edited 1 July 2014 at 3:03PM in Flight Delay Compensation
9.4K replies 1.5M views

Replies

• A_Flock_Of_SheepA_Flock_Of_Sheep Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    EC has to relate to the flight concerned. Not the previous flight. And certainly not the flight before that! How far back can they go? They're won't be any EC's at all if 'count back' applies. :undecided

Sorry I am a bit flummoxed now. The flight back from Finland to Gatwick was delayed by over 3 hours. The reason being the emergency door needed attention before it got to Finland to make the trip back. In pure and simple terms the flight was delayed/late leaving Finland by over 3 hours.
  • spaceaarvarkspaceaarvark Forumite
    106 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sorry I am a bit flummoxed now. The flight back from Finland to Gatwick was delayed by over 3 hours. The reason being the emergency door needed attention before it got to Finland to make the trip back. In pure and simple terms the flight was delayed/late leaving Finland by over 3 hours.

I suspect Mark2spark meant to say "There won't be any NON-EC's at all if 'count back' applies"!
  • Hi, I've just found out about this flight compensation stuff and wondered if someone could give me an opinion as to whether its worth me trying before I write to TUI again.

I tried to claim something back after the holiday in 2011 but Thomson flatly refused and I gave up.

My holiday was booked with First Choice which are part of Thomson and the original flights were scheduled for about 8am. A couple of weeks before the holiday they changed them to be around 2pm or 3pm.

In the end we sat in the airport until late in the evening - must have been close to midnight. We got into resort 4am the following day and missed a full day of the 7 day AI holiday in Majorca.

I think they gave several reasons for the delay at the time which were another airline (Thomas Cook) having spilled fuel on the runway and then the replacement plane we were supposed to use being defective.

Do these sound like reasons where they could reasonably say it wasn't their fault?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    pyjamafan wrote: »
    Hi, I've just found out about this flight compensation stuff and wondered if someone could give me an opinion as to whether its worth me trying before I write to TUI again.

I tried to claim something back after the holiday in 2011 but Thomson flatly refused and I gave up.

My holiday was booked with First Choice which are part of Thomson and the original flights were scheduled for about 8am. A couple of weeks before the holiday they changed them to be around 2pm or 3pm.

In the end we sat in the airport until late in the evening - must have been close to midnight. We got into resort 4am the following day and missed a full day of the 7 day AI holiday in Majorca.

I think they gave several reasons for the delay at the time which were another airline (Thomas Cook) having spilled fuel on the runway and then the replacement plane we were supposed to use being defective.

Do these sound like reasons where they could reasonably say it wasn't their fault?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

You won't know what their excuse is unless you write to them and commence a claim. So go ahead.
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Mark2spark meant to say "There won't be any NON-EC's at all if 'count back' applies"!

Well I meant that all flights would be able to be counted back to an EC eventually if the trail is allowed to go back beyond your flight, and the one before, and the one before that...
    Hence knock on effects simply can't be part of the EC process.

Or is that EC circus... :undecided ;)
  • Hi all,

I've been following this with interest - I was delayed by 25 hours on a First Choice flight from Manchester to Banjul on 14th December 2007 (eventually departing on 15th December).

We were given vouchers in the airport and eventually put up in a hotel overnight while a new plane was arranged - the annoying thing is I distinctly remember being given a letter stating "techinal problems" but given the time lapse, I no longer have it.

As I'm just about within the 6 year window, I've sent off a claim letter requesting 2x €400, enclosing a print out of my booking confirmation email, which I managed to dig out, and a copy of my passport stamps which show arrival a day later than planned.

I expect I'll get the same claim form everyone else has been sent, but the one problem I can see is that my sister has since lost her passport, so won't be able to show stamps etc - do you think that will be an issue?

Many thanks for all the info here so far

Millie
  • Hi. Would a security issue relating to a lost/missing bag, and then picking up passengers at another airport, causing a 4+ hour delay (don't know if the 2 were related) constitute EC? I would guess that the former would but latter would not, if unrelated? And if related?
  • Hi. My flight from Mahon - Gatwick last Aug was delayed by 23 hours. At 0200 the airport closed and we were put up in a hotel for the night and flew out the following afternoon. we landed just short of 24 hours after we should have taken off.

2 questions.....

1) Is putting us in a hotel already compensating us (even though we didnt want to stay)
    2) The flight the following day was the same flight number - does this make it a delay or a cancellation ?

Many thanks
  • many thanks centipede

Thomson said the flight was delayed because they "thought" there was a bird in the engine, and the only available engineer was in Majorca, it took about 7 hours to get him to Mahon and he didnt have time to work before the airport closed. The next day, after the work had been done, the pilot told us there was no bird after all.

Could Thomson claim this is an EC ? Also is the lack of engineer at Mahon airport an EC ?

I'm sure they'll try this with me

(PS was anybody else on this flight, TOM 4555 on aug 3rd ?)
  • Can anyone help please. In 2011 our Thomson flight from Gatwick to Mahon was diverted to Reus Spain. We were kept on the tarmac and not allowed off the plane. Here we remained for over an hour with no offer of a drink or anything else. The reason given for the diversion was to drop off an engineer/engineers and spare parts so they could repair another aircraft. Eventually arriving in Mahon at around 18:30 instead of 16:55 with a traumatic landing and left strapped again. This time apparently the plane was in the wrong position for us to get off and/or the hydraulic exit steps were not working properly. We did write to Thomson on our return in June 2011 and their replied in July only offering an apology. They said they do not offer compensationfor delays and all delay claims should be sent to our travel insurance provider. Does anyone know if we qualify?