New Post Advanced Search

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

edited 2 July 2014 at 10:22AM in Flight Delay Compensation
8.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• usejeanusejean Forumite
    39 posts
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    they cover advance changes in the t&cs (section 14)
    https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/fileadmin/dam/user_upload/tca_tandcs_apr2019_1.pdf
    they class anything under 12 hours change as 'minor'
    are there other airlines operating the same departure and arrival airport on the same day?

Thanks for replying. Yes 30 minutes earlier than the flight we originally booked with a different airline. Does this help my cause? Prefer to get a refund and change flights if at all possible.
    39 posts
    usejean wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. Yes 30 minutes earlier than the flight we originally booked with a different airline. Does this help my cause? Prefer to get a refund and change flights if at all possible.

Any advice? Or am I stuck with the new flight time?
  • TyzapTyzap Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    usejean wrote: »
    Any advice? Or am I stuck with the new flight time?

This area isn't covered under the 261 regulations as it seems to be a late change to their schedule rather than a delay

I fear that your best bet is to negotiate with the airline and tell them what you would be happy with.

If your'e not happy with the outcome I suggest you contact the CAA PACT team and ask them.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is what Thomas Cook state in their terms and conditions
    *A significant change includes: a change of Flight time that is 12 hours or more, a change of destination
    or a change to a different UK departure airport. Any other change will be a minor change, which
    means that you will not be entitled to an alternative Flight or a refund

If your flight is not changed more than 12hours after a schedueled flight time or a change in destination or a different airport departure you are not entitled to an alternative flight or a refund so even if there is a flight with a different airline 30 mins before your original flight time you will not qualify for that change. All you can do is ask them nicely to see if they will let you have an alternative flight, but they are under no obligation to do so.
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I would consider a 10 hour delay, under regulation 261/2004 as qualifying for re-routing by TC, at their expense.
    Technically they should re-book you on the alternative airline. But they will probably refuse.
    Make sure you make a full record of what was said and with full names, for future reference.

In which case you will need to take matters in to your own hands.
    Don't claim a refund, this makes it easier (in their eyes) for the airline to wash their hands of you.
    Book the alternative flights and claim the additional cost from TC, under regulation 261/2004. There should be a web form on the site to do this.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't actually matter what TC says in its T&Cs if that offers you less in consumer protection, the T&Cs become null and void.
    I have a flight back from Marseill in July with KLM. They have decided to stop the last flight back from Amsterdam to Leeds/Bradford, just on a Saturday so they rebooked us on the flight 7 hours earlier. I advised them that isn't convenient and we wanted the late evening on the Friday instead. They balked at that until I quoted regulation 261/2004 at them. And then they tried to charge me more. Of course I refused, again quoting the regulation. KLM really should know better.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas Cooks have admitted they are reducing capacity due to lack of bookings this year, a situation which is fairly obvious if you see the continuing discounts from all the major operators. I suspect the flight has been 'consolidated' three months in advance and I would heed the advice of Justice13075 before booking alternative flights
  • legal_magpielegal_magpie Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with J Pears and others that that they will probably refuse stating their terms and conditions. However, their Terms and Conditions have to be reasonable. I would agree with J Pears that a 10 hour change is unreasonable and that you could refuse to accept it but that you should make your position clear with the airline. If they refuse to budge and won't reroute you themselves, you may have to arrange the alternative flight yourself and if the cost is more claim the cost of the new flight. If the new flight is less, then your claim is for the difference. BUT beware if you are booked to come back with TC because some airlines have a policy of cancelling return flights if a passenger doesn't show up for the outgoing flight. So if you do cancel the outgoing flight make sure that they don't cancel your return (if that's you want)
    39 posts
    Thanks all, just called them and have been offered a change of flight with them, 10% off what we paid (exc. taxes) or a full refund. Gobsmacked as was expecting a battle!
    39 posts
    They’re well crafty though as none of this was in the email notifying me, not even how to get in touch with them!