checked my texts upon arrival), the original Ryanair flight was cancelled, meaning that, had I waited for the new departure time, I would have been stranded at the airport until morning
    -- upon complaint via the Resolver feature, Ryanair offered (and immediately issued) a refund for my original flight, claiming I "chose not to fly" and therefore had no claim under EU261.
    -- the quote above, by JPears, was the last reaction I got from the board before summer.

And that's why I'm here again now -- I am ready, as I was then, to take this issue to small claims court; I didn't want to start proceeding right before August, but am now ready to do so.

My question now is: what am I legally entitled to claim for under these circumstances?
    -- my initial, and main, goal was to obtain compensation for the £350 I spent on the reroute.I wasn't particularly fussed about the fixed €200+ compensation, because I didn't, in fact, travel (or attempt to travel) on the delayed flight.
    -- Ryanair's justification that I'm not owed compensation because "I chose not to travel" and that the delayed flight was ultimately unable to depart because "of the airport closure, completely beyond the airline's power", really gets up my nose, though. 1) I had to travel, and luckily I made other arrangements, otherwise I'd have spent the night at the airport; 2) the airport's closure may well have been beyond the airline's power, but I doubt it would have been an issue if the flight hadn't been delayed by five hours.

Since small claims court does seem to be the only way of resolving this situation (surreally), I just want to make sure I am exact in my claim.
    -- Ryanair issued a €75 refund on my original flight. Whilst this was done without my approval or acceptance, it was issued, so I'd be willing to deduct that from any compensation. Is this a correct/reasonable approach?
    -- What compensation do I claim for, though? What I want is a reimbursement for my reroute ticket; would I be able to claim for the delay in addition to that? Or is it more realistic (and fair) to stick to a reimbursement claim?
  • ExtraJazz
    Options
    Hi everyone! Any tips on how to get Ryanair to actually pay out after they've promised to do so?

- Had a flight cancelled earlier in the year, leading to a 2-day delay.
    - Submitted EU261 compensation form on their website.
    - Received written confirmation from Ryanair on 18/07/2018 that we'd be paid £443.03 within 14 days.
    - 1 month later, hadn't received anything.
    - Went through their Customer Service live chat, who were apparently unable to look into it at all and only told me to fill out a complaint form. Which I did.
    - Received a written reply 2 weeks later, on 30/08/2018, only saying that 'a transfer had been issued' and to wait a bit more.
    - Now, over 2 months after their initial confirmation, I still haven't received any money.

When I contact them again, what are the magic words that I need to use to actually make them pay? Rather then just tell me again that they can't look into my case directly and that I should fill out another complaint form, wait another 2 weeks, just to be told again that the money is on its way... How to break the cycle?
  • Tyzap
    Options
    ExtraJazz wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Any tips on how to get Ryanair to actually pay out after they've promised to do so?

- Had a flight cancelled earlier in the year, leading to a 2-day delay.
    - Submitted EU261 compensation form on their website.
    - Received written confirmation from Ryanair on 18/07/2018 that we'd be paid £443.03 within 14 days.
    - 1 month later, hadn't received anything.
    - Went through their Customer Service live chat, who were apparently unable to look into it at all and only told me to fill out a complaint form. Which I did.
    - Received a written reply 2 weeks later, on 30/08/2018, only saying that 'a transfer had been issued' and to wait a bit more.
    - Now, over 2 months after their initial confirmation, I still haven't received any money.

When I contact them again, what are the magic words that I need to use to actually make them pay? Rather then just tell me again that they can't look into my case directly and that I should fill out another complaint form, wait another 2 weeks, just to be told again that the money is on its way... How to break the cycle?

Hi,

They need a big reminder so read Dr Watsons great guide, just go to post 569 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ryanair have put two finger up to CAA regarding up coming cancellations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45657200
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Tyzap
    edited 27 September 2018 at 9:54AM
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Ryanair have put two finger up to CAA regarding up coming cancellations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45657200

That will mean locking horns with the CAA, again.

I have no doubt at all that their refusal to pay compensation for strikes within their own business is a breech of regulation.

If they got their own 'house in order' they wouldn't have been having these problems.

It's now up to the regulators to make public their view and do what it says on the can, REGULATE!

This is a statement from the CAA issued in July...

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-statement-on-passenger-compensation-during-the-current-Ryanair-strike/?catid=4294967496
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback