Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

edited 1 July 2014 at 3:03PM in Flight Delay Compensation
9.4K replies 1.5M views

Replies

• we where on our way to Tenerife and our Co Pilot was taken ill we diverted to Portugal there wasnt another Pilot avavailble we stayed over night finally reached our destination 19 hours and 42 minutes late we where all given a letter to make a claim when we got home. i called thompson and was told that they will log it but wherent able to anything at that time and i was told by them about this new law waiting to be past. so when i read e-mail yesterday about being able to now claim i phoned Thompson straight away had no problem and they are now sending forms out to me but i also want to claim compensation as well as for the delay does anyone know i go about that?
  • spaceaarvarkspaceaarvark Forumite
    106 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    formby55 wrote: »
    we where on our way to Tenerife and our Co Pilot was taken ill we diverted to Portugal there wasnt another Pilot avavailble we stayed over night finally reached our destination 19 hours and 42 minutes late we where all given a letter to make a claim when we got home. i called thompson and was told that they will log it but wherent able to anything at that time and i was told by them about this new law waiting to be past. so when i read e-mail yesterday about being able to now claim i phoned Thompson straight away had no problem and they are now sending forms out to me but i also want to claim compensation as well as for the delay does anyone know i go about that?

You should be entitled to compensation for the delay, but what else are you wanting to claim for?
  • Our flight was delayed 1.5yrs ago Manchester to Palma...& involved going to another airport on the way to fetch more passengers. It was delayed over 4hours due to a missing or suspicious baggage.

Have written a letter but worried as it may not be classed as their fault plus the distance is 1585km & the lady on this thread said they tried to argue it was less to pay less. Plus no boarding pass
  • Hi,

I have just received a claim form from thomson after I sent my letter off to them.

I was delayed for just over 32 hours in july 2011 coming back from the dominican republic due to a technical fault with the plane.

I was given a letter by thomson explaining this was the reason so would you say I have a good claim?
  • Could I have some advice on this one?

We were delayed travelling with Thomson from Coventry to Jersey in December 2007. As it was so long ago not surprisingly I no longer have boarding passes or any other hard evidence other than the flight number. If I remember rightly foggy weather was to blame initially resulting in either the inbound plane being delayed or our plane not being able to depart as it wouldn't have been able to land in Jersey. All fair enough, however after several hours we were told that, although the fog had cleared, our flight had been cancelled and that we would have to travel the following day as Jersey airport was too busy that afternoon to cope with the backlog. I'm 99% sure this was complete rubbish as Jersey airport is by no means a busy airport even at peak periods and someone I know who was working at the airport that day has confirmed that it was not busy at all. So I believe we were fobbed off.

If anyone could advise whether they think I have a case for a claim I would be grateful.

Thanks
  • My wife and I plus our two children were also on the above flight dated 26 June 2012. The departure was delayed by over 5 hours and although we made up a little time, the arrival at Montego Bay was 4 hours and 24 minutes late according to 'Flightstats'. I think it is the latter that determines the amount of compensation, and given the length of flight, should mean we get the maximum amount provided the delay was Thomson's fault. Does anyone else on this flight remember the reason given for the delay at the time? From memory I don't think it was due to weather conditions. I suspect Thomsons will come up with a reason which gets them off the hook unless any of us remember the reason given at the time!
    Many thanks.
  • Hi,

Could I have a little advice on this, please? My sister and her families' Thomson flight was delayed for something like 16 hours due to (what they were told at the time) a fault with the sat nav device on the airplane. Do you think this would this come under technical fault or an extraordinary circumstance? Thanks!
  • spaceaarvarkspaceaarvark Forumite
    106 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    kiera123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could I have a little advice on this, please? My sister and her families' Thomson flight was delayed for something like 16 hours due to (what they were told at the time) a fault with the sat nav device on the airplane. Do you think this would this come under technical fault or an extraordinary circumstance? Thanks!

Makes no difference what you or I or anyone else thinks Thomson will class this as. If it was a fault with the Sat nav, then that is a techical fault, not an extraordinary circumstance and they should put their claim in.
  • matt2bakermatt2baker Forumite
    114 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just read 'all' the posts on this Thomson forum thread. I have two claims for myself and my wife, June 2010 to Cape Verde (3.5hr arrival delay), and March 2011 to Mexico, (same delay). To save wasting my own time and allowing Thomson to use a delay tactic, should I send my letters (as per template) initially, or request that Thomson send me a form to fill-in. It seems that all letters generate a reply from Thomson to fill out a form.......

Thanks in advance
  • I'm after a bit of help. I was delayed by 20hrs last summer with Thomson. I have issued them a county court order as they refused to pay and although the plane broke down, they are saying that this was 'exceptional circumstance'. I have just had their defence statement and are querying my case. I listed the defendants in the court paperwork as 'Thomson Holidays' as it was them I booked with. We flew on a Thomson plane (when it worked) but they are saying that the air carrier was 'Thomson Airways' and therefore I have served the paperwork against the wrong company. This seems a bit pedantic to me especially when the legal sec that sent the response to the court worked for TUI who is the umbrella company. Has anyone had any similar experience or suggestions as to what I should do. I have no idea if I change the name of the company if I have to start back at square one with the court proceedings?
    Any help would be appreciated