Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

edited 2 July 2014 at 10:22AM in Flight Delay Compensation
8.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• TyzapTyzap Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this thread now has no purpose following the unfortunate demise of Thomas Cook.

I wish the great staff at TC all the best for the future.

I should have been departing to LA with them in two weeks time for a tour of the southern states. Instead I was up at 4am today rebooking alternative flights.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Hi
    Thomas Cook agreed to pay me £2650 compensation from a delayed flight in August.
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can now get that money from as they agreed to pay it to me within 28 days, that was September 10th?
    Thankyou
    Alan
  • Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid you are very unlikely to get anything at all now it's finished.
  • I’ve had many happy holidays with Thomas Cook, I’m so sad for the passengers and the 20,000 staff (9,000 UK based).

I recall two years ago (almost to the day) it was time for Monarch to go, sad times for the airline industry when you’ve got Ryanair and Jet2 left to choose from !

@Tyzap - I trust you managed to get alternate flights before they sky rocketed ? I guess you’ll be approaching your credit card company for a refund ?

That’s the only problem now - for flights only - anybody that paid with a debit card (not credit) might have difficulty - I wonder how sympathetic the banks will be ? Hmmmm
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I'm in exactly the same position as yourself Alan. Compo agreed on the 4th Sept. Payment within 28 days like yourself.

I'm not very hopeful
  • matthewfc wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position as yourself Alan. Compo agreed on the 4th Sept. Payment within 28 days like yourself.

I'm not very hopeful

I’m sorry but I’m 99.999% sure you’ll never see your compensation. I would expect their own staff and hoteliers will be miles ahead in the queue for £££
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • edited 23 September 2019 at 9:11PM
    JJPAJJPA Forumite
    12 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 23 September 2019 at 9:11PM
    I spoke to Thomas Cook on Saturday who reassured me that because compensation is covered by the EU, I would still receive it even if they were to cease trading (as transpired to be the case).

Is this fundamentally incorrect then? Reading up on it it does indeed seem that although such cases are covered by EU law, it is still the airlines that pay. You would assume then, that since the airline no longer exists, that this would not be possible.

Presumably such compensation would not be covered by ATOL / ABTA etc?

Advice appreciated, thanks.
  • TyzapTyzap Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

@Tyzap - I trust you managed to get alternate flights before they sky rocketed ? I guess you’ll be approaching your credit card company for a refund ?

I found replacement flight but it cost quite a bit more, and prices were going up as I was booking.

Claim for a full refund has gone in already:)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JJPA wrote: »
    I spoke to Thomas Cook on Saturday who reassured me that because compensation is covered by the EU, I would still receive it even if they were to cease trading (as transpired to be the case).

Is this fundamentally incorrect then? Reading up on it it does indeed seem that although such cases are covered by EU law, it is still the airlines that pay. You would assume then, that since the airline no longer exists, that this would not be possible.

Presumably such compensation would not be covered by ATOL / ABTA etc?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

It would only be covered by ABTA if you booked a package holiday - a traditional old style holiday, where Thomas Cook provided flights, transfers and accommodation- ATOL protection applies if you have booked all component parts of your holiday through TC. If you booked flight only - then they simply need to supply the flight or a refund and how can they pay you when they owe billions ?

Nope, I’m really sorry but there is no hope :(

• JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If flight only non ABTA then I would have thought credit card under section 75 should provide the refund.
    I wonder if those who had been promised compensation payment and had evidence of this contract/service would also be covered under section 75?
    Worth a try and at least you can then go to financial ombudsman, if needed.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........