Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Patriciam04
    Options
    I checked with Bott and no compensation is due for being delayed. My issue is that we were advised at 21:00 by Gatwick ground staff that if we missed our connecting flight and weren't booked for the next day then we would be advised to leave the airport and seek alternative travel arrangements. We were handed the Easyjet information sheet on what to do if you flight is delayed or cancelled and advised to keep all receipts for hotels, travel, food etc. By this point we had stood in the Customer Services queue for 2 hrs 30mins and hadn't moved and he ground staff member again said that if our flight wasn't on his list and we didn't have anything booked for the next day then we had to make our own arrangements. Easyjet are not paying out as they said we should have spoken to Customer Services. As far as I am concerned the ground crew were acting on behalf of Easyjet due to the overwhelming amount of people that were in the terminal and Easyjet had to have given them the information on the flights going out that evening and the letters on Easyjet headed paper. Can anyone let me know if they had the same issue? Thanks
  • benhamnett
    Options
    Thanks DrWatson;

They've since sent in a revised answer, which on the first read looks very similar, albeit with some glaring errors (they attach a google maps screenshot to indicate the distance between El Prat and EMA, but the diagram very clearly points to Birmingham International Airport, for instance).

With the "extraordinary circumstance" argument fairly cut-and-dried (ie, it wasn't), is there anything to be gained from trying to get sympathy from the court regarding the circumstances etc? The 9 hours waiting to see Ryanair, the fact we weren't told of the cancellation until 40 minutes before flying, etc?

If not, as you say, it might be time to admit defeat here - can someone advise on how to go about this? I've initiated proceedings with the courts, so not sure what the options are as far as a) dropping the case entirely, or b) revising my claim to remove the compensation/loss of earnings/alternate flight refund (in light of what you mention about the AESA being not worth much weight)?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK Ryanair would appear to be a member of AviationADR - an alternative dispute resolution service. This could be alternative route for your complaint.
    I still think your reg 261/2004 is a dead duck being due to an ATC.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • KevBristol
    KevBristol Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife and her two friends travelled from Bristol to Alicante a couple of weeks ago. The outbound flight was delayed 6 hours so when they got back I filled out a form on Ryanairs website for compensation - expecting a long wait, excuses, more forms etc.

Amazingly within 5 days I had an email back saying that they would refund my credit card (as I paid for all 3 flights) within 10 days as full and final settlement.
    Excellent I thought, Ryanair has got their act together.

BUT then I noticed that they are only going to pay £659.50 which they claim is equivalent to €750.
    I dont know where they get their exchange rate from but that is nowhere near what it should be.
    Anyone come across this one before ?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KevBristol wrote: »
    BUT then I noticed that they are only going to pay £659.50 which they claim is equivalent to €750.
    I dont know where they get their exchange rate from but that is nowhere near what it should be.

you can check history of mid market rates on xe.com
    In the last month €750 has been in the range between £656 and £679
    what are you expecting the payment to be?
  • Vonnyc81
    Options
    Hi, my flight was cancelled 29/4/2014 due to runway closure at east Midlands airport (arrival airport) a cargo plane had crash landed due to landing gear snapping off. All flights were cancelled the rest of the day from what I remember.
    Has anyone else In this or a similar situation managed to claim successfully? I've read if air traffic control close the runway it's classed as exceptional. I claimed hotel expenses and food etc which I had refunded I never tried compensation as the letter Ryanair send said it was an exceptional circumstance. I can't be doing with the hassle I've submitted my details with a no win no fee company. I would do it myself but I thought it takes the agro out of it as I imagine it will be quite a battle
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's difficult to give a sensible answer to this question as the answer is already in the question. What liability do Ryanair have when the runway is closed due to a plane crash.
  • Vonnyc81
    Options
    Yes I suppose so. I know there was a shake up on what counts as exceptional circumstances. Some flights were diverted to different airports, we had to book the next flight 2 days later. Was stranded in ibiza. Was quite please about it thus never bothered about claiming lol
  • KevBristol
    KevBristol Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    you can check history of mid market rates on xe.com
    In the last month €750 has been in the range between £656 and £679
    what are you expecting the payment to be?

I was looking at the tourist rates which would have exchanged 750 euros to approx 690 pounds.
    But I just checked the Bank of Ireland exchange rate and that brings it more in line with the Ryan Air offer.
    So its not so bad as it first appeared. Although Ill only be happy when the moneys safely in my bank.
  • lottieheaven
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to share some good news about Ryanair and claiming compensations for a delayed flight. On 20th July my hubbie and two children were delayed at Alicante airport back to Stansted by just over 6 hours for a technical fault with the plane. Whilst the rep at the airport and a quick email from Ryanair to signpost hubbie to a travel insurance claim we went on the Ryanair website and completed their online for for compensation under EU ruling. After a week they emailed back to ask for our bank details which we provided and yesterday a BACS payment arrived in our account for £1055 (400 euros per passenger) VERY pleasantly surprised how quick and painless the process was ................ well done to Ryanair from us !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback