Kids Xmas, Tablet for Kids

Options

Comments

• Del_Astra
    Options
    We got our DS who is 5 the innotab last Christmas. I does get used and played with. Make sure you get a charger, batteries lasted 20 minutes, more expensive duracell's last 1.5 - 2 hours. Of course it is for "babies" and he wants to play on the ipad, he isn't even allowed to touch it.

I still think at 6 they are too young for a "proper" tablet, have you considered the playbook? at £129 they are more affordable and you certainly get a very good bit of kit at that price. I think at that age it is very likely the thing will just get broken.
  • GobbledyGook
    Options
    I don't get the assumption that any young children with access to an iPad will either a) break it, b) become addicted to it or c) become increasingly demanding for future gifts. Do we not give children (or parents) any credit at all anymore?

My girls (now 9 and 6) got an iPad last Christmas. Elder really wanted one and younger loves using my friends when she comes to visit. They love it and it gets used loads, yet is still in great condition because they respect that they have to look after their toys and games. They also still spend hours playing with their dolls house and out on their bikes.

Yes it's expensive, but it'll last much longer than most of the 'tablet computers' specifically aimed at children. I also think it's a false economy to pay £100+ for one of the inferior (imo) ones on the market rather than paying a little more for one that will last much longer.

For their birthdays my daughters wanted a paddling pool (younger) and roller skates (elder) which were less than £20 so getting the iPad for Christmas hasn't turned them into spoilt brats who demand more and more expensive things.

Even though they got it for Christmas and they believe in Father Christmas they believe that some of the tax that adults pay from their wages goes towards paying FC's wages and paying for all the gifts so you have to be careful with things. Before anyone jumps on me - eldest daughter heard her father commenting about paying tax from his wages and asked about it and was told it paid for things like schools and hospitals and decided for herself that FC couldn't do it all himself that's where some of it went.

OP if you are getting your son a tablet computer then research all the options and get the best one for your family. If that is the iPad then don't let people's opinion that you are the one making a status point put you off buying it. It's only a status symbol if you want it to be and/or allow it to be.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2012 at 2:20PM
    Options
    I don't get the assumption that any young children with access to an iPad will either a) break it, b) become addicted to it or c) become increasingly demanding for future gifts. Do we not give children (or parents) any credit at all anymore?

Yes it's expensive, but it'll last much longer than most of the 'tablet computers' specifically aimed at children. I also think it's a false economy to pay £100+ for one of the inferior (imo) ones on the market rather than paying a little more for one that will last much longer.

Well l've learnt from this thread that my parenting days are at an end. No more helping with homework or learning my DS about the world or remembering his manners because now he has access to an iPad he's spoiled beyond redemption. :D

After weighing up all the others on the market l think what we've chosen is the best moneysaving option but apparently l've done it for status. :eek: Not quite sure how anyone is going to know about this as he won't be wearing it on his head or have it stuck to the windscreen of the car when we go out, but hey ho! :rotfl:

ETA: I know my DS is old enough and well behaved enough to look after one, if he was a brat then of course it would be an absolute no. (And no l'm not saying those who won't let their kids have one on here have brats!)

Happy moneysaving all.
  • NewKittenHelp
    Options
    sassyblue wrote: »
    Well l've learnt from this thread that my parenting days are at an end. No more helping with homework or learning my DS about the world or remembering his manners because now he has access to an iPad he's spoiled beyond redemption. :D

After weighing up all the others on the market l think what we've chosen is the best moneysaving option but apparently l've done it for status. :eek: Not quite sure how anyone is going to know about this as he won't be wearing it on his head or have it stuck to the windscreen of the car when we go out, but hey ho! :rotfl:

You're not meant to do that?!!!:eek:
  • MrsNorthman
    Options
    We got our DD a tablet for her 5th birthday, she said she wanted an iPad as I have one. We looked at innotabs and leap pads but ended up getting her a £70 android tablet, works better than I thought and DD is really good with it, she doesnt play on it all the time and does take good care of it, it will grow with her as she can get newer age appropriate apps as she grows, the innotab/leap pad wont last long as they grow out of them.

I would never buy an iPad for a 5/6 year old, it is far too much money to spend on one gift to begin with and I just think they should prove they are willing to look after something like that before they get to have one. Although this is just my opinion.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know much about these things but my DS8 has used his uncles Ipad and now would like something similar.

He did say he would like a kindle earlier in the year as he's abit of a bookworm, and I understand that they can be used in this way as well as the games apps, but is there any educational content and if so where can I browse it please?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    Options
    lallysmum wrote: »
    My 5 year old (will be 6 by Christmas) is getting one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JVDM1W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

They look fab...not got much money (hey who has), and not being very au fait with technobabble, do you think they would be good for an 11yr old girl and a 13 year old boy?
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2012 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I really don't know how much clearer I can be - the Playbook is counter-intuitive -

Well you would be much clearer if you used wordings that my kids could understand, ie. it's got this app and this facility but not x or y.
    I know, I've used one. All the reviews say the same. And it's made by a company that is failing - seriously failing
    If I were in your shoes I would have researched all available options.

I have looked at reviews, quite a few and they were 90% positive. The fact that YOU used one is only one opinion amongst many.
    The Playbook is essentially a slightly larger smart phone without phone capabilities and user friendliness.

PERFECT! That's useful information :)That is exactly what my kids want, something like my phone, a bit bigger, and if it can have a word/excel/powerpoint applications and able to print (which the tablet does), then that is ideal for the value.
    You've obviously made your choice and won't change your mind, but I'm betting that come February, you'll wish you hadn't wasted £350 (or whatever you've paid for the two of them) on two things that are never used.

Ha, interesting that you seem to think you know my kids better than I :) Give me some credit, I wouldn't be buying something at that price without some idea that they will be very happy with it! Anyway, two days and I'll be able to let you know my view on it!
    but I'm very anti-Playbook because I've never used a piece of technology as bad as it in my life. And I was a PC user until I was 21!

But you might have totally different user needs than my children. At least I would hope your needs of a computer are slightly higher than that of a 6yo, so really, it's not because something is not worth the money to you that it isn't for a young child.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    webitha wrote: »
    They look fab...not got much money (hey who has), and not being very au fait with technobabble, do you think they would be good for an 11yr old girl and a 13 year old boy?

They do look good ... before I read this thread it would never have occurred to me to get one for my just-turned-7 year old, but now I'm thinking about it. I've got him a second hand scooter, but as far as we know Santa doesn't recycle gifts so that will be from us.
    52% tight
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2012 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Here's the thread about the playbook if anyone's interested.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4140297&page=4
    52% tight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family