We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

General lack of respect for eachother

Options

Comments

• nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    My answers - not on a postcard, bu in red.
    chrissyd wrote: »
    Has this got anything to do with money saving? I suppose it has if you're going to let someone else buy everything for you!

Having been given a little window into what my wife must be thinking about all the time I'm not sure what I must do next. So come on ladies please help me out here. Can you answer the following questions for me so that I can get through the Easter weekend without offending her?

1. Do I open jars etc? If she can't, and she asks you to.
    2. Do I open the door for her? If you're in front of her.
    3. Do I stop calling her 'Little Lady'? **Only if she asks you to.
    4. Should I help her moving blocks around to the back garden (she is 8 months pregnant with number 3)?Er, that's a yes. In fact, don't just help her, do it for her.
    5. Should I buy her something nice for the weekend?Every weekend.
    6. Should I try and enjoy watching Loose Women on ITV?God, no, that's asking too much. Even women don't like that.
    7. Shall I get more in touch with my emotions?LMAO

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please

** this was a joke, so don't go burning your dungarees in protest.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • MXW
    MXW Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    dora37 wrote: »
    *Can you hear the Hovis tune playing in the background ?*
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=snowmaid;4784766
    3. Remote - I totally feel that this is a guys domain and will certainly not interfere for fear of my hand being bitten off! I go upstairs and watch telly there!! :rotfl:[/QUOTE]

And that's equality???
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • JuStSoMeOneUdOnTKnOw
    Options
    Respect for self and others is vitally important but the OP seems like a joke.. something you'd have read in the 50s or so.

However.. I think I read somewhere her saying that she's from south africa and I have family there and they do have a completely different outlook which is quite quaint and old fashioned compared to here. Maybe that's why it seems so normal to her. No offence intended btw :)
    If indeed you must be candid, be candid beautifully.

Murphys no more pies club Member #61
  • snowmaid
    snowmaid Posts: 3,494 Forumite
    Options
    nickyhutch wrote: »
    And that's equality???

:rotfl: :rotfl: It was a joke! Thats all! Just a joke! ;) I go upstairs into the comfy of my bedroom and feather duvet and leave him sitting in the lounge on the 'uncomfy' sofas! Quite frankly I think I'm the winner! :D
  • snowmaid
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    The big problem with this thread, as I see it, and others posters have too, is that this is NOT an issue of gender roles but one of general behaviour.

Gender roles are socially constructed - there is nothing whatsoever to say that the OPs idea of respectful roles are the best ones. Society has told us for years that men and women are different, but it is just our biological sex that is different, not our gender. As a society, I believe we need to start respecting each other more, but this has nothing at all to do with the way men or women behave - it is to do with how INDIVIDUALS behave (as in human beings sharing the same world).

OP, I really didn't understand where you are coming from until you mentioned your church. If your church is anything like one I am aware of, you are part of a community that advocates such differences, but that does NOT make them the correct way to be. I felt the original post had an air of arrogance about it - who decided you are in a position to judge how women or men should behave? You don't like what you see about you but that does not mean you are right - it means you think differently to the people you have observed.

I don't drink at all and hate to see ANYONE so drunk they are unaware of what they doing (I worry about their safety) and I would give my seat up to anyone who needed it more than myself. However, if my OH beat me to the last seat, my only thought would be to make sure I got past him the next time - it's just a bit of fun really! We should not 'insist' ANYONE goes out of their way for us, as again that is merely a socially constructed idea of how we should be, as is paying. I don't like swearing either - by males or females!

Basically what I am saying is - please can we take the gender bit out as that is, frankly, irrelevant to what would otherwise be valid points?

Bestpud

You have a very good point! :j If you have a look at my heading, I referred to 'general lack of respect for eachother'. The examples I used were just that, examples. I was only making suggestions where perhaps we can change towards eachother for the better, in simple little ways to make life a little nicer! I voiced my opinions, did not personally accuse EVERYONE of behaviour that I had noticed and have said that there are marvelous people out there. I did say that I was in no position to judge.

Perhaps I was wrong in using gender and specifically naming areas where male and females can be nicer. I just thought it would be easier to try and get across what I was saying...in hindsight it looks like I failed miserably :o So, apologies to those who I offended, albeit unintentionally. Okey dokey?

Just by the way, I was starting to get ready to get off a train and tube last night and lo and behold, in two instances men were barging down the aisle towards the door, I stood back 'knowing' that if I got in the way I would be run over, HOWEVER, they stopped and stood back for me to go first!!!!!!! This happened twice!! :eek: :T To say that one had to push my jaw back into place would be an understatement! It was pleasant! It was suprising because one was in his 40's and the other in his mid 20's. Of course I never growled at them! I smile and said thankyou! ;) (The 20 something I wanted to stop and take him home with me for my daughter! On top of being polite he was rather cute!) :rotfl:
  • snowmaid
    Options
    Respect for self and others is vitally important but the OP seems like a joke.. something you'd have read in the 50s or so.

However.. I think I read somewhere her saying that she's from south africa and I have family there and they do have a completely different outlook which is quite quaint and old fashioned compared to here. Maybe that's why it seems so normal to her. No offence intended btw :)

No offence taken. ;) Yes, in a lot of ways the general lack of respect shown towards eachother is a shock. But I don't think that 'being nice' and 'respectful' should be on 'old fashioned' notion. It could just make our days that bit more nicer to bear. :D
  • snowmaid
    Options
    chrissyd wrote: »

Having been given a little window into what my wife must be thinking about all the time I'm not sure what I must do next. So come on ladies please help me out here. Can you answer the following questions for me so that I can get through the Easter weekend without offending her?

1. Do I open jars etc? Yes. I battle my butt off to get the jars open ! :mad:
    2. Do I open the door for her? Yes, unless your hands are full of the parcels you are lovingly carrying for her! ;)
    3. Do I stop calling her 'Little Lady'? Not if that is your pet name for her. It's endearing.
    4. Should I help her moving blocks around to the back garden (she is 8 months pregnant with number 3)? You do it and finished.
    5. Should I buy her something nice for the weekend? If you want to be held in awe and 'worshipped'! :D
    6. Should I try and enjoy watching Loose Women on ITV? No, rather make your own fun in your bedroom (or kitchen) with her!
    7. Shall I get more in touch with my emotions? Oh gawd please don't.:rolleyes: There is nothing worse than a 'soppy' guy!!
  • milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Options
    When I was young & single & dating, I always offered to pay my way on dates.............

If they let me I never saw them again;) :D
  • snowmaid
    Options
    kimevans wrote: »
    When I was young & single & dating, I always offered to pay my way on dates.............

If they let me I never saw them again;) :D

:rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family