We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• BOH
    BOH Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options

Hi There

Having read these forums I have been inspired to take on the mighty HSBC.
    I have already rec'd compensation twice from them due to their incompetence on other matters. Having waded through past statements it appears that I have been stung for approx £2000 in charges not including interest.
    I have just highlighted charges of £72, £100 & £125. They appear as Total charges only on my statements so am assuming that I can reclaim them. The usual £25 charges I guess I'm stuck with.
    Is it advisable to go for interest as well I was wondering ?
    Also what kind of spreadsheet do I have to provide ?

Assistance and any advice would be gratefully received.

Keep up the good work guys, Let's stop them screwing us anymore.
    :T
  • kylebunkin
    Options
    nickmack wrote:
    You need to carry out whatever you have specified in your letter. Many banks are now waiting for a claim before offering the full amount. They are hoping that your situation is typical and that the customer is too scared/lazy/skint to proceed with the claim.

Excellent. I shall send the next letter telling them that it's pay up time or else and then go to the court proceeding. Generally I'd fall into the category of lazy/skint but the attitude this bank has, has gotten my goat up beyond belief. Shall keep you all informed.

• lisaf
    lisaf Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i did post earlier today on another thread, but it seems to have been removed so I'm not sure if anyone replied.
    My problem so far is that I have got so far as sending my list of charges off to HSBC. On that list they wanted amount, date, etc and what the charges were actually for. Now all of my charges are literally just written as either CHARGES or TOTAL CHARGES. There is nothing specifically to say what they're for. I realise they are for returded DD's and cheques etc but I didn't want to just guess what charge related to what knocked back chq/DD or over O/D limit etc. I basically didn't want to give them the chance to come back and say that you apportioned the wrong charge with the wrong thing and knock the claim back a few weeks/months.
    I mean they do actually have ALL this info at their fingertips aswell. They've charged me so they should be letting ME know what for!
    I feel better for that now!
    Any advice would be very much appreciated
    Lisa
  • louloujs
    louloujs Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    I have now written my letter to Bank of Scotland claiming just over £5000 plus the interest (using the online calculator). I have printed the calculation sheet off to attach to my letter. Do I actually need to itemise every charge?

Another quickie - my husband also banks (with an OD) with BOS - are they likely to ask him to go as well as me? Not that we really care, money-grabbing *^%"£ers, just want to know if another account is needed for him too?

Thanks for the great advice and replies on this thread.
    Lou
  • Zonure
    Options
    I find it interesting that everyone thinks that the banks are out to get them. I think that the idea of "evil" banks has been whipped up by the media to get a rise out of everyone.

Yes the charges are a bit high but they are meant as a deterrant. The easy way to avoid them is to manage your finances correctly!

With regards to overdraft charges - if they paid all the direct debits etc that were due to come out of the account everyone would be up in arms moaning about banks perpetuating debt! Also in real terms you are spending the banks money why shouldnt they charge you for doing it.

Most people dont realise that they might not see any of the refund if it was used to repay any debt they had outstanding when they closed your account.
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    sometimes they are bank errors! and the banks are only to happy to give 0% overdrats, loans to help etc often they arent even explained properly
    i always managed fine till they messed up and then it just spiralled..
    everyone's situation is different. i dont mind them charging but £35 a go is excessive especially when you dont even get a letter telling you that you are over your limit!!
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is the last one I sent 7 days was up yesterday heard nothing from them whatsoever

Now you don't write to the bank anymore. You need to enter a court claim. You do this without giving the bank any more notice.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Katuska
    Katuska Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    That is the last one I sent 7 days was up yesterday heard nothing from them whatsoever

I suggest you phone the Headquarters and enquire about your case on the phone. Have you sent the letter via recorded delivery? You can check whether the letter got actually delivered on the Royal Mail web site. My second letter got lost and I had to send it out again.
    Lloyds TSB Current Account-
    Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 27 Oct 2006
    - Letter Before Action sent 5 Jan 2007 :dance:
    Claim filed 15 Feb
    Defence entered 26 Feb
    HSBC - Fully settled!:T
  • Tiggerhoney
    Options
    Katuska wrote:
    I suggest you phone the Headquarters and enquire about your case on the phone. Have you sent the letter via recorded delivery? You can check whether the letter got actually delivered on the Royal Mail web site. My second letter got lost and I had to send it out again.
    Yes sent letter recorded checked the site and tracked delivery and it was stamped electronic proof of delivery not signed so I guess they received it
  • Katuska
    Katuska Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Yes sent letter recorded checked the site and tracked delivery and it was stamped electronic proof of delivery not signed so I guess they received it
    Fair enough, then you really don't have to wait on them, file your claim.
    Lloyds TSB Current Account-
    Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 27 Oct 2006
    - Letter Before Action sent 5 Jan 2007 :dance:
    Claim filed 15 Feb
    Defence entered 26 Feb
    HSBC - Fully settled!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing