General lack of respect for eachother

Options
Have women, in their quest for 'equality', achieved nothing more than lack of respect?

I have a look at the 'modern' couple and all I see is how poorly they treat eachother.

Women are so determined to be treated equally that they dont even realise how badly they are being treated. EG:

1. Men will rarely fetch from and take a woman home after a date.
2. I have seen a couple on the train where the man will sit down and not offer the seat to the lady! :eek:
3. Men no longer seem to open a door for a lady,
4. Will not pay for a movie etc even though he invited her.
5. Refuse to help in the house, even though the wife works a full day as well.
6. Men will not stand for pregnant women on trains and buses, even though its not a case of putting her butt on the seat, but rather the safety of the child and her in the event of the train jerking and her stumbling, which happens frequently.
7. Speak to her like she is an absolute piece of sh*t.

And what saddens me is that women actually see this as a sign of being 'equal'? All I see is that men have been given full reign to behave like t*ssers all in the name of 'equality' and woman accept this behaviour?

But, if we ladies want respect, we have to do our part:

1. Don't roll around drunk in the name of 'equality' - rather keep our dignity and wits about us.
2. Insist a guy fetch and take you - insist on general respect.
3. Graciously let a guy open a door for you - it doesn't make you less a person, but rather shows a respect for eachother.
4. If we are going to act like sl@gs we will be treated as such.
5. If a guy wants to take you on a date, let him pay. Let him have some self respect.
6. If a guy offers you a seat on a train, don't be rude, but rather say thankyou and smile instead of taking his head off.
7. Let your guy know that as long as you are both holding full day jobs, you will each do an equal amount of work at home.
8. Dress modestly and smartly. If you dress like a t@art I'm afraid you will be treated like one. :rolleyes: You can still be sexy with everything covered.
8. Don't lose your self respect by being foul mouthed around people, rather keep your dignity and insist that guys don't use bad language around you and that they show you respect.

We need to get general respect back for ourselves and one another. I don't know what others feel and maybe you will think this old fashioned, but I feel that if people begin to be courteous and respectful towards themselves as well as eachother, we will all be much happier. :p

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

How much do you respect men if you *expect* them to wait on you hand and foot and pay for everything?

I'm happy to pay for my gf when we're out and about, but probably wouldn't be if she *insisted* on it.

I want to be in a relationship with a woman, not a spoilt little brat...
  • snowmaid
    snowmaid Posts: 3,494 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

How much do you respect men if you *expect* them to wait on you hand and foot and pay for everything?

I'm happy to pay for my gf when we're out and about, but probably wouldn't be if she *insisted* on it.

I want to be in a relationship with a woman, not a spoilt little brat...

I said, that if a guy INVITED you on a date, then he should pay, I did not state anything about subsequent get togethers etc. ;)

I certainly don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but just to be treated with respect would be nice :D
  • daphne_descends
    Options
    Wow, I am enlightened!

Maybe you should keep your nose out of other peoples relationships?
  • snowmaid
    Options
    sleepymy wrote: »
    In other words blame feminism on a few rude people, whatever their sex? You're making some major sweeping and untrue statements there.

I should have said it is a generalisation of what I have noticed. Apologies if I never made myself clear. :o

But look around you in general . I know that not all men are like this. I know that for a fact. I am married to the most wonderful MAN. Who insists on opening a door for me, who isn't afraid to cook, who always offers me a seat, stands up for elderly people etc etc blah blah blah and to me this shows a man.

When we went out for dates I certainly offered to pay half, but he wouldn't allow it. Not everyone is in this position and certainly a woman shouldn't sponge off a guy either, but its just nice to treat eachother with respect. thats all I am saying. ;)
  • snowmaid
    Options
    fac73 wrote: »
    Wow, I am enlightened!

Maybe you should keep your nose out of other peoples relationships?

Hhmmm....I think I have touched a few nerves....:rolleyes:
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    My OH treats me with respect and I treat him with respect, I consider myself to be at least equal to any man but I know we are different and I don't have a problem with letting him carry heavy stuff for me etc.

I would not put up with anyone treating me with a lack of courtesy male or female and I have brought up my children to have good manners which include holding open doors for people and treating people as equals.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • daphne_descends
    Options
    snowmaid wrote: »
    Hhmmm....I think I have touched a few nerves....:rolleyes:

Not really, no - I just wonder what makes you an expert on behaviour?

By your definition I suppose I'm part of a 'modern' couple, and I'm treated like a queen. But when we were dating, I could afford to pay for my own drinks. Whether I did or not depended on how I felt at the time :p
  • snowmaid
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    My OH treats me with respect and I treat him with respect, I consider myself to be at least equal to any man but I know we are different and I don't have a problem with letting him carry heavy stuff for me etc.

I would not put up with anyone treating me with a lack of courtesy male or female and I have brought up my children to have good manners which include holding open doors for people and treating people as equals.

:T I was starting to think I am the only one who was treated well by her partner!! My hubby will not allow me to carry parcels either! I have OFTEN insisted that I am just as capable, but then I think that if this is something he wants to do, and its a case of wanting to help me, then why not? Why should I be offended because of this. I feel special that he cares enough to want to do this. :D
  • snowmaid
    Options
    fac73 wrote: »
    Not really, no - I just wonder what makes you an expert on behaviour?

By your definition I suppose I'm part of a 'modern' couple, and I'm treated like a queen. But when we were dating, I could afford to pay for my own drinks. Whether I did or not depended on how I felt at the time :p

Certainly no 'expert' but have been 'watching' behaviour over a number of years. Do yourself a favour and look around you and see how people interact with one another. Look at pub situations, train situations etc etc. I must stress this isn't everybody. There are wonderful people out there who continously show respect for one another. ;)
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    snowmaid wrote: »
    its just nice to treat eachother with respect. thats all I am saying. ;)

That's not what you're saying though!?
    "Insist a guy fetch and take you"

That isn't treating each other with respect, that's treating your guy like a doormat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure