Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2017 at 8:35PM
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Ryanair gave us less than 24 hours notice of cancelling our flight from Leeds Bradford to Pisa scheduled for 2nd October.

They claim that there were 21 cancellations on this day due to a handlers strike in Pisa. However, the strike was a 4 hour one from 12.00 to 16.00 and Ryanair cancelled many flights, including ours, outside of this window.

Specifically, the PSA-LBR flight had a scheduled departure time from Pisa of 11.30.
    Our LBR-PSA flight had a scheduled arrival time at Pisa of 16.55.

I note that Ryanair cancelled 8 flights from Pisa before 12.00 yet had a flight departing Pisa for Alghero at 12.10 which they did not cancel. No other airlines cancelled any flights scheduled to depart Pisa before 12.00.

Ryanair was the only airline to cancel flights scheduled to arrive Pisa after 16.00 with 9 cancellation Their first non-cancelled flight after this time was scheduled to arrive at 20.55.

Perversely, Ryanair had some flights atill operating within the 12.00 to 16.00 window.

It would appear that Ryanair took the opportunity to cancel flights for some other operational reason and use the strike as an excuse.

I have launched a claim through Resolver for compensation which I expect Ryanair to reject but will escalate to try and establish what actually happened.

The really annoying thing is that the strike was announced on the Italian Dept. of Transportation site on 15th September and on the Pisa airport site on 27th September. I could not cancel our flights without losing my money yet Ryanair left it until the evening before departure (after we had finished packing) to let us know they were cancelling. This also meant I had to lose my car hire payment as they required 48 hours notice for free cancellations.

Hi CliveP,

I have no doubt that they will reject your claim, and without their goodwill there is not much you can do about it using Resolver.

I suggest that you look into starting legal proceeding against them, you can do that by reading Dr Watsons very comprehensive guide, just go to post 569 on this thread to read how to sue them safely.

Given RA's continuing situation, this seems to be their latest way of saving money, just cancel lots of flights at the drop of a strike. They have jumped onto the fact that some strikes can be considered as an escape from paying compensation as they are included in the NEB list of Extraordinary Circumstances. This is justified at times, but not as a blanket compensation escape clause, whilst at the same time, attempting to undermine the EC261 regulations and the protection it offers to passengers.

I believe that, just as you have described, their reasoning makes no sense and becomes contradictory when they continue to put some flights on during the strike. They cannot have it both ways.

Furthermore, the regulations make a point of suggesting that the airline must do all in it's power not to inconvenience passengers, up to the point of intolerable sacrifice. This is (part of) the relevant wording...

As derogation from the normal rule, i.e.: the payment of compensation, which reflects the objective of consumer protection, it must be interpreted strictly46. Therefore all the extraordinary circumstances which surround an event such as those listed in Recital 14 are not necessarily grounds for an exemption from the obligation to pay compensation, but require a case-by-case assessment47.

You can find the above quote in this document...

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/themes/passengers/news/doc/2016-06-10-better-enforcement-pax-rights/c%282016%293502_en.pdf

Most of the second half of this document makes very interesting reading with regards to EC's.

I believe that you would have a reasonable chance of succeeding, but you would have to dedicate yourself to the task, in terms of both time and effort.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi CliveP,

I have no doubt that they will reject your claim, and without their goodwill there is not much you can do about it using Resolver.

I suggest that you look into starting legal proceeding against them, you can do that by reading Dr Watsons very comprehensive guide, just go to post 569 on this thread to read how to sue them safely.

Given RA's continuing situation, this seems to be their latest way of saving money, just cancel lots of flights at the drop of a strike. They have jumped onto the fact that some strikes can be considered as an escape from paying compensation as they are included in the NEB list of Extraordinary Circumstances. This is justified at times, but not as a blanket compensation escape clause, whilst at the same time, attempting to undermine the EC261 regulations and the protection it offers to passengers.

I believe that, just as you have described, their reasoning makes no sense and becomes contradictory when they continue to put some flights on during the strike. They cannot have it both ways.

Furthermore, the regulations make a point of suggesting that the airline must do all in it's power not to inconvenience passengers, up to the point of intolerable sacrifice. This is (part of) the relevant wording...

As derogation from the normal rule, i.e.: the payment of compensation, which reflects the objective of consumer protection, it must be interpreted strictly46. Therefore all the extraordinary circumstances which surround an event such as those listed in Recital 14 are not necessarily grounds for an exemption from the obligation to pay compensation, but require a case-by-case assessment47.

You can find the above quote in this document...

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/themes/passengers/news/doc/2016-06-10-better-enforcement-pax-rights/c%282016%293502_en.pdf

Most of the second half of this document makes very interesting reading with regards to EC's.

I believe that you would have a reasonable chance of succeeding, but you would have to dedicate yourself to the task, in terms of both time and effort.

Good luck.

Thanks for that.

I'll certainly persue it to a certain degree as I'm disgusted at the way Ryanair handled it.
  • Alex_reeves
    Options
    Hi,

My flight was cancelled from IBIZA-Manchester on the morning it was due out. No reason was given. I only found out once at the airport. The staff were totally unhelpful and I had to really push to get on a standby list for another flight which unfortunately was from IBIZA-STANSTEAD. This flight was then delayed for 3 hours, and I then had to pay from a train home to Manchester as well as food. I was originally meant to get into Manchester at 1:15pm ended up getting home @ 9:30pm.

Although I was put on another flight it was delayed by 3 hours and totally inconvenient for Manchester.

Would I be entitled to compensation?

Many thanks for your help.

Alex
  • Tyzap
    edited 24 October 2017 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Hi,

My flight was cancelled from IBIZA-Manchester on the morning it was due out. No reason was given. I only found out once at the airport. The staff were totally unhelpful and I had to really push to get on a standby list for another flight which unfortunately was from IBIZA-STANSTEAD. This flight was then delayed for 3 hours, and I then had to pay from a train home to Manchester as well as food. I was originally meant to get into Manchester at 1:15pm ended up getting home @ 9:30pm.

Although I was put on another flight it was delayed by 3 hours and totally inconvenient for Manchester.

Would I be entitled to compensation?

Many thanks for your help.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, you are entitled to compensation, provided that the cancellation of your original flight was not caused by an 'extraordinary circumstance'. This is the airlines only way to refuse you compensation.

Your first step should be to lodge a claim via RA's website and see how that goes, it might be accepted and paid without further problems. You should also claim for any additional expenses incurred by arriving at Stansted Airport, e.g meals, drinks and train costs.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • beneathmyfeet
    beneathmyfeet Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice?

I was on a Ryanair flight from Hamburg to Stansted last week. The flight was due to depart at 6pm. We boarded the plane as normal and after a while were told there would be a slight delay in take off due to air traffic control.

After around an hour on the tarmac, the pilot told us the plane in fact had a leak and they were looking into it.
    We were then told it was worse than expected and that Ryanair was getting a mechanic from Dublin to look at it. We were still sat on the tarmac.

After two hours sat on a stationary plane, the pilot told we would not be taking off but Ryanair were flying another one in from Stansted which would be arriving at some point that evening.
    Busses took us back to the airport and we were left to find out for ourselves what to do next.

We eventually found out that the plane was due at 10pm - the expected departure then moved to 10.45pm. In the event we finally departed Hamburg at 11pm - 5 hours after we were due to leave.

At no point were any refreshments offered and no-one wanted to give us any information.

The only links I can find on Ryanair's website are one to request a refund and one to file a claim for food and drink expenses.

I can't find anything that tells me how to file for the 250 Euros per person EU compensation.
    Does anyone know if I am entitled to a refund and compensation and how do I go about claiming the compensation?
    I have filed a case through Resolver but haven't heard anything back and it's been a week.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would appear you are due comsation. Oil leak is NOT an EC.
    If not already done so, download Vauban's super informative guide.
    A week is not long. Consider months more likely, given the staff rota debacle. RA will have many many claims to process and I doubt Mr O'Dreary will waste any of his precious profits on hiring staff to deal with it....
    if yoept any receipts for refreshments these can also be claimed. RA are terrible in keeping people on a plane unnecessarily, confusing the issue with duty of care refreshments etc.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice?

I was on a Ryanair flight from Hamburg to Stansted last week. The flight was due to depart at 6pm. We boarded the plane as normal and after a while were told there would be a slight delay in take off due to air traffic control.

After around an hour on the tarmac, the pilot told us the plane in fact had a leak and they were looking into it.
    We were then told it was worse than expected and that Ryanair was getting a mechanic from Dublin to look at it. We were still sat on the tarmac.

After two hours sat on a stationary plane, the pilot told we would not be taking off but Ryanair were flying another one in from Stansted which would be arriving at some point that evening.
    Busses took us back to the airport and we were left to find out for ourselves what to do next.

We eventually found out that the plane was due at 10pm - the expected departure then moved to 10.45pm. In the event we finally departed Hamburg at 11pm - 5 hours after we were due to leave.

At no point were any refreshments offered and no-one wanted to give us any information.

The only links I can find on Ryanair's website are one to request a refund and one to file a claim for food and drink expenses.

I can't find anything that tells me how to file for the 250 Euros per person EU compensation.
    Does anyone know if I am entitled to a refund and compensation and how do I go about claiming the compensation?
    I have filed a case through Resolver but haven't heard anything back and it's been a week.

Hi beneathmyfeet,

If it was a technical problem then you are due compensation, plus drinks and food, if you have receipts.

I'm no expert on their website, but I would expect that a claim form will be there somewhere. In fact I have just had a look and it's hidden away....

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/flight-cancellations/What-happens-if-my-flight-is-delayed-or-cancelled

You will probably wait for a reply to Revolver for around 6 weeks.

Good luck.
  • crazysunshine54
    Options
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help... a flight I took 5 years ago was delayed by 5 hours and 5 minutes, but I've really only just realised that this could be a case for making a claim.

I tried using the Ryanair claim form, but I'm assuming that it's not accepting my flight number and reservation number due to the amount of time that's passed since the flight.

I've also used Resolver, but it's been 2 months and I've escalated the case twice and I'm yet to receive a response.

What's the best thing to do now? I was considering just using Ryanair's COMPLAINT FORM - OTHER, which is where the live chat person directed me to...

All helped would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    So yesterday on an early morning ryan air flight to venice ETD 06:20 we all boarded the plane after our boarding passes and passports checked and then boarding passses checked again , it occurs to flight crew that some passengers had boarded the wrong flight!!
    Some security. Their passports were scanned prior and boarding passes supposedly checked and checked again on boarding the airplane. The flight was delayed as they were on the wrong plane trying to sit in already allocated seats.
    The passengers on the incorrect flight were hearded off but then we were delayed as our slot to fly out was lost. We left over an hoir later than expected. Can we claim anything as this was a day trip or just human error??
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Please re-post on the Ryanair thread ONE below this one
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family