Options

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even though it's a little off topic, I need to update this:
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Three have e-mailed me offering all-you-can-eat data for a £3 monthly add-on ...
    I took a deep breath and rang Three CS. It turns out that that offer is for contract deals only, so my hope of adding it to a PAYG phone were dashed. Best online data add-on for PAYG seems to be £5 for up to 2 GB.

I was offered a £3 reduction in my all-you-can-eat data contract with otherwise unchanged terms and accepted that.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    Virgin have decent SIM only deals with big data allowances and they also allow tethering on them (no extra monies required). 30 day rolling contract as well. Worth a look.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re the comments about tethering..I'm with GiffGaff and go on the forums now and then. I have read that they can "catch" you tethering if they spot PC-specific things like Windows Updates etc (not sure if that's true). The very most they expect for a heavy user is 1GB an hour, and that's allowing for sleep, so, say, 16 hours a day or so. I use around 2GB a month as I'm a compulsive phone stabber :o

I got the Huawei for my mum's Xmas, which I duly unlocked via ebay (she's used my old K810i for years and years). Reading the raves on HUKD convinced me.

What a fantastic phone for the money!!! However, I do find the touchscreen can be a tad unresponsive..sometimes I need to press twice now and then.

Some are suggesting it might be the screen protector, but I've had them on all my phones and it's never been a problem.

My phone is Android 2.3.6, U8815V100R001C02B892. Assuming that's the latest version? How do others find the touchscreen? Not a lot of forum chatter about the G300 out there.

Had a quick try of calls and speakerphone, as some have moaned that there have been issues; all seems fine.

As for rooting, I wouldn't want to leave mum with a problem and invalidate the warranty, so she'll just have to put up with the bundled in Vodaphone apps.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    LouLou wrote: »
    Re the comments about tethering..I'm with GiffGaff and go on the forums now and then. I have read that they can "catch" you tethering if they spot PC-specific things like Windows Updates etc (not sure if that's true). The very most they expect for a heavy user is 1GB an hour, and that's allowing for sleep, so, say, 16 hours a day or so. I use around 2GB a month as I'm a compulsive phone stabber :o

I got the Huawei for my mum's Xmas, which I duly unlocked via ebay (she's used my old K810i for years and years). Reading the raves on HUKD convinced me.

What a fantastic phone for the money!!! However, I do find the touchscreen can be a tad unresponsive..sometimes I need to press twice now and then.

Some are suggesting it might be the screen protector, but I've had them on all my phones and it's never been a problem.

My phone is Android 2.3.6, U8815V100R001C02B892. Assuming that's the latest version? How do others find the touchscreen? Not a lot of forum chatter about the G300 out there.

Had a quick try of calls and speakerphone, as some have moaned that there have been issues; all seems fine.

As for rooting, I wouldn't want to leave mum with a problem and invalidate the warranty, so she'll just have to put up with the bundled in Vodaphone apps.

I hated the screen on mine with a protector on, much better without it. Even though its cheap phone it does have highly scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass so should last OK.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    Screen protectors on gorilla glass are completely redundant and they really DO affect sensitivity. Get it off :D
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2012 at 9:59PM
    Options
    I'm loathe to take it off..my own mobile phone is an S3 (had a Desire HD before) and screen sensitivity was never an issue with screen protectors. I have heard of Gorilla Glass ;) And it CAN scratch if you're careless. Might not be visible to the casual viewer, but I know people who have scratched phones, albeit mostly superficial ones.

I sent back two S3s due to scratches on the screen, too (bought Grade A/B from Smartfonestore via HUKD, though the Samsung S3 is Gorilla Glass 2), so I know GG is not exactly bullet-proof.

Was hoping a G300 firmware update might be on the cards but I read on Modaco that the latest one is B892. Bah.
  • d40eq6
    d40eq6 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    smiddle3 wrote: »
    Bought this yesterday through isme using voucher code - £102.95 inc postage but £30 discount applied and cashback due from quidco. Set for delivery tomorrow (fingers crossed reading some of the horror stories on here!). Complete newbie when it comes to smartphones but instead of repeating old questions already mentioned on here can someone just have a quick glance and let me know if there's anything glaringly obvious I'm forgetting/missing out...

1) get sim deal (like the look of the 3 deal discussed on here using topcashback) and unlock code off ebay
    2) get 2gb sd card and do ice cream sandwich update (in terms of idiots guide sort of level, how foolproof is sillygoose's procedure and is it similar/different to the one linked on page 5 of this thread? or should i just avoid doing this as a complete newb?)
    3) send my antique sony ericsson c902 to envirophone to bag myself an extra £10!

I've skimmed through this thread so any other start up tips that you think might come in handy would be much appreciated to. Cheers

Sillygoose is a legend. Definitely do the ICS upgrade. I have done it on 2 phones now and it works a treat.

Unlock codes bought for each phone. £5.55 each from the eBay seller mentioned on here. Both worked.

I am still on my old contract, but I have found a £6.90 sim only 12 month contract with 3 with reasonable allowance. There is great cash back on Quidco- about £50 last time I checked Monthly cost about £2.

Running the phone for 2 years means £5 a month with a quality free phone. Knocks the iPhone fanboys into a cocked hat IMHO.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    I'm loathe to take it off..my own mobile phone is an S3 (had a Desire HD before) and screen sensitivity was never an issue with screen protectors. I have heard of Gorilla Glass ;) And it CAN scratch if you're careless. Might not be visible to the casual viewer, but I know people who have scratched phones, albeit mostly superficial ones.

I sent back two S3s due to scratches on the screen, too (bought Grade A/B from Smartfonestore via HUKD, though the Samsung S3 is Gorilla Glass 2), so I know GG is not exactly bullet-proof.

Was hoping a G300 firmware update might be on the cards but I read on Modaco that the latest one is B892. Bah.

The G300 costs about a third of the price of a replacement screen on the S3. Get it off :D
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    The very most they expect for a heavy user is 1GB an hour, and that's allowing for sleep, so, say, 16 hours a day or so. I use around 2GB a month as I'm a compulsive phone stabber :o
    There are at least two things in that which I don't understand...
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I thought we had been asked by the rest of the forum not mention the G300 and how good and cheap it is, it annoys them :silenced: so I have contained myself.

Although I have tried a lot of software on it and its quite different now, apart from ICS I am using a nicer dialler, a better SMS program, new icons, new toggler (wifi, bluetooth etc on/off widget), new calendar, new weather widget, new email, fixed the spellchecker...etc.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure