Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• pocketslint
    Options
    Update;

Following on from my previous posts with regards to my claim. The equivalent of Eur 250 was paid into my account today. I have never had a problem with RA although I do appreciate that there are those that have. Is there an airline out there that doesn't falter at times?

ps Thanks for being here guys, your help is invaluable and greatly appreciated yet again.
  • tufty1909
    Options
    Hi,
    In July this year we had a 2 week family holiday flying out of Stanstead to Bari on the 14th and returning Bari to Stanstead on the 28th.

At 1500 hrs on the 28th Ryanair cancelled our flight and sent us a text to inform us of the cancellation, we then proceeded to Bari airport, Ryanair staff were reorganising several flights, we waited for two hours and were offered a flight to Rome and told we were on our own following that flight and a night in a hotel at their expense. we then booked a scheduled flight from rome via milan to London City At a total cost to us of £2,300. There were no direct low cost flights back to the uk at all.

on my return I put in a claim for the out of pocket costs and compensation through Resolver; I have had replies from Ryanair, but they are all stalling, and they are missing their own deadlines.

we didn't request a refund as we were given a flight, but not all the way home!

questions are:

1. Do Ryanair legally have to recompense my out of pocket costs or are these costs recoverable under insurance?
    2. Are we eligible for compensation through the scheme; bearing in mind this was the weekend that Stanstead airport was shutdown due to weather issues I believe?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sounds strange that they offered a Bari to Rome flight as a replacement for a Bari to Stansted (not sure I would have accepted that as an alternative)
    If the cancellation was due to the Stansted issue then there would be no EU261 compensation. Have you spoken to your travel insurance re the costs (I suspect you may have a long battle to get refunded by Ryanair so insurance probably the best way to go)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. Almost certainly, especially if RA left you to it after Rome.
    Reg. 261/2004 puts the onus on the airline to get you back to the original aiport on your flight.
    2. If it was genuinely down to the Stanstead airpoprt issue, then possibly not.
    If you are getting no joy out of RA for all the additional expenses you incurred, it is now time to take the matter into your hands.
    Read up Dr Watson's excellent notes on safely taking RA through the ESCP legal process. I think you can find a link in Vauban's guide.
    I suspect the good Dr will be along shortly to open his surgery and issue a prescription.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • alfa145
    alfa145 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could help me:
    Flights booked from UK from Malaga to Barcelona, due to depart on Friday 28th September in July 2018
    Email was sent on Tuesday 25 September notifying cancellation 3 days before flight, but was only read on Thursday 26th morning.

Website slow / unusable, mobile app the same, webchat would not connect, attempted to call customer services but was on hold for 30 minutes (at my cost), then call was just dropped.

Booked alternative flights at a considerable cost (~£400 for 2 travellers) with Vueling airlines.

Upon return to the UK I filled in the compensation form for Ryanair, which was rejected:
    We sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR6387 from Malaga to Barcelona El Prat on the 28/09/2018, which was caused by an unnecessary industrial action taken by crew and was outside of our control.

Ryanair have made all reasonable attempts to avoid this strike and we always take all the reasonable measures to minimise the disruption.

Providing our passengers with a punctual and reliable service is one of our principal aims. However, it is inevitable that there will be occasions when we are unable to operate our flights as scheduled due to extraordinary circumstances that are beyond our control.

We regret to advise you that in this situation we do not consider that any compensation is payable under Regulation EU261.

They referred to the Aviation ADR scheme - I lodged through that, but as the flight did not leave or depart from the UK they said they cannot process the claim.

What would be my next best step to attempt to recover the additional cost of the alternative flights, phone calls, time spent, etc?

Thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alfa145 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone could help me:
    Flights booked from UK from Malaga to Barcelona, due to depart on Friday 28th September in July 2018
    Email was sent on Tuesday 25 September notifying cancellation 3 days before flight, but was only read on Thursday 26th morning.

Website slow / unusable, mobile app the same, webchat would not connect, attempted to call customer services but was on hold for 30 minutes (at my cost), then call was just dropped.

Booked alternative flights at a considerable cost (~£400 for 2 travellers) with Vueling airlines.

Upon return to the UK I filled in the compensation form for Ryanair, which was rejected:

They referred to the Aviation ADR scheme - I lodged through that, but as the flight did not leave or depart from the UK they said they cannot process the claim.

What would be my next best step to attempt to recover the additional cost of the alternative flights, phone calls, time spent, etc?

Thanks

Hi alfa145,

You will probably have to go down the ESCP route, see Dr Watsons great guide for details...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64457359&postcount=622

The CAA have clearly stated that RA should pay costs and compensation under these circumstances but you will have to DIY with Dr Watsons help.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • alfa145
    edited 4 October 2018 at 1:02PM
    Options
    Thanks, very useful guide. Do I need to start at the LBA stage 1 if I have already completed the online reimbursement and failed?

Should I be claiming for just compensation which will just about cover the additional expenses minus the original flight cost, or for expenses and compensation?

Thanks

Edit: this template letter? http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/attachment/flightdelaytemplateletter.rtf

Edit: Google found Vauban's guide - should learn to read!
  • JPears
    Options
    alfa.
    You should be claiming:
    1. Compensation under regulation 261/2004. Amount dependent of journey length and type. Yours is probably Euro250 per person.
    2. Your additional re-routing costs as Ryanair failed to re-route you.
    There maybe 2 separate online claim forms with Ryanair.
    Have you claimed a refund? If not, don't.
    Did Ryanair unilaterally refund you?

There would appear to no excuse for RA not to pay. As Tyzap has mentioned, the CAA have stated clearly that internal RA strikes are NOT a valid EC, despite RA's protestations and unlawful stance.
    Send a final claim marking it as an NBA or LBA (same thing) with 14 days notice.
    In the meantime, read, re-read Vauban's excellent guide and Dr Watson's notes on the ESCP process.

• alfa145
    Options
    Thanks
    I did the online form for both expenses and compensation, but only the compensation was mentioned in the reply.
    I didn't claim a refund, but in the rejection letter it stated that a refund as been processed. So I presume I will just deduct this from the total expenses claim amount.

Where can I find Vauban's guide?

Thanks
  • JPears
    Options
    google is your friend. This is a valuable guide full of essential information you will require. I believe there is a link to Dr Watson's notes.
    There can be a problem if you apply for a refund as potentially the airline can wash their hands of you.
    If they unilaterally refunded it, then in your next communication state that you do not accept the refund.
    I believe RA are member of an ADR, perhaps try this first? It doesn't prevent you going legal later.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport