Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2012 at 7:31AM
    Options
    From using it for a day, the only downside is the screen responsiveness (it's mentioned in nearly every review...I'm not going to risk scratches, sorry...screen protectors haven't affected any other Droids I've put them on, so it must just be one of its weaknesses).

What don't you understand about tethering/GiffGaff?

Assuming a person sleeps 8 hours a night, 16 hours of the day remains..it's just a ballpark figure talked about on the GiffGaff community. The very most data usage GiffGaff would allow (apparently) is 1GB an hour x 16 hours a day but obviously they couldn't cope if everyone did that.

I don't mind the £12 Goodybag price rise from the £10 one, just that it's a pain in the rear when buying a top-up voucher, as you can only do it in £5 multiples. And there's issues with recurring Goodybags by credit card, which I won't go into on here as I'm already going off-topic.

Edit: I've just read that it's 1GB an hour, up to 3GB a day, if you go over that you will get a warning and probably a ban.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    LouLou wrote: »
    From using it for a day, the only downside is the screen responsiveness (it's mentioned in nearly every review...I'm not going to risk scratches, sorry...screen protectors haven't affected any other Droids I've put them on, so it must just be one of its weaknesses).

Assuming a person sleeps 8 hours a night, 16 hours of the day remains..it's just a ballpark figure talked about on the GiffGaff community. They very most data usage GiffGaff would allow (apparently) is 1GB an hour x 16 hours a day but obviously they couldn't cope if everyone did that.

I don't mind the £12 Goodybag price rise from the £10 one, just that it's a pain in the rear when buying a top-up voucher, as you can only do it in £5 multiples. And there's issues with recurring Goodybags by credit card, which I won't go into on here as I'm already going off-topic.

Early reviews before the 892 update (and then it was only the bottom 3 buttons). AFAIK the only people on 892 still experiencing poor screen responsiveness are those employing a wholly redundant screen protector :D Try it without for a day and see if you want to put it back on again.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options

Assuming a person sleeps 8 hours a night, 16 hours of the day remains..it's just a ballpark figure talked about on the GiffGaff community. They very most they expect users to use is 1GB an hour x 16 hours a day but obviously they couldn't cope if everyone did that.

I don't have any issues with recurring Goodybags by credit card (and another 1% off in credit card cashback :)) so don't know about that.

If the G300 was a £400 HTC then yes I would use a screen protector, but its a £65 phone many people will be happy to get 18 months out of and will probably want to change, its going to be worth £5 then scratched or not.

Several people have said its a lot better without one and I agree, thats just the way it is its not the phone's short of power, perhaps partly the software. Mine was only on Android 2.3 for about an hour! but on ICS without a protector its fast and responsive, I changed the dialler because the screen was so sensitive I kept phoning people by accident on the stock dialler..awkward :o (changed to one that doesn't have so many contacts on screen)

Another point, have you put a normal protector on or have you just left the factory one on? the one it comes with is really just meant for shipping protection, its too thick for normal use.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2012 at 4:42AM
    Options
    No, it's not the three buttons at the bottom, it's the screen, as I mentioned. I'll leave it up to mum to decide whether she wants to take the screen protector off. (I bought it with a gel case).

As I said, Gorilla Glass still gets scratched. It's not about having it pristine for resale, it's about looking after the phone.

Though ebay bids for the Huawei are still, surprisingly, very healthy. I didn't get mine for £65 as Tesco didn't have it anywhere weeks ago..so I bought it for a few £ more from a Buy It Now listing.

Somewhere on Modaco (can't remember the thread as I read about 15 pages of G300 threads!) there was someone on B892 mentioning the screen.

GiffGaff has had quite a few complaints about payment muck-ups with recurring Goodybags (a recent one had a payment debited six times!!) which obviously isn't typical. There's been a whole load of c0ck-ups in recent months with me and my sister's GiffGaff accounts so I wouldn't give myself more pain by adding my CC.

One upside, I suppose, is that my Payback is HUGE with all the complaining I did. I was recently without a phone network for eleven days! Usually I earned about twenty pence!

PS: Curiously, there's a review on Amazon for a G300 screen protector that insists it makes the screen *more* responsive!: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2PMXAAIXZ50XP/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007ZC04UW&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=560798&store=electronics
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    I thought we had been asked by the rest of the forum not mention the G300 and how good and cheap it is, it annoys them :silenced: so I have contained myself.

Although I have tried a lot of software on it and its quite different now, apart from ICS I am using a nicer dialler, a better SMS program, new icons, new toggler (wifi, bluetooth etc on/off widget), new calendar, new weather widget, new email, fixed the spellchecker...etc.

Luvvin mine - best phone I ever had

& I've had a few- started with Motorola house brick, then mostly Sony Ericssons until my last LG that cost me £240
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Options
    As I said, Gorilla Glass still gets scratched. It's not about having it pristine for resale, it's about looking after the phone.
    Well I don't have Gorilla Glass or a screen protector, and two years on the screen still looks pristine. Personally, I think the use of screen protectors is vastly overated. Unless you're particularly clumsy or accident prone I really don't think it's worthwhile (particularly on a cheap phone like this).
    Stompa
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    What's a 'phone stabber?
    And what does this mean?
    One upside, I suppose, is that my Payback is HUGE with all the complaining I did. I was recently without a phone network for eleven days! Usually I earned about twenty pence!
    That seems to imply that you get paid for complaining.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    What's a 'phone stabber?
    And what does this mean?
    That seems to imply that you get paid for complaining.

Pretty much, they pay users to support each other on the forum in lieu of customer service!

Hence you post a question like 'how do check my data usage' and you get bombarded with replies - mostly all the same, if you pick an answer as the solution to your problem the person gets greater cashback.

Curiously I have had cashback without ever answering anyone, just asking questions. Never quite worked it out.

I am sure some people have worked out how to keep posting problems and keep answer each other until their bills are virtually wiped out.

I can't be bothered for saving a bit of tenner, better things to do!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's a 'phone stabber?

I think it refers to jabbing at the screen with your finger, so basically an odd way of describing a touch screen phone user.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for a smartphone for around the £80 mark, so this model seems ideal.
    However, after a bit of research some say the speaker volume is low.
    This isn't such a problem for me for music, etc but I do mainly use the speaker for calls rather than hold it to my ear.
    Please could anyone who has this mobile tell me if the volume for calls is loud enough and clear on speaker?
    If not, I'll have to look for another mobile instead.
    Thanks for any help. :)
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure