Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Double check if it includes tethering (if that's important). Their usual AYCE £3 add on doesn't. (Though maybe this email offer you have is different??)

I thought with Android phones, the network provider wasn't able to work out whether you were simply using your data allowance on the phone or by tethering. With the iPhone, providers are able to monitor the usage owing to Apple's locked down software.
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d40eq6 wrote: »
    11 days later and still no phone from Isme. It's still sitting at the Yodel depot and I'm not allowed to go and collect it. Yodel have been completely useless- 2 calls to them and nothing back at all.

Finally gave up today and cancelled order with Isme. Spoke to South African call centre. Ordered a replacement to be sent out and they then processed the order twice without cancelling the original or recrediting me for postage. Further call to them this afternoon to rectify this with (this time) a UK call centre. Seems to have been resolved.

Lesson. £30 is not a lot when you have to factor in the time in dealing with incompetent companies!

For what it is worth my order with Very, with the same £30 off, was delivered the day after I ordered it. It's been here a couple of days now and if it wasn't for the fact that I can't figure out how to open the batter/sim cover I would be using it right now to write this message!

Give Very a try perhaps?
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    Woodyrocks wrote: »
    For what it is worth my order with Very, with the same £30 off, was delivered the day after I ordered it. It's been here a couple of days now and if it wasn't for the fact that I can't figure out how to open the batter/sim cover I would be using it right now to write this message!

Give Very a try perhaps?

Same company - different 'front' thats all.

Rear of phone facing you, fingernail (thumbnail if you don't like pain!) in slot on left (from rear) midway and pull towards you until it opens. Refit by pushing other side in first, slot side last - it just push fits on.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    I thought with Android phones, the network provider wasn't able to work out whether you were simply using your data allowance on the phone or by tethering. With the iPhone, providers are able to monitor the usage owing to Apple's locked down software.

IIRC there are apps available which 'hide' the fact you are tethering. Got this from that huge HUKD thread so no idea if it works?
  • sillygoose
    Options
    I wonder how 'sophisticated' they get? for instance GiffGaff knock people off the network if they think your doing it but its all secretive. The web traffic you generate for instance contains information about the browser your using - if they monitor this and pick up its 'Internet Explorer 9 for Windows' for example then you're not just browsing on a phone!
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Options
    Woodyrocks wrote: »

Give Very a try perhaps?

back flips off easier than any I've had

its got a coin slot to start you off and remember that it might look like metal but its only plastic so it won't break
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • smiddle3
    smiddle3 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bought this yesterday through isme using voucher code - £102.95 inc postage but £30 discount applied and cashback due from quidco. Set for delivery tomorrow (fingers crossed reading some of the horror stories on here!). Complete newbie when it comes to smartphones but instead of repeating old questions already mentioned on here can someone just have a quick glance and let me know if there's anything glaringly obvious I'm forgetting/missing out...

1) get sim deal (like the look of the 3 deal discussed on here using topcashback) and unlock code off ebay
    2) get 2gb sd card and do ice cream sandwich update (in terms of idiots guide sort of level, how foolproof is sillygoose's procedure and is it similar/different to the one linked on page 5 of this thread? or should i just avoid doing this as a complete newb?)
    3) send my antique sony ericsson c902 to envirophone to bag myself an extra £10!

I've skimmed through this thread so any other start up tips that you think might come in handy would be much appreciated to. Cheers
  • sillygoose
    Options
    smiddle3 wrote: »
    Bought this yesterday through isme using voucher code - £102.95 inc postage but £30 discount applied and cashback due from quidco. Set for delivery tomorrow (fingers crossed reading some of the horror stories on here!). Complete newbie when it comes to smartphones but instead of repeating old questions already mentioned on here can someone just have a quick glance and let me know if there's anything glaringly obvious I'm forgetting/missing out...

1) get sim deal (like the look of the 3 deal discussed on here using topcashback) and unlock code off ebay
    2) get 2gb sd card and do ice cream sandwich update (in terms of idiots guide sort of level, how foolproof is sillygoose's procedure and is it similar/different to the one linked on page 5 of this thread? or should i just avoid doing this as a complete newb?)
    3) send my antique sony ericsson c902 to envirophone to bag myself an extra £10!

I've skimmed through this thread so any other start up tips that you think might come in handy would be much appreciated to. Cheers

Nearly...
    Get a 16 or 32gb SD card, 2gb is just a minimum size for the update to have room to unpack in. Get a big one and use it for the upgrade, then just delete the upgrade file off and use for storage... lots of movies and music!
    You can get a 16gb for less than £6 delivered on Amazon
    The 3 deal is OK or GiffGaff for £10 (soon to go to £12 for unlimited data or stay at £10 for a big 1gb month) It more depends on how good a signal you get around home/work with the network your going with, ask other people what network they use and how well it picks up.

There is a lot of clever people making clever own version ROMs for these phones, if you want to play around with them then you need to do the more complex procedures.

If you just want to get a bargain phone up to the latest Android and give it a longer future life its a one off thing so you only need to use the method I have detailed, its really easy. So far several people have told me it worked and one didn't work - but he had already done some upgrades so that may be an issue. My method works fine on a standard phone.
  • smiddle3
    smiddle3 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks sillygoose, will look into the 16gb cards. I can't see myself being a heavy data user, will mainly just be for downloading the odd music file and maybe a few apps to help with my golf game so I thought the 500mb that comes with the 3 deal would suffice. I've had 3 before and the signal was fine I believe. By the sounds of it your method would probably be best for me as a starting point so I'll try that and hopefully not have any problems touch wood! I noticed you mentioned in a previous post about running the battery down before charging it up again, is it best to do this and then do the update or wont it make a difference?
  • sillygoose
    Options
    smiddle3 wrote: »
    Thanks sillygoose, will look into the 16gb cards. I can't see myself being a heavy data user, will mainly just be for downloading the odd music file and maybe a few apps to help with my golf game so I thought the 500mb that comes with the 3 deal would suffice. I've had 3 before and the signal was fine I believe. By the sounds of it your method would probably be best for me as a starting point so I'll try that and hopefully not have any problems touch wood! I noticed you mentioned in a previous post about running the battery down before charging it up again, is it best to do this and then do the update or wont it make a difference?

and of course you can download music whilst on wifi for free and save your data allowance. Charge phone to full and update it, will be fine. Although li-ion batteries don't suffer memory effects (remembering less than full charge) Android likes to profile the battery so its good to show it the full range flat-100% to get accurate display, do after updating as updating will erase previous data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure