Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

edited 2 July 2014 at 10:22AM in Flight Delay Compensation
8.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• WALK9763WALK9763 Forumite
    24 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hi
    We were due to fly on a Thomas Cook flight on 14th July at 6.20. We were told around 8.30 that the flight was cancelled and we managed to book onto a Jet2 flight which left at 4 that afternoon and which was approximately the same price. The replacement Thomas Cook flight was due to leave at 9am the following morning but we didn't want to wait as we were only going away for a few days. We arrived at our destination at 8.30 that night.
    My question is - do we claim for a refund for the original cancelled flight AND compensation, or do we just claim the money back for the cancelled flight?
    Thanks
  • Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put your flight details into bottonline and eu claim and see what they say about compensation. Then come back.
    24 posts
    I put a claim for a cancelled Thomas Cook flight through Resolver and I've just had a reply - they're offering me 900 euros - in a VOUCHER which I can only use through Thomas Cook. Apart from NEVER wanting to fly through them again I don't want a voucher - I want the money as we had to pay for an alternative flight. Do I have to accept the voucher or can I demand money instead.
    Thanks
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WALK9763 wrote: »
    I put a claim for a cancelled Thomas Cook flight through Resolver and I've just had a reply - they're offering me 900 euros - in a VOUCHER which I can only use through Thomas Cook. Apart from NEVER wanting to fly through them again I don't want a voucher - I want the money as we had to pay for an alternative flight. Do I have to accept the voucher or can I demand money instead.
    Thanks
    no you can have cash as per the EU261 rate (may be lower than the voucher offer)
    24 posts
    Many thanks Caz3121
  • anniebeaanniebea Forumite
    85 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    My nephew was flying to New York (JFK) on a Thomas Cook flight (flight only fare) on a Monday. On Sunday before they text to say the flight was cancelled. He finally got through to the customer services who only offered him a flight on the following Thursday. No offer of booking him on an alternate flight with another airline.
    He found a united airlines flight to Newark leaving on the Monday from the same departure airport which he paid for. The cost of the time was about twice the cost of his original Thomas Cook ticket.
    Thomas Cook have offered him a refund on the original ticket price, No compensation for their failure to attempt to book him on a flight before the following Thursday,
    Looking at the websites I think he is entitled to a refund of his original flight ticket and a minimum of 600 euros compensation towards the cost of his new ticket.
    What is the best way to proceed with this?
  • edited 30 August 2019 at 4:04PM
    JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 August 2019 at 4:04PM
    hi aniebea,
    No. He is entitled to:
    1. The additional cost over and above what he paid TC for the original flight, for the alternative flights.
    2. Compensation of €600, only if the cancellation was not an EC. download Vauban's must superb guide.
    If a refund is accepted, the airlines think they can wash their hands of youo.
    There will probably be separate web form for the compensation and the aditional expenses claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • anniebeaanniebea Forumite
    85 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    JPears wrote: »
    hi aniebea,
    No. He is entitled to:
    1. The additional cost over and above what he paid TC for the original flight, for the alternative flights.
    2. Compensation of €600, only if the cancellation was not an EC. download Vauban's must superb guide.

Sorry what does "only if the cancellation was not an EC" mean?

Thanks
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    An extraordinary circumstance.

Download Vauban's guide. You need to read this if you are going to claim correctly.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • It appears TC currently offer €600 cash or £700 in TC vouchers. Has anyone accepted vouchers in the past and how did you find using them? I.e any restrictions?
    I am Doll Parts
    Bad Skin, Doll Heart