Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning» Flight Delay Compensation

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY - Page 855

New Post Advanced Search

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

edited 2 July 2014 at 10:22AM in Flight Delay Compensation
8.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• Hello,

Fortunately for me after two weeks TC have responded and informed me that i'll get 600e compensation per person. No issues at all, i think i'm very lucky when i'm reading your posts.

KacperWro wrote: »
    Hello,

I've got a question. 12th of May my flight from Gatwick to Cayo Coco was delayed 5-6 hours, flight number MT2634. First departure time was scheduled 10:10, but due to "technical issues" it was delayed about 45 minutes. When plane landed we've been informed about another 30 minutes delay due to "too many disabled passengers". When finally we get on board 11:15 we've been informed about technical issues, we had engineer in pilot cockpit trying to fix something, but around 12:00 we've been informed that he won't be able to fix it and we have to wait for another plane which is in Manchester. We've been kept inside for 2,5h and finally moved to second plane just after 15:00 and flown off around 16:00. Does it qualify for claim? I've got emails and text messages from TC with all delays where they wrote "Due to a technical issue with the aircraft, your outbound flight MT2634 has been delayed until 15:20 UK time."

I've already used claim form on their website but i'm not sure what should i expect.

Thanks in advance for your time.
  • angels11angels11 Forumite
    32 posts
    Hi all

Just after a bit of advice
    On a a recent flight from turkey to Manchester we had to be diverted to Frankfurt due to a medical emergency. Which is fine but we were then stuck in Frankfurt for 14 hours until we took back off for our flight to Manchester. So we landed in Manchester 16 hours later than our expected arrival time. We have taken this issue up with Thomas cook and they have replied saying that due it it been a medical emergency we are not entitled to any compensation. If we had landed and the Ill passenger was treated and we took straight back off again I would agree but we were stuck in Germany for 14 hours. Any ideas where we stand on this.

Many thanks
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously a medical emergency on your particular flight is an Ec.
    However the airline must also take all reasonable steps to minimise your delay. I would say they didn't if you had to spend 14 hours at a major European airport.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • edited 25 June 2019 at 3:13PM
    Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2019 at 3:13PM
    What excuse have they given for the plane to be on the ground for 14 hours?. Have you completed a claim for compensation on their website? If not do it and ask them for a deadlock letter if they refuse compensation so you can take it to arbitration. Also download and read Vaubans guide. Did you fly back on the same plane? was it the same flight number or did that change? Did they offer you re-routing? Did they provide refreshments and if you were delayed overnight did they provide free hotels?
  • angels11angels11 Forumite
    32 posts
    Hi we came back in the same plane with the same flight number. We were put up in a hotel eventually. We got a room at about 4am and had to be back in the airport by 10am. We had no food or toiletries and were not allowed our luggage and offered no explanations as to why we were stuck there for so long but have completed a complaints form via resolver and they have replied saying as it was a medical emergency we are exempt from compensation. But I will ask the questions you have just raised and await there response.
    Many thanks
  • edited 25 June 2019 at 5:14PM
    Justice13075Justice13075 Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2019 at 5:14PM
    You need to contact them and ask for a deadlock letter so you can take it to Arbitration. that's the only way you will find out why you had to wait for 14 hours.

Thomas Cook use CEDR

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution. There is a form on their website you submit.
  • Mr.GenerousMr.Generous Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Flew with TC and had bad delays. Problem is first Manchester airport check in went down for 3 hours, so nobody could actually check in. Once it was up and running obviously there was a huge backlog which had a knock on to security, which then took ages with huge queue's. We got to our gate and about 30 people were there, estimate plane holds 250.

Flight was due to leave at 14:40 pm, boarding actually started about 17:10 but then we were held up on the tarmac waiting for a landing slot and actually took off about 19:00 landing at 22:40 which should have been 18:20

TC are saying nothing due as exceptional circumstances, the delays at check in meant we missed our slot and Man was very congested.

Any thought please experts welcome, or anyone with a similar experience?
  • TyzapTyzap Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Flew with TC and had bad delays. Problem is first Manchester airport check in went down for 3 hours, so nobody could actually check in. Once it was up and running obviously there was a huge backlog which had a knock on to security, which then took ages with huge queue's. We got to our gate and about 30 people were there, estimate plane holds 250.

Flight was due to leave at 14:40 pm, boarding actually started about 17:10 but then we were held up on the tarmac waiting for a landing slot and actually took off about 19:00 landing at 22:40 which should have been 18:20

TC are saying nothing due as exceptional circumstances, the delays at check in meant we missed our slot and Man was very congested.

Any thought please experts welcome, or anyone with a similar experience?

Hi,

I suggest you put your flight details into Botts flight delay calculator to see if they believe you have a valid claim.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/calculator

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • nikki702nikki702 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Can anyone advise please..

My brother and his partner were given a voucher for compensation for delayed flights when travelling to Turkey (£900)

He has attempted to redeem his voucher today and has been told he needs to pay the full price £975 for his holiday and then be refunded the £900 voucher amount in 28 days.

Is this correct? He doesn’t have the money to pay the full amount and was relying on this to pay for his holiday. He has lots of health problems and could really do with the break

Thanks
  • legal_magpielegal_magpie Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    They were under no obligation to accept vouchers and could have insisted on cash unless, of course, they were offering a greater sum in vouchers than the entitlement. Having accepted them he should check to see whether TC made it clear at the time that he would have to pay up front. If not, he should refuse unless he can pay on a credit card. It might be better to go to a TC travel agency to complain.