Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• bazaar_2
    bazaar_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if its any help but post #8 on the "FAQ's to flight delay compensation queries" has the following:

"A question often asked is whether an EC [exceptional circumstance], that effects the flight previous to yours, is also an EC on your flight, as a knock on effect.

The answer is NO.

Point 37. Finnair Oyj v Timy Lassooy Case C-22/11"

Might be worth a read?

HTH

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...CJ0022:EN:HTML

Nice one, was certainly good reading, although it is specific in that it is a case of denied boarding, Ive read ( cant remember exactly) that denied boarders AND delayed flight claimants should be treated the same, so this would be a good one to keep up your sleeve when you get a defence from TC to your claim.
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bazaar wrote: »
    Maghater, I should clarify that TC claimed ( after checking their records) that it was a bird strike to a previous flight, nothing to do with our flight. Since Ive started the POC and my call for them to respond, they issued a statement that it was now ( after checking their records) due to a hard landing on a previous flight. Theve offered no evidence of this, I also pointed out that a check on All bird strikes did not get recorded for the day in question, so Obviously TC have changed their excuse because I had checked out their little ruse. Its all a stalling tactic. My POC is almost ready and I'll be trotting off to the local court in the next few days.
    So they are claiming ec for a hard landing? Probably going to blame the contractor for using concrete on the runway instead of sand. They are a pack of grad one so and sos.
  • smashee72
    smashee72 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi have just joined this thread and see its very long!
    My family and I were delayed in Corfu going to Newcastle in in 2011 which was a total nightmare as I had a 7 month old baby and a 6 year old child, we were queing for sandwhiches and never ended up getting anything to eat until we got on the plane and had our inflight meal that we had prebooked. . I emailed thomas cook customer service at the time complaining and never got a reply. Has anyone had any luck with them?
  • southy1
    southy1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all have downloaded template letter to send to thomas cook,our flight to dalaman in turkey on the 31st may 2010 at 6.55pm took off then returned back to manchester, the pilot said that there was a flashing light and to be safe he was returning to airport.We went back to departures and waited and waited and at 11oclock were told we were being put up in a hotel for night and would leave in morning. after breakfast we were told we would be leaving hotel at 7 that night and would take off at 11.25pm by the time we reached dalaman it was 2nd of june 28hrs later.I cant find tickets or boarding passes but have reference no.and a copy of the letter they gave us at the time apologizing for delay is that enough and am I allowed to claim for delay.

thanks
  • pinklady13
    Options
    pinklady13 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I sent my letter via the template and have received a reply that states:
    " Having carried out a full investigation the specific circumstances surrounding the delay to your own flight were of a technical nature, which were extraordinary due to vor system defect, despite Thomas Cook taking all reasonable precautions necessary to prevent the situation"

Now I've read the sticky and it says technical faults are not extraordinary - but is this specific fault something that would render it extraordinary?

If they are BSing me - What's my next step - prepare court documents?

Can anyone help - I'm not sure if this would be a extra-ordinary circumstance??? I am at a complete loss as to what to do now?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    pinklady13 wrote: »
    Can anyone help - I'm not sure if this would be a extra-ordinary circumstance??? I am at a complete loss as to what to do now?

You either take them to Court or engage a no-win no-fee company (who will take about a third of your win). See the thread "Taking The Airlines To Court" for some useful next steps.
  • surfstak
    surfstak Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I sent the Compensation claim for delayed flight template off on the 28th Feb, zero repsonse as per of April 2nd.
    I also emailed a chaser last week but had no reply.

What is my next stage?

My family and I were on flight TCX 6138 on Sunday Sep-16-2012 from Newcastle airport to Reus
    This flight arrived 8 hours late at Reus .
    cheers.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    surfstak wrote: »
    I sent the Compensation claim for delayed flight template off on the 28th Feb, zero repsonse as per of April 2nd.
    I also emailed a chaser last week but had no reply.

What is my next stage?

My family and I were on flight TCX 6138 on Sunday Sep-16-2012 from Newcastle airport to Reus
    This flight arrived 8 hours late at Reus .
    cheers.

Why were you delayed?
  • surfstak
    surfstak Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2013 at 1:53PM
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Why were you delayed?
    No Idea! Apparently this was this week that TC had many many delays in Newcastle and other airports.
    There was talk of them going bust. The rumours in the dept lounge were rife.
    We were given 3-4 new flight times before the final lift off.

The plane given was an unbranded white plane, entry via the rear, it was military-esque with eastern european staff.
    Delays.

On the plane it turned nasty as people had booked seats and the stewardess' had just told people to sit where they wanted (a la easyjet).

After googling that time period:-
    TC=a number of flights have unfortunately been delayed over the last couple of days due to weather related problems in Zakynthos on Thursday night / Friday morning
  • Mrs_SB
    Mrs_SB Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    southy1 wrote: »
    Hi all have downloaded template letter to send to thomas cook,our flight to dalaman in turkey on the 31st may 2010 at 6.55pm took off then returned back to manchester, the pilot said that there was a flashing light and to be safe he was returning to airport.We went back to departures and waited and waited and at 11oclock were told we were being put up in a hotel for night and would leave in morning. after breakfast we were told we would be leaving hotel at 7 that night and would take off at 11.25pm by the time we reached dalaman it was 2nd of june 28hrs later.I cant find tickets or boarding passes but have reference no.and a copy of the letter they gave us at the time apologizing for delay is that enough and am I allowed to claim for delay.

thanks
    I would have thought you should contact them as you have a reference number (which I more than I have - I only have the booking confirmation letter). I don't know if I have enough proof as don't have boarding cards or tickets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure