Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katespence wrote: »
    watch out for Ryannair if you have a 1 year old who turns 2 while on holiday. computer system caused loads of problems. as per usual ryannair did not care.

Is this related to a flight delay?
    there is information on the Ryanair website re booking an infant that turns 2 whilst away - you need to book it over the phone.
    If an infant reaches the age of 2 years prior to their return journey, they must pay the applicable adult fare, taxes, fees and charges for that flight, please contact our call centre to book.
    https://www.ryanair.com/us/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Travelling-with-children/Im-travelling-with-an-infant-is-there-anything-i-should-know
  • pension_seeker
    Options
    My son and his mates recently had their flight from Hamburg to Manchester re routed. They were due to land at 10:30.
    They checked in in good time but the boarding gate closed early leaving around a dozen people unable to board. Apparently they were short staffed and several flights were using the same gate so not everyone managed to board but the flight departed on time. My sons party approached the customer service desk and were offered an alternative flight to Dublin which they took, arriving around midday. They waited in the airport for their flight back to the UK which eventually took them to Newcastle, arriving around 22:00!
    Does the same policy apply for re routing as it does for delays?
    Can only the lead name on the booking request compensation for the whole group or can they each do it individually?
    Thanks for any pointers.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like denied boarding if they were at the boarding gate before boarding closed 20 minutes before departure and they were refused boarding - (I assume they only had hand luggage).
    Ryanair info on denied boarding compensation https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/help-centre-pdfs/eu261-.pdf
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son and his mates recently had their flight from Hamburg to Manchester re routed. They were due to land at 10:30.
    They checked in in good time but the boarding gate closed early leaving around a dozen people unable to board. Apparently they were short staffed and several flights were using the same gate so not everyone managed to board but the flight departed on time. My sons party approached the customer service desk and were offered an alternative flight to Dublin which they took, arriving around midday. They waited in the airport for their flight back to the UK which eventually took them to Newcastle, arriving around 22:00!
    Does the same policy apply for re routing as it does for delays?
    Can only the lead name on the booking request compensation for the whole group or can they each do it individually?
    Thanks for any pointers.

Hi,

This sounds a little suspicious as boarding a dozen or so passengers would have only taken a few minutes. Normally RA do the check in prior to starting to board, resulting in a queue down the steps and to the exit.

Were they returning to Manchester but taken to Newcastle instead? and if so how did they get back to Manchester and were their costs reimbursed?

Did RA ask for volunteers prior to the involuntary denied boarding?

Each individual can apply for their own compensation but usually it's the lead passenger who will apply on everyones behalf.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • pension_seeker
    Options
    Ryanair didn't ask for volunteers, just closed the gate at which point the remaining passengers started asking what was going on and were told to go to the customer service desk. My son's group opted for the Dublin flight as that was the next to leave Hamburg, not taking into account the long wait in Dublin for the onward flight to the UK. They were indeed returned to Newcastle instead of Manchester and managed to re arrange their minibus to collect them. No reimbursement offered. They landed in the UK approx 10 hours later than planned.
    Thanks
  • ekgulliver
    Options
    Hello, I have been offered the €250 compensation by Ryanair but there were 2 passengers on my booking. I can't see anywhere online whether the €250 under the EU26/2004 regulation whether this should be per booking or per person. Any ideas ?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ekgulliver wrote: »
    Hello, I have been offered the €250 compensation by Ryanair but there were 2 passengers on my booking. I can't see anywhere online whether the €250 under the EU26/2004 regulation whether this should be per booking or per person. Any ideas ?

Hi,

It's per passenger so did you claim for two?

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Unlikely that this is relevant perhaps but there are certain circumstances under which the compensation may be reduced by 50%. See article 7.2 of the regulations:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:439cd3a7-fd3c-4da7-8bf4-b0f60600c1d6.0004.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
  • Ecnible
    Options
    We were delayed by 6 hours in our flight from Palma to Leeds. I have put in a claim and had a reply from Ryanair saying I am not entitled as the delay was due to a lightening strike. Do I just accept this or ask for proof? What is to stop them making this sort of thing up?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put your flight details in to bottononline and EuClaim and see what they say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback